Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #46
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was commenting on using Whispersync to continue listening to an audio version in your car as suggested by Amazon. Under current laws in this area, you might get away with this as long as you did not touch the device playing the audio during your trip in the car so no playing back a passage that was missed or any other interaction with the device while your vehicle is not parked.

The remainder of the message was discussing that Amazon.ca does not show any matches using Audible Matchmaker while Amazon.com shows matches for my books purchased through Amazon.ca but even with the discounted price, on the expensive side by my standards.
I use CarPlay with audible to listen in the car. Yea, if you are trying to replay passages and the like, then you probably shouldn't be listening to audiobooks while driving. You are too focused on the book, and not focused enough on driving.

No idea about Amazon.ca, but the kindle app and my kindle device pretty much automatically match the ebooks and audiobooks for me. As long as I have both books, I don't have to do anything. As long as you buy the eBook first, you can sometime get a pretty big discount on the audiobook.

I've found that most of the time, if you buck the system then things are hard, but if you use the system the way you are suppose to, then life is a whole lot easier.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #47
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I use CarPlay with audible to listen in the car. Yea, if you are trying to replay passages and the like, then you probably shouldn't be listening to audiobooks while driving. You are too focused on the book, and not focused enough on driving.

No idea about Amazon.ca, but the kindle app and my kindle device pretty much automatically match the ebooks and audiobooks for me. As long as I have both books, I don't have to do anything. As long as you buy the eBook first, you can sometime get a pretty big discount on the audiobook.

I've found that most of the time, if you buck the system then things are hard, but if you use the system the way you are suppose to, then life is a whole lot easier.
Audible app has a ‘car mode’ UI to make it more compliant with driving requirements (In California, I think you need it mounted on dashboard where it does not obstruct vision, and you can only do ‘one touch’ operations.). It has a big Play/Pause button, skip back 30 seconds button, and Bookmark button, and that’s all: no sleep timer speed control, chapter navigation.

The audiobook discount applies on books borrowed from a library or from Kindle Unlimited (the latter are usually under $5).

As far as matching, it is not as easy to find the Kindle edition that works with an Audible title you may have. The audible site does not have a link to the Kindle edition on Amazon, so you have to find the title on Amazon and then confirm there that you own the Audible title for WhisperSync for Voice. For public domain titles it can be a nightmare because there can be a dozen different editions to check, and some of the linked titles are incorrect. For example, an English edition of Anna Karenina was linked to a Russian language audiobook (!?). And there are a number of English language audiobook editions of this title.

The other problem that happens for me too frequently is that I own both ebook and audiobook, but it does not show up in Kindle app as having an audiobook companion. I’ve had to call customer support at least 6 times to fix such issues, sometimes problem is on Audible side and sometimes on Kindle side so it might take two calls to resolve it. With my last call it only got resolved on one device; the others still do not show it to have Audible companion. Granted, I have a pretty large library of audiobooks and ebooks so I have more ‘exposure’ to problems like this. The problem can strike at any time: sometimes an ebook update breaks it, and sometimes audiobook update breaks it. So it is annoying.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-07-2019 at 01:56 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #48
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Audible app has a ‘car mode’ UI to make it more compliant with driving requirements (In California, I think you need it mounted on dashboard where it does not obstruct vision, and you can only do ‘one touch’ operations.). It has a big Play/Pause button, skip back 30 seconds button, and Bookmark button, and that’s all: no sleep timer speed control, chapter navigation.

The audiobook discount applies on books borrowed from a library or from Kindle Unlimited (the latter are usually under $5).

As far as matching, it is not as easy to find the Kindle edition that works with an Audible title you may have. The audible site does not have a link to the Kindle edition on Amazon, so you have to find the title on Amazon and then confirm there that you own the Audible title for WhisperSync for Voice. For public domain titles it can be a nightmare because there can be a dozen different editions to check, and some of the linked titles are incorrect. For example, an English edition of Anna Karenina was linked to a Russian language audiobook (!?). And there are a number of English language audiobook editions of this title.

The other problem that happens for me too frequently is that I own both ebook and audiobook, but it does not show up in Kindle app as having an audiobook companion. I’ve had to call customer support at least 6 times to fix such issues, sometimes problem is on Audible side and sometimes on Kindle side so it might take two calls to resolve it. With my last call it only got resolved on one device; the others still do not show it to have Audible companion. Granted, I have a pretty large library of audiobooks and ebooks so I have more ‘exposure’ to problems like this. The problem can strike at any time: sometimes an ebook update breaks it, and sometimes audiobook update breaks it. So it is annoying.
I've got a bit over 700 audiobooks and 3500 ebooks, so I have a fair number. Of course, I also don't actually use whispersync, so I'm fairly oblivious towards any problems with the service.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote