Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #16
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
My Aura HD (whsmith) just updated OTA. Very quickly for my affiliate.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #17
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
The language file has been updated in this firmware. I'm trying to understand what that would mean, returned the chess?
So... Is Chess playing really back on Kobo?

INCANUS
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I have not updated, I'm waiting for a patch from GeoffR. Therefore I asked where the chess came from
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
So... Is Chess playing really back on Kobo?
I only updated an H2O so far. If Chess is here I don't see it.

Under Settings>Beta Features are:
Web Browser
Large Print Mode
Sketch Pad
Sudoku
Unblock It
Solitaire
Word Scramble

I've never played any of the games so can't really comment on how well they work.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #20
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I've never played any of the games so can't really comment on how well they work.
Me neither! Is the usual case of wanting more for no particular reason...

INCANUS
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
macsek
eReader fan
macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Currently using Kindle PaperWhite 4 /32. Also have a Kobo Aura One
Unhappy highlighting is still buggy

Aura One here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
Forgot to check highlighting...
Still buggy, however there might be a slight improvement.
I could select some line ends which I could not, while in other cases I had to close the sleepcover and reopen it to exit a perceptual infinite loop. The book I tried is Calibre User Manual (calibre-3.13.0) in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor in Calibre User Manual 3.13.0
Send to device
8. Fetch Annotations (experimental) : Transfers annotations you may have...
Try to select "Transfers annotations". It hangs on my KA1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor in Calibre User Manual 3.13.0
Add books
4. Add multiple books from archive (ZIP/RAR): Allows you to add multiple e-books that are stored inside the selected ZIP
Try to select "Allows you to add multiple e-books".
8 of 10 cases I selected something different, mostly "Allows you to add multiple e-books that are"

It might be a single faulty KA1. May I ask some of you to test it as well?

I would love to use my KA1. However many times I start reading on it and (because of some bug, especially in highlighting, or in some rare occasions no reaction while turning a page) I get sad and use my kindle voyage instead.
I was just thinking about it, why do I keep hoping for three years now that kobo will ever get rid of the bugs of the text selection part of their code. Or why don't they hire some of the big names from here to help in eliminating the bugs. I agree the firmware quality is progressing, but in a very slow rate. Sad to see that a quality hardware using open formats does not get the same quality firmware for so long.
macsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #22
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Auroa One WiFi is still a pathetic joke. The only time I can ever seem to get the WiFi to work is when it mysteriously turns itself on. I routinely try to turn it on, wait the 1-2 minutes while it tries to connect until it eventually asks me for my WiFi password (which it already knows) only to tell me it can't connect. I always make sure the WiFi is turned off after this pitiful performance. Then one day, BAM!, the WiFi is on and I'm connected with full bars.

As a comparison, on my Glo HD I can hit Sync, it will ask me to turn on the Wifi, it will connect and finish in less time that it takes for the Aura One to finish just trying to turn the WiFi on.

It's a good thing I don't buy my books from Kobo, or I would be even more disappointed with its performance than I already am. Of course this also means I can never get any of my Pocket articles or borrow books from the online library. It still amazes me how much better my old Glo HD works, even though it's running the exact same version firmware, when compared to the device meant to replace it. It takes more than a great screen to make a great product.

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 12-16-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #23
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I never have any trouble with the wifi on my Kobo Aura One. I always leave it on. I use Pocket a lot. So l'm downloading new items and removing old ones frequently.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #24
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I turn on my WiFi only when I want to sync for a new firmware version. The ON/OFF sequence of my WiFi works just fine on my KA1.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does this firmware work on the KA1 Limited Edition?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #26
Greener77176
Greener77176 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o Edition 2
Thank's a lot for your job, seems to work completely on my Kobo Aura H2o Edition 2.
Good job.
Many Thanks for this Christmas gift for my wife.
We will read now all epub into our FNAC / KOBO reader, without problem.

Greener77176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #27
Peenno
Peenno began at the beginning.

Device: Touch A/B & C
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't have anything to add that isn't in the first post. I don't know of any other fixes that weren't mentioned.

As @Peenno has discovered, the display problems are still there on the Touch. I believe this is why it has not been officially released for these devices. In my testing, the problem isn't as bad as Peenno is seeing. I only see it occasionally and usually after using the different menu options while reading.

For calibre, I have updated the supported firmware version number in the KoboTouch driver. This will be in the next release of calibre. There were no other changes needed to support this firmware version. Until the calibre update is release, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware versions" option in the driver configuration.
@davidfor. Thank you. My intention was to give an information for those who wants to update their Kobo Touch A/B. Do you know if there is a way to get the kobo developers? I just want to know if I wait until a corrected version is released or just downgrade.

Thanks
Peenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #28
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
Kobo Auroa One WiFi is still a pathetic joke. The only time I can ever seem to get the WiFi to work is when it mysteriously turns itself on. I routinely try to turn it on, wait the 1-2 minutes while it tries to connect until it eventually asks me for my WiFi password (which it already knows) only to tell me it can't connect. I always make sure the WiFi is turned off after this pitiful performance. Then one day, BAM!, the WiFi is on and I'm connected with full bars.

As a comparison, on my Glo HD I can hit Sync, it will ask me to turn on the Wifi, it will connect and finish in less time that it takes for the Aura One to finish just trying to turn the WiFi on.

It's a good thing I don't buy my books from Kobo, or I would be even more disappointed with its performance than I already am. Of course this also means I can never get any of my Pocket articles or borrow books from the online library. It still amazes me how much better my old Glo HD works, even though it's running the exact same version firmware, when compared to the device meant to replace it. It takes more than a great screen to make a great product.
I had similar issues with wifi on my H2O.
It used to connect fine while i was using the old ddwrt router firmware from around 2013 i suppose, but after upgrading to the latest 2017 build i also started having problems and it wouldnt connect. It would try for about a minute or so , and then ask for the password again.
The problem turned out to be an option they recently added to the firmware, "noise immunity" in advanced wifi settings. After turning this off, my H2O started connecting with no problems once again.
There is part of the blame on kobo too, something in the way they coded the wifi doesnt like that option ticked. My phone connects no problem even with the "noise immunity" option on.
So you could have a similar situation as mine, and might want to troubleshoot the router. Option could be called with different name on your particular model
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does this firmware work on the KA1 Limited Edition?
It will. But, I'm not sure I would recommend anyone with an Aura ONE LE to install 4.7.10413.

Also, Kobo have said they will not release 4.7.10413 to the Aura ONE LE and will bring them into line with the next release.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peenno View Post
@davidfor. Thank you. My intention was to give an information for those who wants to update their Kobo Touch A/B. Do you know if there is a way to get the kobo developers? I just want to know if I wait until a corrected version is released or just downgrade.
The developers know. That's why 4.6.9995 was withdrawn from the Touch. I don't know if they are working on a fix or not. But, I doubt there would be a special release for it, just add it to the next general release. That would be two or three months away.

At this point, if it is bugging you, you should downgrade. 4.7.10413 is working on my N905 Touch. I only get problems after combinations of menu items that I wouldn't normally expect to do. And just now, I couldn't get it to happen at all.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote