Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #16
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
It is 7' and my reaction when I see 6' is like "Hey, how can you read on this?"
I have had only 5-6" readers so far (other than my iPad), and until yesterday I kept wondering if a 7-8" display wouldn't be nicer. In fact, I almost bought one (still thinking about it).

But then I read a thread here on the subject of reading speed. In the course of the discussion, several posters pointed out that wide margins and short lines can improve reading speed and comprehension substantially. I switched my Kobo Glo to the widest margins, which resulted in lines of about 30-35 characters (including spaces) with a medium sized font. I don't know if I'm actually reading faster now (it's deceptive because I do turn pages faster), but it does feel speedier and more effortless.

That took some wind out of my gear lust's sails.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #17
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby74 View Post
...and use my ipad for pdf (even if, I have to tell you, my eyes they don't like so much a backlit screen). Waiting for something better for me next!
I cannot speak about reading apps for Apple devices but I assume they have at least the same capabilities as Android ones with which I am familiar. I don't know what you do but just in case useful, the following comments which I find many do not know (especially the control of lighting level).

If one uses the infinite (essentially) color palette and the lighting control within the reading application (and also create a background texture should one want) one should be able to closely mimic a diffused E Ink display or paper if that is what one wants (or else whatever else meets one's fancy).

Over time it has become increasingly clear to me that many when reading with LCD and AMOLED displays control the lighting with the device's native brightness control which is not the correct way for reading, especially if reading in the low light or the dark. If one uses the control within the reading app itself one can control the lighting to comfortable diffused light levels even for when reading in the dark.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #18
bobby74
bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post

If one uses the infinite (essentially) color palette and the lighting control within the reading application (and also create a background texture should one want) one should be able to closely mimic a diffused E Ink display or paper if that is what one wants (or else whatever else meets one's fancy).

Over time it has become increasingly clear to me that many when reading with LCD and AMOLED displays control the lighting with the device's native brightness control which is not the correct way for reading, especially if reading in the low light or the dark. ...
Very interesting Cat, I will try for sure. Thanks!
bobby74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #19
bobby74
bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
Hi Bobby! I am having my first ebook reader for one moth. It is 7' and my reaction when I see 6' is like "Hey, how can you read on this?" When you change screen settings to landscapem then is 7" quite good for PDF.. I hope you understand my English..
Of course I understand you Sonic! Could be interesting to know which is your ereader, can you tell us? děkujem ;-)
Old 01-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #20
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
I'd recommend Pocketbook Inkpad 2, but it looks like it's out of stock. Kobo Aura One would be a good fit for your purposes (pdf, manga), but only after some fiddling. You will have to install Koreader https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oSOeAnD10

Tolino Epos looks pretty much equivalent to Kobo Aura One http://mytolino.com/tolino-epos/7-8-inch-ebook-reader/

Onyx Note (10" screen) and Max Carta or Max2 (13.3" screen) would be even better, but they are very expensive and not a good buy as a first ereader.

Last edited by mobama; 01-30-2018 at 02:45 PM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #21
Sonicboom
Enthusiast
Sonicboom began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby74 View Post
Of course I understand you Sonic! Could be interesting to know which is your ereader, can you tell us? děkujem ;-)
I have Oasis 2
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:49 PM   #22
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I have e-ink readers from 5" (127mm) to 9.7" (247mm) and I originally started with the large screen, a Kindle DX. Still have more than one of them and like the large screen. Lately been reading on the Oasis 2 and the Kobo Aura One a lot. PDF reading is totally dependent on the original format. For example most of the old Sony PRS series reader manuals are PDF files but the pages are formatted for proper reading on a 5", 6" or 7" screen, the screen sizes of the Sony ebook readers. Too many PDFs are engineering drawings or charts, designed to be read on a large screen. Many also in color so a color screen is needed for best understanding of the presentation.

I am retired so rarely look at PDFs except possibly on a computer screen. For the book reading I do the monochrome eink screen is great.

One huge variable in making a recommendation is that make and model availability varies a lot by country you are in and I have no idea of what is available in Italia.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:42 AM   #23
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I would recommend a kindle and downloading some inexpensive or free ebooks. If only for the ease of returning it if you don't like it after a few weeks. It's hard to know if you would like ebooks without having a reader at home and actually using it for a while. Even the inexpensive kindles are fine and would give you a better idea of what features you would want if you wanted to upgrade later to a more expensive reader. With Calibre and Alf it's easy enough to convert any books for a different brand if you want to change later.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:19 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have a public library that has Overdrive? If you do and you want to be able to borrow eBooks for free, forget the Kindle. They aren't compatible. That leaves you with ePub compatible Readers such as Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #25
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have a public library that has Overdrive? If you do and you want to be able to borrow eBooks for free, forget the Kindle. They aren't compatible. That leaves you with ePub compatible Readers such as Kobo.
Incorrect. I borrow library ebooks and have them delivered to my Kindle all the time.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Incorrect. I borrow library ebooks and have them delivered to my Kindle all the time.
You are presumably in the US, which is the only country where Kindle library borrowing can be done. The OP is in Italy, where it will not work.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-01-2018 at 10:19 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #27
bobby74

Harry and Wolf are right, in Italy could be better have a Kobo or Tolino (thanks for the tip mobama!) for the Library...
I'm thinking also to use a Phablet 7' setting it for a deacent reading and see how you could feel reading there, just to see. Does someone did it?
Old 02-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sure, reading on a 7" tablet should be fine. Many people prefer an eInk screen to LCD, but that's a matter of personal preference. I read PDF files on my iPad and have no problems with that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #29
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are using Overdrive, you should be able to get the ebook onto a Kindle. It may take some extra effort if you get an ADE Epub from Overdrive, but it can be done.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #30
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You are presumably in the US, which is the only country where Kindle library borrowing can be done. The OP is in Italy, where it will not work.
oops, right, I have to stop being so Americacentric or something.

Of course, there are still ways to get it to work...
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote