Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
For my part, though my cover is non-Kobo, it is not flimsy and the closed cover is also held in place with a strap...
...I have no idea why a unit which went to sleep and was left on a table should show such inconsistent battery drain, but I am happy with not using sleep-cover mode.
I have exactly the same problem with a Kobo sleep cover and firmware 4.15.12920. The battery will go flat with the reader left on a table for a couple of days if the cover sleep mode is checked. When I turned it off there was no appreciable battery drain in sleep mode.

But I've noted another problem. If I leave the Clara in sleep mode for a few days, it gets stuck on the last page read. I can wake it / put it to sleep with the power switch but the page won't turn, like it's not responding to the touch sensor. Takes a power on/off to fix that...guess I'll be going back to auto power off again.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:05 AM   #17
lo5boy01
lo5boy01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
"Hi there,
Thank you for contacting Rakuten Kobo.
About your inquiry I understand that can be troublesome to have some issues with the battery of your device, however we can't ensure any properly functioning of any sleep cover that is not directly from Kobo, as a suggestion I would like to invite you to try using the device without the sleep cover for 1 or 2 days and check the functioning of it.

For inquiries big and small please visit us at help.kobo.com
Sincerely,
The Rakuten Kobo Team"

Above is the reply from kobo.
As my cover is a diy, the reply sounded like they will not help if the cover is not by kobo!
lo5boy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo5boy01 View Post
"Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Rakuten Kobo.

About your inquiry I understand that can be troublesome to have some issues with the battery of your device, however we can't ensure any properly functioning of any sleep cover that is not directly from Kobo, as a suggestion I would like to invite you to try using the device without the sleep cover for 1 or 2 days and check the functioning of it.

For inquiries big and small please visit us at help.kobo.com

Sincerely,

The Rakuten Kobo Team"

As my cover is a diy, the reply sounded like they will not help if the cover is not by kobo!
And you're surprised? How would you expect them to diagnose magnet strength and location related issues?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

That's exactly the sort of answer I'd expect from a reasonably cluey support person. You diagnosed the problem yourself by turning off auto sleep/wake: the problem is highly likely to be your cover. Kobo obviously aren't going to support third-party covers, and nor should they. Your best options now are to auto sleep-wake off or use a different cover.

If you don't want to use a Kobo one, I've had very good experiences with Gecko Slimfit covers.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:28 AM   #20
lo5boy01

sleepcover is merely rocket science but just using magnet to trigger the built in magnetic switch.
here is the update reply from kobo:

Hello there,
I am sorry to hear that your device issue hasn’t been resolved yet. I would like to suggest these following steps to reset your device.
Before attempting the below steps, please ensure your eReader has been charged for at least three (3) hours. Then try the following.

Simple Reset your device:
You can perform a simple reset on your eReader with the following steps:
1. Hold the power button for 15 seconds.
2. Wait 5 seconds.
3. Hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn it back on.
This will force the eReader to reset with no loss to personal data or personalized settings and preferences.

*** Please try Factory Reset if Simple Reset doesn’t solve the issue***

You can perform a factory reset to restore your eReader to its original settings. After a factory reset, you’ll have to set up and sync your eReader again.
If you perform a factory reset on your eReader, you'll:
• Remove all books from your eReader. Any books you purchased from Kobo can be re-downloaded from the Kobo Cloud after a factory reset.
• Lose any bookmarks and annotations you've made in your books since you last synced your eReader.
• Sign out of your account on your eReader.
• Reset all personalized settings and preferences.
• Return your eReader to its original settings.
If possible, back up any books or documents that you added to your eReader using Adobe Digital Editions, or that you manually added using your computer. You do not need to back up any books you bought from Kobo. Any books you purchased from Kobo can be re-downloaded from the Kobo Cloud after a factory reset.
Go to your Home screen.
Tap Home at the top of the screen.
Tap Settings.
Tap Device information.
Tap Factory reset under Advanced. Tap Reset Now.

If Factory reset doesn’t work or If the screen is not responsive after Simple Reset, please try Manual Factory reset*

If a factory reset didn't solve your problem, you can try a manual factory reset to restore your eReader to its original settings. After a manual factory reset, you'll need to set up and sync your eReader again. Before you start, charge your eReader for at least one hour.
1. Connect your eReader to a power source by doing one of the following:
• Turn on your computer and connect the included USB power cord to your computer first, and then your eReader.
• Plug the wall charger (not included) to a power outlet, and then connect your eReader to the wall charger.
2. Press and hold the power button until the power light on the top-right corner of your eReader turns off. You'll see a 'Powered off' screen when your eReader is turned off.
3. Release the power button.
4. Press and hold the power button on your eReader for 30 seconds.
5. Wait for the Restore screen to appear.
6. Release the power button. Your eReader screen will turn black and begin the restoring process. After the restoring process finishes, follow the onscreen instructions to set up your eReader. You'll need access to an active Wi Fi or internet connection to complete setup. You can also use the Kobo Desktop app to set up your eReader using your computer.

If you have any more questions or require further assistance, please send us an email.

For inquiries big and small please visit us at http://www.kobo.com/help

Sincerely,
The Rakuten Kobo Team
Advert
Old 08-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #21
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
here is the update reply from kobo:
I'd be interested to hear if any of that works for you. I've gone back to setting automatic power-off for the time being.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #22
lo5boy01

I recently modified my diy sleepcover, replacing the magnet from 3mm to 8mm disk. The power drain problem resolved!
I suspect the power drain is caused by the tiny magnet that the clara could hardly detect and power was drained away because of repeated switching between sleep and on mode.
bingo
I can focus on reading books!
Old 09-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #23
BobVA
Addict

The problem on mine stopped as mysteriously at it appeared. Not sure if perhaps I was placing it somewhere it didn't like (over metal, or wires or something) or if something else did it (same F/W version). Your hypothesis is as good as any; if the magnetic "closed" latch isn't detected reliably it's cycling between sleep / on and running the battery down.
I've read two book since and it's working great.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:59 PM   #24
lo5boy01

battery drain of my diy sleepcover has been resolved.
I found that reading with the light switched on consumed lots of power.
I read with the light 20% on for 30min drained about 40% of the battery!
Does it mean, fully charged clara could support reading with light last less than 2 hours?
Old 09-29-2019, 05:29 AM   #25
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
battery drain of my diy sleepcover has been resolved.
I found that reading with the light switched on consumed lots of power.
I read with the light 20% on for 30min drained about 40% of the battery!
Does it mean, fully charged clara could support reading with light last less than 2 hours?
No, that doesn't sound right. Either there is something wrong with your device/battery, or your battery is draining for other reasons.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #26
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
No, that doesn't sound right. Either there is something wrong with your device/battery, or your battery is draining for other reasons.
I'll second this. No way that light at 20% should be draining battery 40% in an hour. I read with much higher than that and get normal battery life.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote