Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-21-2021, 12:57 AM   #1
SmithBruce
SmithBruce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cool ePub Verification not accepted for Kobo

Hi
I have been using Calibre for several years to prepare my eBooks.
I always verify (HTML/ePUB) these using calibre.
I have never had any problems uploading these files to Amazon.
I have recently tried to upload to Kobo (same files) for the first time.
The ePUB was rejected due to errors – about 102 of them! Two of them ‘fatal’.
I understand what the errors are but not sure why they would not be ‘seen’ by the HTML and Amazon ePub book check?
Thanks, Bruce
SmithBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Because they will be using different varieties of checker, one more harmful than the other.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithBruce View Post
Hi
I have been using Calibre for several years to prepare my eBooks.
I always verify (HTML/ePUB) these using calibre.
I have never had any problems uploading these files to Amazon.
I have recently tried to upload to Kobo (same files) for the first time.
The ePUB was rejected due to errors – about 102 of them! Two of them ‘fatal’.
I understand what the errors are but not sure why they would not be ‘seen’ by the HTML and Amazon ePub book check?
Thanks, Bruce
Are you using epubcheck to check your files? You can add it as a plugin to calibre's editor or you can use the online epub validator though I would recommend the local install if you are going to check more than one or two books.

You might also want to post the results of running epubcheck (please wrap the results in spoiler tags (the eye with an X icon)).

While at times, I agree that epubcheck is a bit anal about it's checking, if an epub doesn't pass epubcheck, most epub ebook vendors will not accept it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #4
SmithBruce
SmithBruce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks David, I believe I did that!
Just don't understand how it is accepted by Amazon and not Kobo...
Bruce
SmithBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithBruce View Post
Thanks David, I believe I did that!
Just don't understand how it is accepted by Amazon and not Kobo...
Because they consider different things to be problems. Kobo is going to use the epub and transform it to kepub. Amazon is going to convert it to one or all of MOBI, AZW3 and KFX. What each of them consider to be an error depends on what is going to be a problem when doing those things.

As to the actual validation, according to https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec, Kobo uses EPUBCheck version 4.2.4. I don't know what Amazon uses. It is likely to be their own validator. But, if they use EPUBCheck, they could easily be using a different version of EPUBCheck and that gives different results.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I upload epub2 to Smashwords. They then also forward to B&N, Kobo, Apple etc.

If TOC is Ok, Links are ok and epub2 check in Calibre is OK and it's sane on the Calibre Viewer and Kobo Libra, then Smashwords never has a problem, and it appears on B&N, Kobo, Apple etc when Premium Approved.

Amazon is less fussy. But now I only upload the epub2 to Amazon that's pass visual on Kobo Libra, Calibre Viewer and passed both local epub check and Smashword's Premium check.

Years ago, we'd have seen books pass Amazon with errors and poor formatting. I've downloaded other people's books from Amazon with poor TOC or bad formatting. We also used to upload docx to Amazon, but sometimes page breaks were missing. Eventually they said to upload the same epub2 we sent to Smashwords or converted by Smashwords. They know who Smashwords are!

Last edited by Quoth; 04-22-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, errors, kodo, verification