Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandor62 View Post
I got caught out very badly with Mobiread ebooks. I used to read on a Palmpilot then an HP Ipaq, I then purchased an Apple Touch ipod, now I use an Apple Ipad, I have also ordered a Kindle for the Wife and have purchased a couple of Kobos for My adult children. So all the ebooks I bought up to 10 or more years ago are not readable to me or other family members in their current DRM mobi and LIT formats. Over two hundred books now useless. I still obtain ebooks, but only non DRM formats. I have to admit that if I came across a copy of one of the books that I already own that did not have the DRM on it I would take it, legally or not.
Its a sad situation, I don't have a social life due to being a shift worker and can purchase up to 100 books a year, I no longer want them in Print and some good authors are missing out on on income from me.
I would accept DRM if the license would guarantee that I own the Ebooks and if I change or use multiple devices I could re download in the format I require, Forever. If not, well, enough said.
If you remember your PID for your Mobipocket DRMed eBooks, PM me please.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
and 135 azw books I have been unable to work "magic" on.
Download them all to K4PC and "magic" the hell out of them in one shot. There are at least two magic wands that will do this easily.

Quote:
If you remember your PID for your Mobipocket DRMed eBooks, PM me please.
I was thinking the same thing! The LIT files are still viable as well -- if one of the PC's that had Microsoft Reader activated for it is still around.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-24-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: update
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #33
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Download them all to K4PC and "magic" the hell out of them in one shot. There are at least two magic wands that will do this easily.
I have been doing that and this brings up a good point, the old version of K4PC is slow as molasses when using the "magic wands" on them.

Does anyone else experience that? I am running version 1.1.0 of K4pc. This is part of the reason it is taking so long? Is it just me or do other experience this? Any thoughts on how this process could be faster or is that just part of the magical experience?
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
the old version of K4PC is slow as molasses when using the "magic wands" on them. Does anyone else experience that?
K4PC isn't running when I'm doing my magicking.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #35
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
The thing about Amazon is once you pick DRM that's it. The book will stay DRM. No switching back. As an author/publisher, you have chosen. But the simple way around that is if someone insists that their purchase be DRM-free, simply see if the book is available on Smashwords or another DRM-free distributor.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #36
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My principles may be warped, but it's a matter of principle to try not to buy anything which has DRM, whether ebooks, music or film. If we could sell on or lend an LP, CD, dead-trees book or indeed a bicycle, why not any other man-created item? If Gutenberg had added DRM to his invention we would live in an illiterate world (or one where only a tiny elite would be able to read and write).
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #37
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I don't go out of my way to avoid them. Sometimes, the books that I want have them, so I am forced to settle. If worse comes to worse, it can be stripped if the need arises.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #38
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

One thing about DRM is that it can (and does in the case of Amazon) change which can prevent you from removing the DRM on your current books at some future time. Storing a current clean DRM copy is not enough without storing other pieces of information needed to remove the DRM (key files, kindle-info files, the software necessary to run the removal, etc).

The key point is that although stripping DRM is painless now, this can and does change (and did so quite recently - simply redownloading a book from your own Archive can recode it to the new version of the DRM once it changes) and you can't always rely on someone like ApprenticeAlf/IHeartCabbages/DarkReverser/etc to be around to find a new solution in the future.

So I strongly recommend to anyone that cares about long-term archiving of their purchases to take their current DRM versions and remove the DRM now and store the DRM-free copy someplace as a long term archive. Don't allow a future DRM change make all of your previous purchases "obsolete".

My 2 cents ...
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #39
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Yes, I avoid them.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote