Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Heavy sigh re DRM

So this morning I went to BooksOnBoard and bought two ebooks. One was adobe DRM (a PDF book) and one was available only as MS Reader.

I bought both figuring I'd remove the DRM and add them to my own library for reading on my various readers.

I'm batting zero here though. The Adobe DRM removal software I have could not handle this PDF, and CLIT (both versions 1.5 and 1.8) barfed on the MS Reader one. sigh. The PDF is not a serious problem since I can read it fine on my Sony reader...but now I will have to read this LIT file on my PC.

Color me annoyed....
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
CLIT (both versions 1.5 and 1.8) barfed on the MS Reader one.
Did the "downconvert" fail? ConvertLIT is known to sometimes have problems exploding LIT to an OEB ebook, but the actual DRM removal (downconvert) usually works. Once you have a DRM-free LIT, Calibre can convert it to ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
'Downconvert' didn't seem to do anything. The destination directory stayed empty.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
You might get better help posting over to the E-Book Format forums..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
'Downconvert' didn't seem to do anything. The destination directory stayed empty.
Try the option to leave the result in the original directory, renamed .downconvert.lit (or something).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert