Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #616
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I am another ex-Stanza user who misses the reader and haven't been able to find something that matches it. It was really a terrific reader, and you don't really appreciate all it did till it's gone.

I tried Bluefire and it's a very good reader with potential. Thanks to Micah for posting here and trying to fill the void.

I think if I had to choose two features it's missing that I wish it had most it would be these two in this order:

1) The ability to sort by the tags already in the epub -- ie, Biographies, Fiction etc. I really miss this feature that Stanza had.

2) An easier way to import epubs into the reader, either through directly connecting with Calibre or with a user OPDS library.

If Bluefire had just these two things, I would be a happy camper.

RIP Stanza.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #617
mallard13
mallard13 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S, Palm Tx & 1st Gen iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by broberds View Post
Hi Micah,

When I open Bluefire after being out of it for a while, it "forgets" the book I'm reading and takes me back to Library. I'd love to just come back to where I left off in the book I'm reading.
There is a 'Now Reading' Menu Selection at the bottom of the opening screen. I realise that's one more 'tap' on the screen, but.....
mallard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 02:27 AM   #618
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I have just started using Bluefire, which is a great reader. I have one issue on ios5 though in my iPad2 the page orientation lock is not being saved. Is this a bug or what?
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:06 AM   #619
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I'm assuming he means RMDSK 9.3 (Bluefire is using 9.2, I believe?).
Yes, we are using 9.2. Is there a particular feature in 9.3 that interests you?
Hyphenation is what particularly interests me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #620
broberds
broberds began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard13 View Post
There is a 'Now Reading' Menu Selection at the bottom of the opening screen. I realise that's one more 'tap' on the screen, but.....
True, getting back to the book is no big deal, but when this happens I also find that settings like orientation lock and night mode have been forgotten, requiring me to set those again, which in Bluefire on a 3GS takes quite a while.
broberds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #621
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Calibre integration would be nice, +1
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #622
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by broberds View Post
Hi Micah,

When I open Bluefire after being out of it for a while, it "forgets" the book I'm reading and takes me back to Library. I'd love to just come back to where I left off in the book I'm reading.
Understood. Thanks for the input.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #623
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I am another ex-Stanza user who misses the reader and haven't been able to find something that matches it. It was really a terrific reader, and you don't really appreciate all it did till it's gone.

I tried Bluefire and it's a very good reader with potential. Thanks to Micah for posting here and trying to fill the void.

I think if I had to choose two features it's missing that I wish it had most it would be these two in this order:

1) The ability to sort by the tags already in the epub -- ie, Biographies, Fiction etc. I really miss this feature that Stanza had.

2) An easier way to import epubs into the reader, either through directly connecting with Calibre or with a user OPDS library.

If Bluefire had just these two things, I would be a happy camper.

RIP Stanza.
Thanks for the input. Because we use RMSDK as our EPUB parser, doing #1 is harder than one might think, but I'll look into that. There's a couple ways to skin #2 and we are considering which way to go there.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #624
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
I have just started using Bluefire, which is a great reader. I have one issue on ios5 though in my iPad2 the page orientation lock is not being saved. Is this a bug or what?
A couple people have reported that. Looking into it.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #625
Pucko
Pucko began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
I'll take a look at that. Thanks
Well, thank you! I sent you an email about this several months ago.

I've also sent you a couple of suggestions that would improve your reader even more...

...You're not very good in answering mails, though.
Pucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #626
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Hyphenation is what particularly interests me.
Yea that makes sense. There is a new renderer in RMSDK that should provide that, but we know that it is a bit slower than the one we use currently, so there are tradeoffs. Not clear yet when we'll be able to take the time to really explore those tradeoffs and possibly make a decision to switch. We have a few other really higher priority features on our list, and some *major* features to look hard at (e.g. EPUB 3 support). So, even though hyphenation would be a big improvement, that feature is probably not coming in the near future - sorry to say.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #627
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucko View Post
Well, thank you! I sent you an email about this several months ago.

I've also sent you a couple of suggestions that would improve your reader even more...

...You're not very good in answering mails, though.
Yea, I get over 100 emails every day, so I struggle with that. Did you send the email to me or to "info"?
-Micah
Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #628
broberds
broberds began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
A couple people have reported that. Looking into it.
It's not just the iPad 2 either. My iPhone 3GS with iOS 5 has the same problem. Forgets orientation lock and also forgets night mode. Not every time, but quite often.
broberds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #629
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Yea, I get over 100 emails every day, so I struggle with that. Did you send the email to me or to "info"?
-Micah
Micah.. I'm glad to see a developer who participates with the community. I understand the "issues" of your participation here. You are bombarded with questions/suggestions and open to criticism. Yet you choose to be here and you take note.

I just wanted to thank you for being here.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #630
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I will be using Bluefire as my Stanza replacement. I appreciate Micah's involvement in the community. As I noted, my primary concern is still being able to see the clock display while reading (I was reading a couple paperbacks recently, borrowed from friends, and I was picking up my phone every 5~10 mins to check the time! bad habit I know but I'm usually trying to just sneak in a few minutes of reading when I can, so I need that easy time display), and it still bothers me that my epubs are shifted to the right. But now that Sugarsync has fixed its mobile app so that I can open books from any ebook reader, Bluefire has the best support and support going forward that I can see. Thank you.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote