Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #421
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Oh, I like it! I'm guessing that was actually a topic suggestion? Either way it works well for a topic. ...
I won't confess as to which way I was thinking. But as you say, either way works; even if I had not thought of one of the ways .

I got lost wondering about heavy metal, but for the phrase was thinking of The Tremeloes too though, I hadn't heard them for a while.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:57 PM   #422
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
And we're on to choosing February's topic.

All ideas are appreciated; just post! We're very flexible with our monthly topic; it can be a topic, theme, category or whatever else. This can also be collaborative so any little kernel of an idea is great.

The floor is now open!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2020, 10:43 PM   #423
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One new idea I've had is 'X'. This could lead a few directions. It could be something to do with x marking the spot, such as adventure, treasure seeking, finding some person, place or thing that is lost or hidden. It could also be something to do with x as a censor, such as books that were banned at some point or somewhere, books that were controversial, or plots having to do with books, people, society or whatnot being banned, jailed, repressed or censored for ideas. It could also be something to do with the Roman numeral meaning ten. It could also be something to do with an ex or exes. Or it could even be something to do with a title with a word beginning with an x, or if stretched even just an x somewhere in the title. There's a lot of possibilities with 'X'.

I threw this out there with the month coming up soon, and I'll be good with this, some other previously mentioned topic, or some other brand new idea.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:02 AM   #424
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
You’ve really thought of a lot of options with that one!

Great job with the creative thinking!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:05 AM   #425
ustou
ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle PW4
+1 on my part for 'x'. First thought I had was 'x' as in the standard symbol for variables in maths, so I guess you could add something dealing with that, or mathematicians, logic, coherence/incoherence, etc... into the mix.
ustou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2020, 12:37 PM   #426
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Thanks both of you and all right, X it is!

Also, welcome to the lit club ustou! The mathematics/logic possibilities for x is a great idea.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #427
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first thing that came to mind for me were pirates' treasure maps - X marks the spot .
Old 01-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #428
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
The first thing that came to mind for me were pirates' treasure maps - X marks the spot .
Me too! Should be fun to look for nominations this weekend.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:12 PM   #429
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Was I the only one to think X Window System?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:05 AM   #430
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Was I the only one to think X Window System?
Yes.

( Sorry, just seemed like something that had to be said. )
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #431
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Yes.

( Sorry, just seemed like something that had to be said. )
I try not to ask questions unless I am prepared to handle the answer.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #432
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The nomination thread is up! I've added all the ideas given.

I also just thought while posting that, if you say the current year as 'twenty twenty' then if written in Roman numerals it would be completely made up of 'x'es lol- XX XX. So it must be meant to be to have this topic this year.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #433
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I also just thought while posting that, if you say the current year as 'twenty twenty' then if written in Roman numerals it would be completely made up of 'x'es lol- XX XX. So it must be meant to be to have this topic this year.
XXXX is an Australian beer brand too; maybe the beer of the year for XX XX?
Old 02-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #434
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
XXXX is an Australian beer brand too; maybe the beer of the year for XX XX?
Dos Equis, which means two X's, is a Mexican beer brand with symbol XX. So two bottles of Dos Equis would be XX XX and match 2020. I don't know whether Dos Equis plays a significant role in any books.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #435
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Well, no obviously beer-related books made it to the nominations, but those were clever finds too and beer companies seem to like X! I looked up some XXXX ads youtube and they're... different, lol. It's funny if you split that one in half you'd get 2020, while if you have two Dos Equis side by side you'd also get 2020.

I also just thought, so we mentioned XXXX and XX, and we conveniently ignored the amount of Xes in between and what it stands for. Probably for the best for the sake of our nominations. Although, it might've given me a good reason to nominate Tropic of Cancer...