Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Change SYM from Russian to English

I have a K3 that I bought used. The language seems to be set in English, all except for the "SYM" symbols, which has what appears to be Russian symbols, instead of the symbols "1, 2, 3,..." and so on. The only method I have found is one by the user "thomass," described in an old thread, which doesn't work for me as it involves the symbol 8, which I do not currently have.

Quote:
; DebugOn
~ ChangeLocale en-US.utf8
; DebugOff
Does anyone know of another way to fix this?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
try: en-US to get the 8 back
then: en-US.utf8
The symbol 8 is the same encoding in both, so the above might work.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just to clarify, you're saying I should do these steps?

Quote:
;DebugOn
~ChangeLocale en-US
~ChangeLocale en-US.utf8
;DebugOff
I tried these steps and it didn't work. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 04-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
Just to clarify, you're saying I should do these steps?
- - - -
I tried these steps and it didn't work. Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, that is what I meant.
But it was just a guess, as the encoding is usually optional.

Whatever it is set to, it isn't Russian:
https://www.google.com/#q=russian+numbers
They use the same glyphs that most countries use: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Old 04-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
sneakyspider

Oh, my mistake then. I can't figure out what it is, though. It's proving to be a bit of a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-19831.gif
Views:	103
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	156387  
Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Oh, my mistake then. I can't figure out what it is, though. It's proving to be a bit of a problem.
That is a K3?
I don't recall seeing anything like that.
- - - -
Whatever it is, I have no idea how to fix that display.
- - - -
Use Kubrick on it, that will install a complete (English) system image.

Last edited by knc1; 04-26-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
sneakyspider

Well, I got it used, so I'm thinking it might have been hacked somehow. I've actually got it connected to Kubrick right now, but it'll probably be an hour or so before it's done. Hopefully it will fix the issue. Thanks for helping me with the issue.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 04-26-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

I guessed that you would be doing that even without my suggestion.
This isn't your first Kindle.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #9
sneakyspider

No, definitely not. I wanted to try other things before I did it though, because the K3 Kubrick takes so long. Now that it's finished, however, it seems to be restored to English.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
No, definitely not. I wanted to try other things before I did it though, because the K3 Kubrick takes so long. Now that it's finished, however, it seems to be restored to English.
No idea of what it was, but it is gone now.
Sorry I couldn't think of anything to do other than hit it with a big stick (Kubrick).
Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #11
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
I don't know for sure if this will work, but if I am in the experimental browser or myts on my K3 and hold down the "Alt" key while hitting the "I" key I get an "8" entered. Perhaps this will work for you to enter that key.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #12
sneakyspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I don't know for sure if this will work, but if I am in the experimental browser or myts on my K3 and hold down the "Alt" key while hitting the "I" key I get an "8" entered. Perhaps this will work for you to enter that key.

Dave
Thanks for that tip. I've already fixed it by using Kubrick, but this might help someone else in the future.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #13
sneakyspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Sorry I couldn't think of anything to do other than hit it with a big stick (Kubrick).
I don't know what it was either, I'm just glad it's gone now. I probably should have tried Kubrick sooner, but I'll know better if I ever have another problem like this.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Seems to me that you hit it with a big brick, not a stick.

Sorry. Too punny. I'll go away now.....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote