Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Blackguard
Enthusiast
Blackguard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Customer service story (positive)

I just wanted to share my customer service story with Amazon. I'm already a big fan of Amazon and it is my go-to online retailer for nearly everything non-book and book too.

I had not updated my launch Kindle 2 (Feb '09) to the 2.5 firmware, so last weekend I decided to do that on a whim by turning on the 3G. I could tell that it was downloading the update and left it alone for a little while. When I came back to it about 30 minutes later, the device was bricked (with the 'Repair Needed, please call Amazon at the following number' message). This was a completely unmodified K2 (ie. no hacks installed), so I was a little miffed. The K2 had never given me any problems and it is probably my favorite piece of gadgetry and was in pristine condition. I was a little concerned because it was out of warranty (by a good 6 months). I called the number on the display and the first level representative quickly bumped my call up to tech support. They must have recognized the problem and bascially just replaced the K2 at no cost, overnight shipping and all. It was the easiest tech call I've had to make in the past decade, and probably took less than 15 minutes all together. My new kindle arrived 2 days later (Sunday -> Tuesday : probably overnighted from Monday). I put my old kindle in the new box and shipped it back at no cost via UPS.

My replacement K2 looks brand-new (it could be a well-preserved refurb also) and the 2.5 update is great. That is why I'm a loyal Amazon fan.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
rsmin
rsmin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle GDX
Amazing

Thanks for sharing that. They are amazing at how they handle people. Customer service departments from other companies could learn from Amazon.

Rusty
rsmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
That is so good to know I am thinking about getting the new kindle 3 wifi only. I have a bunch of kindle books that I read on kindle4pc.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
They are amazing at how they handle people. Customer service departments from other companies could learn from Amazon.

Rusty
This be troo.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
My kindle got that message too, so living in Australia I thought I would just try a hard restart. Worked like a dream.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Blackguard
Enthusiast
Blackguard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
My kindle got that message too, so living in Australia I thought I would just try a hard restart. Worked like a dream.
I tried that also and it got into a weird reboot loop. I finally got it to get into the (undocumented) recovery mode, connected it to my computer so I could get all of my books off before I sent it in.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
it's really a wonderful service.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote