Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #16
joebob2a
joebob2a began at the beginning.

Device: epub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Contact somebody who has Quark and can deal with QXD files directly... or contact somebody who can run that export the PDF more cleanly than your current methods...

There are professionals around here...

Did you try opening the QXD with LibreOffice? Does it open it? Or is the QXD created in a newer Quark?
This is what the Quark files look like in LibreOffice:

I've already invested a significant amount of time in cleaning up typos and other issues with the PDF version. Starting over again from the Quark source would generate more heat than light.

The only errors now being generated by the validator have to do with the TOC.NCX file. I blew it away after I read that Sigil should generate a fresh file, but it only created a stub, and creating a new TOC does not generate a fresh file from the existing version. Not sure what's going on. It appears that the TOC.NCX file is for backward compatibility, but the validator really wants it. If I can clear up the TOC.NCX errors, I'm done.

Ideas welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	138
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	173088  
joebob2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #17
joebob2a
joebob2a began at the beginning.

Device: epub
Duh! I regenerated the NCX in Sigil under Tools/EPub3 Tools/Generate NCX from Nav.

And with that, all my validation errors are gone!
joebob2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob2a View Post
Unfortunately, that's not really an option at this point. I also have little faith that the niggling technical errors will be corrected. It appears that Sigil and Calibre both focus on the visual presentation, which is great as far as it goes, but the technical issues that will keep a book out of Smashwords and Google Play relate to structure. If there is a tool -- commercial is an option -- to clean those up, I'm interested. It appears that the EPUB validator stops reading when it hits some errors, so the list expands and contracts based on what kind of errors show up.

Ideas welcome!
It doesn't matter how you convert the PDF, the correct process is the same. Once the PDF is converted to ePub, you have to A/B compare everything with the PDF. You have to compare every word, every letter, every space, every punctuation mark. Then when you are done, can you then proceed to clean up the formatting of the ePub. Then when that's done can you say you are done. You do not need to copy the book's formatting in the ePub because this is not a pBook. for example, you do not need loads of empty space around chapter titles.

If you've not A/B compared the PDF to the ePub, you are not done and you have errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote