Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #61
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Hitesh, as meera mentioned, you could buy a basic Kindle in India, thereby avoiding, import fees and international shipping costs.

Not sure how much that comes up to in USD. I'd just make sure to get a black one, as the contrast on the black basic Kindles is amazing (on the grey ones, it's not quite as good).

Last edited by xendula; 02-24-2013 at 09:58 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #62
Hitesh1
Enthusiast
Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C; Kindle Paperwhite 2018
No I can't. It comes up to 130$. Even if I order from US, customs etc will not cross 20$-30$, and the product cost itself wouldn't cross 55-60$ so buying from here isn't a good option.
Plus the 1 year warranty they are giving is equal to zero, as I will have to ship my product to US.
Hitesh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #63
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitesh1 View Post
No I can't. It comes up to 130$. Even if I order from US, customs etc will not cross 20$-30$, and the product cost itself wouldn't cross 55-60$ so buying from here isn't a good option.
Plus the 1 year warranty they are giving is equal to zero, as I will have to ship my product to US.
I see. Then a refurbished device off Ebay is indeed a better option for you.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #64
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I don't know about Kobo, but remember, Sony didn't have built in dictionaries until the PRS 600 and I would just skip that one, because of the cloudiness of the screen. I love Sony's, but the 600 was my least favorite. Although the 505 didn't have dictionary support and was pretty basic, it was one of my absolute favorites.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #65
Hitesh1
Enthusiast
Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C; Kindle Paperwhite 2018
Both PRS-600 and 505 are out.
I have narrowed down to 3 -
Amazon Kindle Touch, Nook Simple touch and PRS-650
Hitesh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #66
xendula
eBookworm

^ Out of those three, if you ever want to buy content directly from their store, the Nook won't let you and the Sony store has less titles and is more expensive.

If this is no concern, the Nook has the nicer looking hardware.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
the Nook has the nicer looking hardware.
I have to highly disagree. The squarish shape of the nook STR is not nearly as nice looking as the 650.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #68
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to highly disagree. The squarish shape of the nook STR is not nearly as nice looking as the 650.
That's like saying I like chocolate but you like vanilla and you're wrong. It's entirely personal opinion. I happen to agree with you that the 650 is nicer than the Nook, but it's still only our personal opinion. It's not a fact.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #69
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitesh1 View Post
I have narrowed down to 3 -
Amazon Kindle Touch, Nook Simple touch and PRS-650
I'd think you would be happy with any of these three (although I'm unsure how good the dictionary is on the Sony & Nook).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-27-2013 at 10:15 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #70
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
That's like saying I like chocolate but you like vanilla and you're wrong. It's entirely personal opinion. I happen to agree with you that the 650 is nicer than the Nook, but it's still only our personal opinion. It's not a fact.
To be fair, what JSWolf posted isn't any different to xendula's post saying the Nook has nicer looking hardware.....

I do happen to agree with both of your personal opinions though, I had never noticed it from any photos, or read any comments about it, but when I saw a Nook in the flesh not so long ago, my first thought was, jeez how square does that thing look. Some people clearly see it as an attraction though!

As for dictionaries on the three Hitesh1 has narrowed it down to, I think the dictionary on the Sony is meant to be pretty good, maybe not quite on par with the Kindle. No idea about the Nook. Happy bargain hunting on ebay Hitesh1, hope you find one at a suitable price - and just remember to bear in mind the advice posted earlier in the thread about buying from ebay.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 02-27-2013 at 01:08 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #71
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I haven't read the whole discussion, but I would suggest that the OP keep an eye on the flea market here on MR. I have found MR members to be very reasonable an up front when selling their devices. I have bought quite a few here for friends and family.
I have as well.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #72
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
About the Nook look:
Yes, it is kind of ugly. But it's oh so COMFORTABLE to hold! I prefer to use my readers without cover (I store it in a cover though) and the Nook STR suits me perfectly.
A matter of taste of course, bot when it comes to appearance and ergonomy.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd think you would be happy with any of these three (although I'm unsure how good the dictionary is on the Sony & Nook).
The dictionary is good on the 650. I cannot speak for the nook or Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #74
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I checked eBay today, and there are 650s available at really good prices, considering what an awsome device it is!
The library management in the Sons are so much better than in any of the others!

And I too think you'd be happy with either of these devices!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #75
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The dictionary is good on the 650. I cannot speak for the nook or Kindle.
ITA. The dictionary function on the x50 series is great. I think all devices would be great for the OP in terms of reading. I'm partial to the Sony but that's because I think x50 series is just so good. Honestly, I think they're the best readers Sony released.

Last edited by faithbw; 02-27-2013 at 10:26 PM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote