Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
Crazydiamond1966
Crazydiamond1966 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Have a Kindle Paperwhite - but was given a B&N Giftcard

Hello,
New to this forum. I have a Kindle Paperwhite (which I love). I was recently given a gift card to Barnes and Noble and would like to know if I can download any of their books to my kindle and how?

Thank you.
Crazydiamond1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you need to have a Nook to download B&N ebooks. If you can download them, you can convert them to Kindle format using Calibre, but without a Nook to download them with, I think you may be out of luck.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
You can download Nook for PC and download the books and use Calibre to convert them. If you buy books with DRM, you will need to search for Apprentice Alf and Apprentice Harper for tools to remove the DRM. Or you can find DRM-free books (Tor books do not have DRM) and be able to take them straight into Calibre for conversion or use KindleGen to generate a mobi you can then use Send to Kindle to get to your Kindle. I've gotten a few Nook books because of gift cards and have been successful using Calibre to get them to a format for my Kindle.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Crazydiamond1966

Thank you. This sounds complicated! I may just re-gift the gift card or go buy an actual old-fashioned book!
Old 02-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it's just a couple of books, that would be the easiest option. Not worth setting up all the required tools if it's just a one-off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Crazydiamond1966

Yes it's just $25 from a work-related-thingy.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
If you can find DRM free titles, all you would really need is either Calibre or Kindlegen.

Unless you are a sci fi/fantasy fan and can find plenty of Tor/Tom Doherty books you want, finding DRM free books can be as complicated as what you would have to do with a book that has DRM.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Find a cookbook or "coffee-table" book (picture book) that will work better in physical form anyway.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
If you can find DRM free titles, all you would really need is either Calibre or Kindlegen.

Unless you are a sci fi/fantasy fan and can find plenty of Tor/Tom Doherty books you want, finding DRM free books can be as complicated as what you would have to do with a book that has DRM.
Baen science fiction books are also DRM free.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Don't forget that BN sells more than books in their stores so you might be able to find something else to spend it on for yourself or as a gift. Examples: magazines, games, calendars, toys. I think you can also use it at the cafe inside.

I got a gift card for Christmas, and I plan to use it on cookbooks.

You could also use the gift cards to buy ebooks and read them within the Nook app on a tablet or smartphone.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:19 AM   #11
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Don't forget that BN sells more than books in their stores so you might be able to find something else to spend it on for yourself or as a gift. Examples: magazines, games, calendars, toys. I think you can also use it at the cafe inside.

I got a gift card for Christmas, and I plan to use it on cookbooks.

You could also use the gift cards to buy ebooks and read them within the Nook app on a tablet or smartphone.
I wouldn't wait too long. BN is going down the path of no return.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle; ebook, nook