Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
To amplify upon what RWood has said-- and thank you, Patricia, mtravellerh, Drezin, and others for the kind words - oftentimes an author will later revise his or her work, and sometimes extensively.

My "exptertise" (if you want to call it that), actually resides more with Henry James, and with more than a passing nod toward Charles Dickens and Anthonly Trollope. (I've assembled quite a number of Trollope's work for MobileRead.) I have my entire Library in the U.S., safely protected in a climate-controlled storage. There, (for example), I have over 20 hardback critical editions on Charles Dickens's work that I used as reference material. A few of these were Doctoral Dissertations. An expert on Dickens (I was informed), had retired, unloading his entire library - and not only of Dickens. On one trip alone, I purchased almost 20 of these hardback First Editions. Since the professor was a white male and active in academia in the 60s-80s, most of these books did not deal with the more popular literary theorists I was studying at the time I was working toward my Ph.D. in Literature (not completed), such as Adorno, Bakhtin, Lacan, (some Derrida thrown in for torture - haha), Jameson, Kristeva, Rorty, Kenneth Burke; and structuralism/semiotics; postcoloniolism; and New Historicism, of course - to name the ones that seemed to occupy my waking life. (I mistyped that as "walking," which is also true - hahah). Rather, these other theorists (in the books I bought on Dickens and Trollope), dealt more with character analyses/psychoanalytic criticism, Archetypal Myth Criticism - in other words, standard critical terms of the day when White Males ruled in academia.

Strangely, these books made a great addition to my understanding of these authors whom I admire, however relient upon this "old-fashioned," "out-moded" critical practice is - critical theories which are highly suspect in today's critical methodological arena practiced by academics.

The question, innocently posed, was, do I know the difference "between this version and the one that is for sale." No, I don't, but I can safely assume it is also a PD file. My knowledge of Fitzgerald is not as great, for example, as Henry James. Henry James, as one example, completely revised his Tales, often revising them extensively.

I can tell you with authority that the stories in The Complete Tales of Henry James differ markedly from the various stories in The Novels And Tales of Henry James [this is the New York Edition]. I point this out to emphasize that James often reworked his earlier work. He was tireless in this regard; some of his magazine versions are often quite different from his later, reworked editions.

Unfortunately, my entire Henry James - and very extensive, it is - is not with me at the moment. I long to see their spines on my bookshelves. (And here in Peru, at this moment, I have NO BOOKSHELVES.) When in the U.S., I had six shelves filled with my collection, lovingly attended to and looked after with great affection. Any time I needed to be reassured, I would pull out one of my books and start reading.

Well, enough whining. This is written very quickly and some of the sentences probably make no sense.

I'm glad that a number of important authors/collections are being made available here on MobileRead, writers and collections such as Fitzgerald (that I'm working on), Henry James (Patricia), Charles Dickens (Harry), and the Harvard Classics (RWood) - to name just a few. If I've left out a member here on MobileRead, it's only through my own oversight at this moment.

I might add that my contributions, although seemingly diverse, really concentrate on two aspects: the literary and those within the horror/pulp genre. Sometimes, the literary gets lost due to my heavy concentration for the past year on the pulp aspect. Nevertheless, I'm having fun. My one regret is that due to my first hard drive crash about 2 years ago, much of my "important" assemblies (but only because there weren't very many of us here doing this), was lost. I want to go back in and add the em dashes, or correct horrible mistakes. To do so now, would be to start all over from the very beginning. I can use ABC Amber Sony converter, but what about my illustrations and/or photos....all lost.

Well, this is really rambling, so I'll end.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote