Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wow, this screen freeze thing on Jetbook Lite is scaring me...

I ordered one for my hubby last Thursday and not I am thinking I may just send it back without even opening it. Anyone had one for awhile?
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I am sure there are those who have had their's longer than I've had mine,
(since 29 Dec 2009). I've had no problem in the month I've had it.

The gadget gods have been very good to me though, I never seem to run
into as many problems, with the electronics I acquire, as some who post to
newsgroups or forums.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Screen freezes are rare. No worries.

Although JetBook occasionally freezes up, so do other ebook readers. That's what the reset button is for.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Don't panic!

Do use an SD card for your books.
Do use single folders (not folders inside folders inside folders)
So it stays a single layer deep.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
clerky96
Connoisseur

I have a Kindle 1 and it has frozen on me twice, but I was able to reset and all was fine. Two people who have just recently gotten jbl's have had problems and the device will not reset. They are having to send them back to the company. That is what worries me. I should have said that I am not worried about the freezing screen, but worried about the fact that they won't reset. Their units were only a week to a month old. I am going to call Newegg today and find out what their return policy is on unopened packages and go from there. If they are going to charge me a large restocking fee, that, along with the cost of shipping the item back may be more than I am willing to lose. If so, guess I will just keep it or try to sell it. I know it is crazy to worry about something that hasn't even happened, but I am a "worrier" and can't help it.
If this screen freezing is an issue, I hope they come up with a "fix" quickly.
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Clerky, I sent mine to be repaired/replaced on Thursday. I continue to have a positive attitude because so many here have had their devices without any problems. I'm not worried, so I recommend that you not worry either.

My experience with electronics is that they usually fail three weeks after the warranty expires! So I'm glad that the problem was discovered early.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
clerky96
Connoisseur

Thanks GA, I am trying to stay positive. Got confirmation that it was shipped from Memphis today, so should have it in a few days.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
I loved my JBL before I ran into the screen freeze problem. Today when I called to get a RMA number to return my Jetbook Lite I was asked if I wanted an exchange or my money back. I decided I just wanted an exchange. The freeze problem seems to not be common and most people are happy and satisified with their Jetbook readers.
There havent been a lot of complaints with frozen screens, only a few of us have experienced it. Hopefully I made the right decision.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
wackywalt
wackywalt began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook Lite
good luck GA Russell and Linda!
I ordered another JBL from Newegg for my sister and have confidence in it
wackywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
I'm not sure why you have such huge worries- the vast majority are not having such problems. Why not just put the reader to good use and wait to see if you ever have any problems..?
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS650 View Post
I'm not sure why you have such huge worries- the vast majority are not having such problems. Why not just put the reader to good use and wait to see if you ever have any problems..?
Agree. I have regular jetBook (purchased it more than one year ago) and jetBook-Lite(purchased several months ago) and don't have freezing problem.
My wife has another jetBook and don't have freezing problem too.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
i've lived under the jetBook ruling with 2 jetBooks and a jetBook LITE - never encountered a screen freeze problem ever though.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
JeffHVT
JeffHVT began at the beginning.

Device: Jet Book Lite
add me to the JBL 'locked up' list

Just returned my JBL to Ectaco, after trying every solution that I could find on the internet, including leaving the batteries out overnight. Tech support says it happens sometimes on upgrading and there is no solution (after trying the obvious, like the reset button,) other than returning for service. I had upgraded to 14n, a couple of weeks ago, and it locked up while reading a book. After reset, it would not get beyond the Jetbook Lite screen. Have ordered another for my wife, as I didn't want to wait the week for turnaround. Sure hope this doesn't continue to be a problem!
JeffHVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #14
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Interesting admission

That is an interesting admission from customer service. They must have been looking at some of the units that were returned. There must be a timing bug in their software update code. I will have to look at that code to see with a jtag device. I could never understand why it was taking so long to upgrade anyway. I have some units I wrote the software for that have more code and don't take more than 3 to 4 minutes to upgrade.

Interesting......

Has anyone else that has seen the signon screen freeze problem updated their firmware themselves ?
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
clerky96
Connoisseur

Quote:
I'm not sure why you have such huge worries- the vast majority are not having such problems.
Because I am a natural worrier, and because it seems some people are just the ones that "if something can go wrong; it usually does".