Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Books based on blogs

I am curious if anyone has ever read/enjoyed a book based on a blog. I have Julia/Julia in my TBR pile but have not read it yet. However, I am currently reading a book based on a blog, and it's terrible. It's about an English woman who moves to France, and while parts of the story do appeal to me (I love the little French colloquialisms she sprinkles in) the author has a really annoying writing style. She overuses the -ly words, and misapplies descriptive things (for example, she'll write a sentence like 'I fastened the buttons with an impatient finger.' I get the mood she is trying to convey, but I keep hearing my college writing instructor's voices in my head going 'fingers can't be impatient!') Also, some of her writing on how she starts the blog date her a little. At one point, she polls her fellow office staff on whether they have ever heard of a blog before, and nobody has. Lady, we're reading the book, we're all on board with the concept! This area of the narrative could easily have been abridged.

In all, I felt the book came across as a little more amateur than most writing I pay for, and I am sorry I didn't look at this in a real bookstore first. I was interested in the topic, thought it was a memoir and didn't realize it was based on a blog until afterward. I'm a little sorry I bought this.

Last edited by ficbot; 10-26-2009 at 09:03 AM.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
"Blood Sweat and Tea" by Tom Reynolds is based on his blog about working for the London Ambulance Service. He writes about the trials and tribulations of working for the government and dealing with the public.

I spent much of my slave-hood doing just that, (not on the ambulances), so there was a lot that was familiar to me. I enjoyed "Blood Sweat and Tea" greatly. There's a sequel which is more of the same stories.

The ebook of "Blood Sweat and Tea" is free in various formats at -

http://manybooks.net/titles/reynolds...tAndTeaCC.html
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
"Blood Sweat and Tea" by Tom Reynolds is based on his blog about working for the London Ambulance Service. He writes about the trials and tribulations of working for the government and dealing with the public.

I spent much of my slave-hood doing just that, (not on the ambulances), so there was a lot that was familiar to me. I enjoyed "Blood Sweat and Tea" greatly. There's a sequel which is more of the same stories.

The ebook of "Blood Sweat and Tea" is free in various formats at -

http://manybooks.net/titles/reynolds...tAndTeaCC.html
huh, i just stumbled across this book last week and downloaded it. glad to hear your recommendation.

i've bought books by 2 authors because i liked their blogs before i had read anything else by them (one of them only published after i had been reading his blog off and on for a few years), although i don't know if this counts because i don't think these books were really "based on" these blogs. what do you mean by that ? inspired by but then rewritten, or litterally a compilation of blog posts ?

one of the ones i bought was disappointing (and in fact i've not finished it yet, and i bought it months ago) partly because it was actually almost nothing like the blog neither in content nor in style really. the other one was brilliant and i've now bought his second book (Mil Millington).

what is the book you're talking about ? it sounds like a book a friend of mine just finished, only it's written by a man (and i've got no idea whether he was writing a blog as well).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not based on a blog, but Jeffrey Deaver's recent crime novel "Roadside Crosses" features a blog as the main element of the story, and one is encouraged to read the pages on-line (it's not a "live" blog, but the site is "live") as they are referred to in the book (all the URLs are given). It's an excellent novel, with a real "sting in the tail".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
How about the other way round. I discovered John Scalzi's Blog "Whatever" after buying his pbook old mans war :-)
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Well, Belle de Jour seems to have started with a blog on life as a sex worker, then a TV series (where she was played by Billie Piper) and some books. Someone must be enjoying them.

http://belledejour-uk.blogspot.com/
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The book is Petite Anglaise and she's friends with Belle du Jour and mentions her in the book There was one particularly purple passage I thought I bookmarked, but I can't find it now. When she's being honest---describing her beautiful Paris, for example---the book has its moments. But when she tries to be cute or clever, it all falls apart. It makes me think of this wall we had in my Grade 4 classroom called 'Instead of Said...' where we posted cue cards with every possible variation on 'said' that we could think of. This was supposed to add 'variety' to our writing, which is fine when you are in grade 4, but I had a college writing teacher who was horrified when she heard of this wall I think Petite Anglaise must have her own 'Instead of...' wall with all sorts of different words...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but...
John Scalzi, Your Hate Mail Will be Graded.
Raymond Chen, The Old New Thing.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Jen Lancaster started her career with a blog. But she is light and frothy and humourous (with a bit of a mean streak). So not sure if that is the kind of book you would be looking for.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Wil Wheaton just recently released Memories of The Future which started as a blog (Wil calls them columns) on TV Squad.

Very entertaining stuff, if you are at all into Star Trek TNG. Currently only available as POD and PDF from lulu.com. The PDF does a reasonable conversion with Calibre. Readable, but with all the blemishes that come with a PDF conversion.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
I saw the movie Julia/Julia. Loved it!! Came home and immediately download the book in spite of the poor reviews.
It has been the only book I will not finish reading so far this year. (I rarely do not finish a book) But this was horrible........ It was much to vulgar for my taste and the main character Julia was obnoxious and whiney. I can see why Julia Child wanted nothing to do with it.
To me, this was the rare case where the Movie was better than the book.
To be fair the book was based also off her memoirs "My Life in France", I bought that but have not read it as this book left such a sour taste in my mouth. (pun intended)
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
melbournian
Colonial chapette
melbournian began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Waiter Rant, based on the blog of the same name. It's pretty self explanatory. I bought it as a treat for getting a full time job and getting out of the waitressing biz, although I actually love my old job and can't wait to go back to it next year...
melbournian is offline   Reply With Quote