Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #46
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I forget that my Sonys have touchscreens. I always use the buttons to turn pages. Much easier to rest my finger on a button than to keep having to move it to tap the screen and then move it out of the way to read the screen. It makes my fingers hurt to use a touchscreen and I can't get the right tap or swipe motion anyway so they really don't work all that well.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #47
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
When I read with the T2 I hardly ever use the touch screen, unless I'm looking up a word or navigating the table of contents, or changing a font, etc. But, usually, once a specific book is set up, I don't do much but read and just use the two page turn buttons. I sometimes worry that I'm going to wear out those buttons.

I think the size of a person's hands, as well as the size and shape of the device and how they prefer to hold it (side? bottom?) affect whether it's comfortable to turn pages using buttons vs touch screen.

I often hold the reader from the bottom, in my right hand, and then my thumb fits perfectly over the page turn buttons. Sometimes I hold the reader in my left hand, with my hand more to the side of the reader, and then I can use my left thumb to turn pages with the touch screen. I like having the option to use the buttons or not.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 01:43 AM   #48
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, its very easy to navigate with a touch screen. The T2 has a touch screen and not everything was done with buttons. So the OP's mother is familiar with the touch screen.
Yes, it has a touch screen. She uses it as little as possible. She doesn't like touch screens, period. Since the buttons are one of the things getting flaky on her T2, I had to show her how to turn pages with the touch screen. She's had the T2 since the model was released and I'm sure she was shown when it was new. Even now, she'd still rather press the next page button four times to get it to work rather than use the touchscreen.

Side note: touch screens don't always register her fingertips very well, more so on an iPad than the T2. Not sure why but it adds to her dislike of touch screens. She also really dislikes fingerprints on her screen.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:45 AM   #49
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I forget that my Sonys have touchscreens. I always use the buttons to turn pages. Much easier to rest my finger on a button than to keep having to move it to tap the screen and then move it out of the way to read the screen. It makes my fingers hurt to use a touchscreen and I can't get the right tap or swipe motion anyway so they really don't work all that well.
Yep, that is exactly like my mom. Pretty sure the buttons are going to remain a must have.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:49 AM   #50
dcalder
Zealot

Quote:
When I read with the T2 I hardly ever use the touch screen, unless I'm looking up a word or navigating the table of contents, or changing a font, etc. But, usually, once a specific book is set up, I don't do much but read and just use the two page turn buttons. I sometimes worry that I'm going to wear out those buttons.
My mom has worn out her next page button on her T2, I think. It only works about every four or five presses now. She's experiencing some other issues but a reset got the reader mostly working again for the moment.
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 01:51 AM   #51
dcalder
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Any Reader bought for the OP's mother has to be able to be bought in Canada.
Or online and shipped to Canada, which Pocketbook can be, though not the Touch HD2 as of yet.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:58 AM   #52
dcalder
Zealot

Quote:
Yeah, that's the other issue with the Kobo. The T2 (and T3) can download books directly from the library. (At least mine can. Apparently there are some T2s in some places that can no longer do this.)
That function never worked well on my mom's T2. It was very slow and sluggish. My mom still uses the Sony software to load hers over USB. Her previous two readers were Sonys and she preferred to keep doing it the way she had been. Lately though she has been jealous of the speed and ease with which I can pick books and autoload them in the Libby app on the iPad mini for my dad.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:12 AM   #53
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
That function never worked well on my mom's T2. It was very slow and sluggish. ...
Downloading Overdrive books directly to the T2 is slow and sluggish (via the browser, not the Overdrive app), but possible (at least when using the Fort Worth Library and my specific T2).

Since your Mom is using the Sony Desktop anyhow, you might also consider looking into a PRS-350 or PRS-650 (if you can find one of the latter). The PRS-350 is very small and portable with a 5" screen -- and there seems to be plenty of them still available. But if she really liked the T2, a T3 (though expensive now) might be the best bet. She could keep doing things the old way, with a reader even a bit smaller than the T2 -- and new enough that the battery should still be good.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:15 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
Side note: touch screens don't always register her fingertips very well, more so on an iPad than the T2. Not sure why but it adds to her dislike of touch screens. She also really dislikes fingerprints on her screen.
You cannot compare the screen of an iPad to the screen of a T2. eInk screen do not show fingerprints nearly as much as an LCD screen. It's been a while since I've needed to clean my H2O screen. It doesn't show any fingerprints.

So for eInk screens, you don't have ot worry about fingerprints. And if you do want to clean the screen, a microfiber cloth will do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:20 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With my mom's T1, I did all the sorting of eBooks for her. I would remote into her computer and do it. All she had to do was plug in the T1 and press the connect button on the screen and I was able to do the rest. I didn't mind at all.

She did use the touch screen to change the pages and she had no problem. The buttons on the T series are made of cheap crappy plastic and the plastic used for the button does wear out rather easily.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #56
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Has anyone already suggested Pocketbook readers? Not available in stores but easy to order and great to use if no features besides DRM epub are required.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #57
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The BOOX C76XL Carta+ from Onyx could be a choice. It has support for real buttons and touch screen and a Carta screen. This one happens to be 6.8" but 6" ones are also available. BOOX C67. (Links are to our wiki) They are Android devices like the Sony.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The BOOX C76XL Carta+ from Onyx could be a choice. It has support for real buttons and touch screen and a Carta screen. This one happens to be 6.8" but 6" ones are also available. BOOX C67. (Links are to our wiki) They are Android devices like the Sony.

Dale
Where can you buy these Readers in Canada?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #59
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Is B&N in Canada? The current Nook has page turn buttons on a 6" screen reader and handles Epub files as it's native format. Larger than her Sony as it has wide bezels on all sides of the screen.

I have all three Sony T series readers and the T3 is about the smallest and lightest 6" reader I know of. It also had a step up in screen definition compared to the T1 and T2. Hard to find at a reasonable price though. Even with the lighted case the T3 is smaller and lighter than the T1 and T2 in factory unlighted cases. T3 is 4.3" x 6.3" and weighs 7.6 ounces. The T1 and T2 are 4.6" x 6.85" and weigh 8.5 ounces in original Sony unlighted cases. The T3 also has a sleep cover incorporated in the lighted case so close the cover and the reader enters sleep mode. Not sure about the standard T3 cover as I do not have one.

Last edited by Richwood; 01-24-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you can buy a nG3 (nook Glowlight 3) in Canada and authorize it to ADE, then you can buy eBooks from Kobo and use eBooks from Overdrive without the need to buy eBooks from B&N.