Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
JennieK
JennieK began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Fire 8
Digital Life Disasters Annoying Boyfriend and Kindle Errors

I just want to start off by saying thanks for reading this.
Second I want to add that before coming here I spent a fair amount of time on Google which is in fact how I ended up here. I read some old posts regarding the issue I am having and tried the suggested fixes with no luck.

I am having the dreaded error communicating with device message and while Calibre sees my Kindle Fire it apparently cannot communicate with it. I am running Windows 10 and I do not have this problem on my Mac however my Mac has other issues so I prefer to use my more powerful and faster new Acer laptop I got for Christmas.

This issue is especially depressing for me because my beloved Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 died yesterday and I lost a lot of data mostly e books. My boyfriend has been so kind as to remind me that I should have backed it up and of course that is super helpful right now so I really appreciate his support while I am in mourning.

I am here in the hopes that there has perhaps been a new fix for this issues discovered since many of the posts I read were older.

I tried a few of the tricks in those threads already including deleting the calibre metadata info in my Kindle system files, rebooting both device and computer, checking to make sure my Kindle is showing up as a mountable drive, checking to make sure it's not on Calibres ignore list, and some other stuff at this point I cannot remember since I am delirious from trying to research how to fix my deceased tablet all night and since I broke the tiny and extremely delicate surface mount clip thingy that connects the charging port ribbon I have determined that I am not only unqualified to repair broken tablets I am screwed. In my defense I did get it working and charging but when I discovered the home key was not working I decided to be clever and fix that figuring I happened when I was fiddling around when what I should have done is just immediately back it up. I just love technology today.

Please help me.

Last edited by JennieK; 02-23-2018 at 09:50 PM.
JennieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
These are the steps for this issue:

1) Try rebooting both the device and your computer
2) If that does not work, find the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the device
and delete them (you can use Windows Explorer or a file manager on the device itself to do this)
3) Reset the device

If none of those work, you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #3
JennieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
These are the steps for this issue:

1) Try rebooting both the device and your computer
2) If that does not work, find the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the device
and delete them (you can use Windows Explorer or a file manager on the device itself to do this)
3) Reset the device

If none of those work, you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd

Thank you for your reply!!

I think I'm going to have to try the wireless method as the other things did not work for me. Wish me luck and thanks again!!!!
Old 02-23-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Tried all the tricks not one worked.... Fires 5th gen 10" & 2nd gen 7" sigh in the process I lost 1/2 of my ebooks ALL of my MP3 Audios
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:04 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieK View Post
Thank you for your reply!!

I think I'm going to have to try the wireless method as the other things did not work for me. Wish me luck and thanks again!!!!
The wireless device method I use on my Android tablet is Calibre Companion app (Amazon store link). There is a forum here on Mobileread dedicated to it.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-24-2018 at 01:08 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
JennieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
The wireless device method I use on my Android tablet is Calibre Companion app (Amazon store link). There is a forum here on Mobileread dedicated to it.
I was successful in sending books to my kindle with this app but it didn't see the books already on my Kindle. I have over 600 books side loaded onto it too. They show up in my Kindle library. I just ended up using my Mac to add the rest of my ebooks to my Kindle with Calibre. Disappointing though that Windows 10 won't do the job with Calibre because my new laptop is much faster and more efficient than my old 2008 MacBook pro at this point.

I have been using Calibre for about 6 years now and I love it.