Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-30-2019, 04:30 AM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
That's a pity, but good to know, thank you.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #32
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Wait, hard shutdown deletes sideloaded books? WTF. There are times I've done that when travelling, or for various other reasons, so to have no side loaded books when I start it back up later would be a deal killer.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #33
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have the 6" Glowlight 3 and I don't have the problem with books disappearing. I realize I may be in the minority but it works fine for me.

I do agree that there are far too many problems and limitations with the Nook. It was sloppy design and programming.

The important thing, though, with it or any ereader, is the experience while actually reading a book and that's just about perfect. I have Paperwhites, a Voyage, Kobos and the Glowlight 3. The others are all better designs and have better feature selections and fewer flaws. But none give a reading experience that can match the Glowlight 3. That's what matters. The rest is decoration.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:33 PM   #34
ghogan42
ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Wait, hard shutdown deletes sideloaded books? WTF. There are times I've done that when travelling, or for various other reasons, so to have no side loaded books when I start it back up later would be a deal killer.
Just to be clear. I hard reset my Nook after it locked up and my books were cleared out. But I have just hard reset again on purpose (for no reason since my Nook has been fine since then) to see if that was by design and:

Hard resetting doesn't remove your books. Probably there was a problem with my partition and on startup the Nook fixed it by formatting the partition.

It's perfectly possible that I got some unlucky file corruption at first and things were somewhat broken until I factory reset. Since then, everything on it has been just fine.

I'm pretty happy with the device now. The screen is great and it handles regular epubs and 100-200mb comcs/manga just fine too. I just doubt that the firmware is a quantum leap over the Glowlight 3 firmware in terms of stability and reliability.

Last edited by ghogan42; 05-30-2019 at 03:35 PM.
ghogan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #35
TTAMM85
TTAMM85 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Nook Glowlight 3
Either:

1) B&N has temporarily pulled their stock to isolate stock affected by the dead pixel issue after receiving complaints

or

2) B&N hasn't planned their inventory distribution very well

or

3) This new Nook has provoked a very high level of interest

because the website is now showing the New Glowlight Plus as temporarily out of stock online, one day after it went up on the site...
TTAMM85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:04 AM   #36
Nikkidog
Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis2, Paperwhite4
I bought mine Monday in store. I have had no problems at all. There are no pinholes and it works fine. I guess I was lucky.
Nikkidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:34 AM   #37
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Lesson learned with the Glowlight 3: When you side load books onto the NOOK, WAIT before ejecting the device from your computer. The NOOK will NOT tell you when it has finished copying those book files, and if you unplug before it has, the files will be corrupted.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #38
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Sheese, this thread went off the rails from original topic (with myself guilty as charged). Back to the "dead pixel" issue. It's not a dead pixel, though, but rather a problem with the backlight, maybe a "pinhole" thing like someone called it? I've looked very closely and I can't see anything wrong with my trouble spot when the light is off (no dust, I carefully cleaned it as well) but when the backlight is on it is definitely a bothersome issue. That one tiny spot on the screen is infinitely brighter than the rest. Here is a picture of mine.

I guess I'll drive over and see if they are starting to get some in stock yet for a replacement.

Aside from this issue I'm surprised at how much I like the device so far - finally got around to doing some actual reading on it over the weekend. The size and weight increase aren't a problem for me and I do appreciate the extra space, especially for illustrations (reading a new book about Revolutionary War and the maps are spectacular - which has always been a problem reading military books on previous ereaders).

Anyway - here is that picture... (it's right above the word "less")

https://imgur.com/a/Q5qDW3V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-10 09_43_00-Photos.png
Views:	377
Size:	834.7 KB
ID:	171860  
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That’s definitely a pinhole in the light diffuser.

No eInk device has a backlight, BTW. eInk screens are opaque and hence cannot be lit from the back. The light on your nook is a frontlight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #40
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I just noticed a small pinhole on my new Nook. After reading this thread I was aware of the problem so I looked really closely when I first got it and didn't see anything. Then 4 days later I suddenly see a very small bright spot. It is on the left side close to the edge of the screen. It is very hard to find and and not very noticeable. I am tempted to keep it because it doesn't bother me, but I am afraid it will get worse. I hate having to exchange it. However, I hate to pay $200 for a device that has a defect.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #41
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I hate having to exchange it. However, I hate to pay $200 for a device that has a defect.
Exchange it while you still can. My store manager was very nice and accommodating while I verified the new reader while still in the store.
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #42
Lady loves E ink
Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus (2019), Glowlight 3, KA1, Nook Simple Touch
I thought I would chime in about my experience; I have one "pinhole" that is most easily seen when I bookmark a page as it more easily stands out on a dark background. I can't say that it has actually bothered me enough to want take it back. I don't think it would've done any good anyway as my store has sold the ones they had. Plus, I have become habituated to these pinholes with my Voyage as it had two, one of which is far brighter than the one on my Glowlight Plus. I guess I was too dumb to realize that Amazon would've probably replaced it if I had just asked. Thankfully, my Glowlight 3 has none.

I love this device so much and if B&N doesn't get any more in ever, then there won't be any way to replace it if it breaks. Hopefully it will be like my Simple Touch which is still working. It still gets used when the power goes out (with a booklight, of course.
Lady loves E ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #43
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I decided not to return mine either. The pinhole is very close to the left bezel and barely noticeable. My local store is out of stock as well. I’m still happy with my Nook. Wish it was perfect but it’s still good.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #44
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Mine has a pinhole near the top left bezel but so small you can't see it unless the background is black. Have you noticed that after the pinhole was mentioned on forums Nook changed the color of the user guide from black to white so people will not notice? I still love it and plan to use it more frequently compared to my kobo and nook
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:32 PM   #45
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
update. I can no longer see my pinhole for some reason. I have to wonder if it was a software thing and not a device thing
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote