Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-29-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
JBSimms
JBSimms began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
First time issue uploading epub to Ingram

I have converted 3 books using Calibre, and I was pleased to have been able to upload epub files to Ingram, until the 4th book. I uploaded the Word file into Calibre, saw that the file was working on the Calibre site and on my computer. The epub file was then uploaded to Ingram Spark for their ebook, and I received a message that the uploaded failed. Here is the message I received:

EBOOK: F Fire 1 29 18 final print 600p - J.B. Simms.epub
Errors:
[ERROR]index_split_165.html: 11,34: attribute "value" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"

Since I did not know how to interpret this, I called Ingram and a techie sent the following message:

"somewhere within their epub they have an attribute listed as "value", this is not correct. The expected attributes are "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang. They need to fix the file. "

The entire Calibre website has been searched, and I see no reference to an attribute listed as value. If I look at the html, and find "value" as an attribute, what about the other attributes?

I am a little conversant on programing, and can fix some things.

Any takers out there?
JBSimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
value is perfectly fine in EPUB files (it works in every single epub rendering software on the planet and is part of the HTML 5 spec). Ingram just use a substandard tool named epubcheck to check their epub files. If you want to make them happy simply find the value attribute and delete it from the EPUB using the calibre editor. You might also have to edit the list/section headings that the value is used for to compensate as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
JBSimms

After having being awakened by a dog at 330am, my concern over this epub matter was on my mind. Thank you very much for your reply and your prompt attention to this matter.
I am not a techie, but I do try to figure out basics, so here is what I found:
The word "value" was written after the attribute "li" which I believe is "list." The list in the book in the book has seven (7) entries. Entries 1-5 are listed on page 165, entries 6 and 7 are listed on page 165, which is the following page.
It appears that when you are beginning a list, it will look like this, just under the heading on page 164 of the book:

<ol class="list_">
<li class="block_250">If the OIG investigators stated that the radiation[/I][/I][/B]

"ol" evidently tells you a list is beginning, then the attribute "li" tells you that the list starts at that point. There is no number given as the first entry of the list, the number one (1) somehow appears in the text. I don't know how that works, but I see the rationality.
The last entry on the list, on page 164 is Number 5.
Number 6 begins on the following page.

<li value="6" class="block_254">The doctors withheld this information from the patients. The radiation therapists could not tell the patient that the doctor did not review the treatment film to make sure of the positioning and dosage.</li>
<li class="block_253">The patient cannot file a malpractice claim unless they know that something was wrong with their treatment. Although others in the department knew the care and treatment given to the patients was inappropriate[/I]

As you see, it appears the word "value" is listed to tell the program that the list begins at Number 6.

I did look at W3Schools and found the attribute "value."

If I remove the word "value" from the code, the number 6 will disappear, and the indentation of the listed paragraph moves.

I will send your reply to Ingram and see is there is a simple keystroke they can do.

Also, I see words highlighted in the coding. Are those highlighted words there as a reference for Calibre?

I hope this issue with Calibre can help others.

Thank you again,

Jim
Old 01-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #4
JBSimms

For the few people who know less than me, the issue was that my manuscript had a numbered list, and the numbered list spanned two pages.

The attribute "value" had to be inserted, with a number, to indicate the point at which the list would continue.

Ingram Spark did not like the word "value" as an attribute, and I submitted the issue to our group. Thankfully, I received information which helped.

I went back into the text, deleted the two numbered items, presented them as paragraphs, and the issue of the attribute "value" was eliminated.

I submitted the edited ebup to Ingram, and it worked.

Thank you for your explanation, and the prompt reply.

Jim Simms
Old 01-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome and glad you got it sorted
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2022, 11:53 AM   #6
Mikexxxx
Mikexxxx began at the beginning.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
value is perfectly fine in EPUB files (it works in every single epub rendering software on the planet and is part of the HTML 5 spec). Ingram just use a substandard tool named epubcheck to check their epub files. If you want to make them happy simply find the value attribute and delete it from the EPUB using the calibre editor. You might also have to edit the list/section headings that the value is used for to compensate as well.
I too am having problems uploading my EPUB file, created in Calibre, to Ingram Spark. The file works perfectly well.

However it doesn't like the attribute "class" now. And several other things. I have spent a lot of time on this and would hate to abandon it now. Any suggestions? The Ingram Spark comment is below:
Spoiler:

(RSC-005): /index_split_000.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_000.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_000_split5.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_000_split1.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_000_split2.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_000_split3.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_000_split4.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_001.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_001.xhtml: Error while parsing file: element "a" not allowed here; expected the element end-tag or element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4...
(RSC-005): /index_split_001.xhtml: Error while parsing file: element "a" not allowed here; expected the element end-tag or element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4...
(RSC-005): /index_split_001_split1.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_002.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_003.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_004.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_005.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_006.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_007.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_008.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_009.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_010.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_011.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-005): /index_split_011_split1.xhtml: Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"
(RSC-012): /index_split_000_split4.xhtml: Fragment identifier is not defined.
(RSC-012): /toc.ncx: Fragment identifier is not defined.

Last edited by theducks; 06-13-2022 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spoilered
Mikexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikexxxx View Post
I too am having problems uploading my EPUB file, created in Calibre, to Ingram Spark. The file works perfectly well.

However it doesn't like the attribute "class" now. And several other things. I have spent a lot of time on this and would hate to abandon it now. Any suggestions? The Ingram Spark comment is below:
In Calibre, install the epubcheck plugin. This will allow you to use epubcheck in the editor to check for errors. Run it and check for errors. We need to see the code HTML/CSS that goes with these errors. With epubcheck, when you see the error, you can clock on it to go to where the error is. Without seeing the code, there's nothing we can do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attributes, calibre, ingram, uploading