Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They're fronted by James Daunt, who fixed Waterstones by ditching payola and going hyperlocal: letting individual store managers select their stock and store layout according to local tastes.

He even tried renaming individual stores with different local names, to see if the Waterstones name might be a liability.

This could be good for B&M pbook buyers.
Be careful. You're in danger of making me feel optimistic.

I do think B&N moving into smaller stores in malls would be a good idea. Go back to the old B. Dalton model. I partly feel the mega bookstores were an ego move
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
True, but just how could it possibly get any worse?
At least for pbooks.

As I said, the ebook side is...undetermined...

The big box model was a good idea...for the 80's. Pre-online sales.
Even today, there is room for a couple dozen big box regional destination bookstores. But 600? Doubt it.

Edit: of course, if you really want a "glass half-empty" take, I could point out that between the closures to come and the downsizings--from 30,000 sqft to 3000(?)--the chain might lose up to 75% of its book shelf space, most of it coming from midlist and backlist.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-07-2019 at 01:27 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #18
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I do think B&N moving into smaller stores in malls would be a good idea. Go back to the old B. Dalton model. I partly feel the mega bookstores were an ego move
The Mall. Sure, okay. Down at the Sears end, between the Radio Shack and the Blockbuster. In fact, B. Dalton's old location is still available.

For a reason.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #19
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
The Mall. Sure, okay. Down at the Sears end, between the Radio Shack and the Blockbuster. In fact, B. Dalton's old location is still available.

For a reason.
Yeah, malls are a dead end today. Many are abandoned and the ones that aren't are clearly dying with many empty, closed up shops.

As for Barnes & Noble, I fully expect the Nook division to be sold by early next year. The Glowlight Plus will be the last Nook. If you want one, buy it while you can.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #20
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
I personally still buy most everything at physical stores. If I want something I dont want to even wait one day. If I have to return something I want a replacement that day. I only buy online what i cannot find out at stores. Plus Amazon used to have good prices but they are pretty much on line with physical stores now. Even if they weren't i would still pay $50 bucks extra for a tv I can see rather than take a chance thru the mail.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Malls. I figure that before too long they will become Amazon distribution centers.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #22
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
I am the opposite. I buy almost everything online, and have since the early 2000s. I even buy groceries online and have them delivered every other week. I don't think I've been inside a Barnes & Noble since around 2005.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post

For a reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparition B5 View Post
Yeah, malls are a dead end today. Many are abandoned and the ones that aren't are clearly dying with many empty, closed up shops.
Maybe where you live. Where I am there's still the traditional enclosed mall that's doing just fine and has two separate 'outdoor malls' (aka: shopping centers) right across the streets that are also doing very well.

Then downtown there's the Houston Galleria: Galleria's new luxury wing proves not all malls are dying

To be fair, I live in an upscale suburbia. I do know some malls are struggling. But if my idea isn't a good one, what should be done with a chain of paper book stores? Should they go online only? Do you really think they'll compete with Amazon?
Old 06-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
True, but just how could it possibly get any worse?
At least for pbooks.

As I said, the ebook side is...undetermined...
Quite honestly, I don't much care what happens with B&Ns ebook side. I do like the Nook hardware and am glad they are still turning out devices. The Nooks tend to be nicely designed and differ from their competitors. But they squandered their golden opportunity and short of a merger/acquisition with Kobo I don't see them ever coming back.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I am the opposite. I buy almost everything online, and have since the early 2000s. I even buy groceries online and have them delivered every other week. I don't think I've been inside a Barnes & Noble since around 2005.
Same here (except for groceries). Mainly because I'd have to drive at least an hour to get somewhere that may have exactly what I'm looking for. If they don't, I'll be making the return trip empty-handed. Much easier, more efficient, and cost effective to order exactly what I want online. I've gotten quite good at it. I think I've had to return maybe two small items in the past decade or so.

If I lived in a place where there was a wide variety of businesses close to me, then sure, I'd probably go to more stores, too. But when you live in a place where choice is limited to pizza shops, drive-throughs (beer and wine), and farm-implement dealers, the ability to shop online can be a godsend.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I'm mostly where you are. I buy pretty much everything online with the exception of some groceries. I've started buying some basic groceries on line in the last couple of months. The online presence of the two grocery stores that I use (Publix and Wholefood) only have limited online selections.

How good stores are can be very location specific. The indoor mall that I use to frequent is dying with a lot of stores closed. On the other hand, a more upscale outdoor mall a couple of miles from there is doing great. You really have to understand your target audience and get the right stores.

I do hope that B&N puts effort into it's ebook store. Competition makes everyone better.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

The mega-stores, with extended hours and a coffee shop, software shop, etc., were very successful at one time. I remember going into them and browsing for hours. Borders and Barnes & Noble did well with them. "Did" — past tense. There used to be four or five rows of computer books alone — now maybe a small row and a half. It would probably be a good idea to down-size the stores at this point, but I don't think ego was involved. Hopefully they don't downsize so much that going into the stores is a waste of time, though.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #28
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The mega-stores, with extended hours and a coffee shop, software shop, etc., were very successful at one time. I remember going into them and browsing for hours. Borders and Barnes & Noble did well with them. "Did" — past tense. There used to be four or five rows of computer books alone — now maybe a small row and a half. It would probably be a good idea to down-size the stores at this point, but I don't think ego was involved. Hopefully they don't downsize so much that going into the stores is a waste of time, though.
I think that mega stores that cater to the social aspects of reading much like the old B&N did could be successful. Coffee shop, seats for a book club or just reading, order a book and have it delivered at home. You would need to customize it to the local clientele.

The other thing that I hope is that they will dramatically improve the ebook store.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The other thing that I hope is that they will dramatically improve the ebook store.
Well, if Wasterstones is any indication, that doesn't look too good — as they handed off their eBook business to Kobo.

EDIT: I now see that was "pre-Elliot" though.

EDIT 2: But the CEO now (and who will control B&N) was there when the decision was made.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-07-2019 at 08:42 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:41 PM   #30
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Malls. I figure that before too long they will become Amazon distribution centers.
Yeah, where they park their vans. They have their own blue vans doing delivery here. I'm still waiting for the flying drones to deliver stuff.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote