Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Survivalist Bargains

From time to time I see books on sale (both fiction and non-fiction) which deal with coping with a breakdown of law and order. So I thought I would start a relevant thread. Everyone is welcome to post titles he comes upon, whether professionally published or self-published.

The Back Door Man - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Q0X6C8/

Hideaway - free
https://www.amazon.com/Hideaway-EMP-...dp/B07BPPQ58G/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
You might be interested in the offerings at www.survivorlibrary.com.

Check out About Us for an explanation about what their Survivor Library Files consist of.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks orebmur! Fortunately, my jetBook Lite handles pdf's.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Ahh! The 13 year old anarchist in me thought you were looking for fiction! I love this genre.

I enjoyed:

IceQuake by Crawford Killian

New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson, (more post apocalyptic, but still cool)

Tsunami by Crawford Killian

The entire "After America" series by John Birmingham.

The 3 "The Island" novels portion of SM Stirling's "The Change" series. More survivalist than 'mystic' like the rest of The Change. This is what happened to Nantucket Island that disappears in "The Change". Start with "The Island in the Sea of Time". I believe this was the first "Change" novel or, rather seems to be the first and then Stirling got interested in other aspects of the possible series. I liked these three novels better than many of the other "Change" novels, and wish he'd continue this time line.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 04-16-2018 at 09:32 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I thought this thread was about that 1980's Men's Adventure series by Jerry Ahern: The Survivalist
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I thought this thread was about that 1980's Men's Adventure series by Jerry Ahern: The Survivalist
TWENTY-SEVEN Books!?! There's got to be a stinker or two in that list! How can an author avoid hating his characters?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
TWENTY-SEVEN Books!?! There's got to be a stinker or two in that list! How can an author avoid hating his characters?
Maybe he figured every word he wrote was gold?

I haven't read the books myself, but I remember seeing them in bookstore shelves all the time. I did a bit of research and the first nine or ten books tell one story. Then things jump ahead five hundred years thanks to the magic of cryogenics.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Maybe he figured every word he wrote was gold?

I haven't read the books myself, but I remember seeing them in bookstore shelves all the time. I did a bit of research and the first nine or ten books tell one story. Then things jump ahead five hundred years thanks to the magic of cryogenics.
Well, he got farther than Geo. RR Martin, I guess. I always thought Martin should end the series with The Hound, Tyrion, and Arya getting caught in a 'time warp' accidentally created by Bran Stark, and they end up in 1940's Los Angeles, and they start a Detective agency.

Actually, that sort of 'Beverly Hillbillies' meets "China Town" would probably qualify as a survivalist story, I think.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 04-16-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Aftermath - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C8BJKLM/
Old 04-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
There's also an Aftermath, book 0. It's also free.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Apple Cider Vinegar Cures, Uses and Recipes - 55 cents
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Cider-V...dp/B00L2RS886/

Weekend Homesteader: September - 99 cents
https://www.amazon.com/Weekend-Homes...dp/B005J1CNA0/
Old 04-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
The 3 "The Island" novels portion of SM Stirling's "The Change" series. More survivalist than 'mystic' like the rest of The Change. This is what happened to Nantucket Island that disappears in "The Change". Start with "The Island in the Sea of Time". I believe this was the first "Change" novel or, rather seems to be the first and then Stirling got interested in other aspects of the possible series. I liked these three novels better than many of the other "Change" novels, and wish he'd continue this time line.
And the most recent in the series is definitely very into mystic. I think a third of it takes place in a dreamlike state.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Going Off The Grid - free
https://www.amazon.com/Going-Off-Gri...dp/B01N26DQUS/

JeBouffe Home Canning Step by Step Guide (second edition) - free
https://www.amazon.com/JeBouffe-Cann...dp/B0057H14KG/
Old 04-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
bcbob
Enthusiast
bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bcbob can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: ipad
A SHTF sampler

doh! I missed the free and bargain requirement. I have noted that some of the books are on Kindle Unlimited
---------
I am a fan of this genre and I break it down into subcategories. Some of my favorites with their Amazon book number in parentheses:

Post-EMP (electromagnetic pulse that destroys all electric power plants, electronic devices, cars and their computer systems)

The granddaddy and one of the best is "One second after" by William Forstchen (B002LATV16). Ex-military college professor in small town in North Carolina (IIRC) and his family and town people cope with the aftermath. Other books in series good but not as good as first one.

"Lights out" by David Crawford (B004GHNGKE) Mark (karate man) Turner and his family deal with nature and MZB's (murant zombie bikers) after the EMP. BTW, despite the name this is NOT a zombie book, which I despise.

The Jeremy's Run series by G.F. Gustav (B00CQU5SEK). As one reviewer puts it " 95% conversation, 5% action, but don't let that throw you--the conversation is highly informative and the action, when it happens, is necessary, logical, and highly satisfying (to his credit, the author doesn't "invent" situations just to stage a fight)." The author is an engineer who minored in theology and both sides come out. (Kindle Unlimited)

Non-EMP SHTF:

The Shattered series by Thomas Sherry (Deep Winter B004J171BC is the first one). The hero, Rick Drummond, is the pompous, highly annoying patriarch of a family in Spokane Washington in the aftermath of a series of devastating earthquakes and volcano eruptions in the Northwest that eventually bring down all the US. Don't be put off by the annoying character, the author knows his stuff and brings up a lot of important issues on how society is going to recover from a disaster with loss of our high tech infrastructure. The last book in the three book series is cr*p. Kindle unlimited.

Political SHTF
The Enemies trilogy by Matthew Bracken (Enemies Foreign And Domestic B004JF4L98). Be warned-highly political. Starts out with ATF carrying out false flag terrorist incident that is used by corrupt government to crack down on freedom loving gun toting conservatives. Other books in series cover Reconquista by Hispanics in Southwest with collusion by US president and third book is war between mercenaries called in by corrupt government and said freedom loving, gun toting, conservatives in Tennessee. (all three Kindle unlimited)

There are more but that is all I have time for.

Last edited by bcbob; 04-30-2018 at 06:19 PM. Reason: add Kunlimited
bcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Gardening :The Simple instructive complete guide to vegetable gardening for beginners - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JJ9J4JK/

Finding Owl Canyon - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019EE6NN0/

Red Feather Road (Owl Canyon Book 2) - free
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Feather-R...dp/B019OYF00M/

(These two Owl Canyon books may be mere western fiction. What I am on the lookout for are books about living without electricity.)

Weekend Homesteader - All 12 are 99 cents each except April, which is free
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZFOPS4/