Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4
Unwanted extra spaces in Comment section

I use the Comment section to add books information that will show up in my reader when I import the books. Since the 4.x version, I've been seeing unwanted spaces between some paragraphs.

Is there a way to prevent Calibre 4.6 from inserting extra spaces between para in the comment section. Even when I remove the unwanted spaces, they reappear. See examples below.

Normal View
Quote:
klib
word count: 158, 351;
[unwanted space]

Age of Swords, Legends of the First Empire, book 2;
[unwanted space]

The gods have been proven mortal and new heroes will arise as the battle continues in the sequel to Age of Myth—from the author of the Riyria Revelations and Riyria Chronicles series.

In Age of Myth, fantasy master Michael J. Sullivan launched readers on an epic journey of magic and adventure, heroism and betrayal, love and loss. Now the thrilling saga continues as the human uprising is threatened by powerful enemies from without—and bitter rivalries from within.
HTML Source view
Quote:
<div>
<p style="font-weight: 600"><span style="color: #55aa00">klib</span></p>
<p style="font-weight: 600"><span style="color: #55aa00">word count: 158, 351;</span></p>
<p><br></p>
<p>Age of Swords, Legends of the First Empire, book 2; </p>
<p><br></p>
<p style="font-weight: 600">The gods have been proven mortal and new heroes will arise as the battle continues in the sequel to <em>Age of Myth—</em>from the author of the Riyria Revelations and Riyria Chronicles series.</p>
<p><strong><br></strong>In <em>Age of Myth,</em> fantasy master Michael J. Sullivan launched readers on an epic journey of magic and adventure, heroism and betrayal, love and loss. Now the thrilling saga continues as the human uprising is threatened by powerful enemies from without—and bitter rivalries from within.</p>
<p><br>Raithe, the God Killer, may have started the rebellion by killing. . .
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:01 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->Look & feel->Book details->Styling

add

p { margin: 0}
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Preferences->Look & feel->Book details->Styling

add

Thanks Kovid. I tried it and before I knew if it works or not, I deleted the entire text in, Preferences->Look & feel->Book details->Styling

Anyway, some of the books' comments section is now okay and some the same with the extra spaces. All this with a blank Styling section. I daresay when the next update arrives, the Styling section will repopulate .

Happy Holidays to everyone !
Old 12-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want it to repopulate click the restore defaults button. It not going to re-populate by itself.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
C-novice
ReadingZealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you want it to repopulate click the restore defaults button. It not going to re-populate by itself.

Wonderful!
Thanks Kovid. I'll remember that.
Advert
Old 01-12-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
wjBLqf-_9
Enthusiast
wjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None
I've tried adding this fix... the text I add

always disappears from the text styling section

What am I doing wrong?
wjBLqf-_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #7
wjBLqf-_9
Enthusiast
wjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Sorry.. I got it to "stay" after I added it to the very top + restarted calibre :-)

However! this does not change the behavior... it modifies the comments field of my text to inject "<p><br></p>" between each of my lines of text.

(this is new as of Calibre 4.x)
Old 01-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #8
wjBLqf-_9
Enthusiast

(I would still kindly request restoring pre-4.x behavior by default)

In the mean time
A manual work around... I created a BulkEdit Search Template

Search for:
<p><br></p>

Replace with:
<p>&nbsp;</p>
Old 06-05-2021, 10:32 PM   #9
nwgal
nwgal began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I am having this same problem - extra spaces in the comments section every time I paste text in this section. For every paragraph, I get two paragraphs. Is there a simple fix to this?
nwgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comments, extra spaces; spaces