Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
mogseta
mogseta began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M96
How do I return to stock firmware (M96)

I have the M96 Universe version from Amazon and I followed the thread to put booxtor's firmware on it and root it. I would like to deroot it and return it to the stock artatech firmware. How would I go about doing this? I downloaded the firmware from onyx-boox.com but I'm not sure how to get it back on the M96. I tried extracting the zip and using fastboot to revert to the artatech system.img, but I got a size error of some sort. Has anyone reverted to artatech from booxtor?
mogseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
vribeiro
vribeiro began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Here is what I've done on my M96 to revert to the original Artatech firmware:
1 - Dowloaded the firmware from the site and unziped it,
2 - Dowloaded the mfgtool from this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=255435 ( M96_2014-09-30_21-42_1.6.4_7efa90c_user.7z ) and unziped it
3 - Copy from the firmware folder to the folder Profiles\MX6SL Linux Update\OS Firmware\files\android (MFGTOOL) the files u-boot.bin, boot.img, recovery.img and system.img in there
4 - Copy from the firmware folder to the folder Profiles\MX6SL Linux Update\OS Firmware\files\logo (MFGTOOL) and place the file uboot_logo.bmp in there
5 - run "adb reboot dowonload"
6 - run the mfgtool2

If you haven't made a backup of the IVONA folder prior to the booxtor firmware instalation, you have lost the ivona tts. If you have made a backup please send it to me

This worked for me on the M96 Universe, I hope it helps.
vribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
ryancamp
ryancamp began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by vribeiro View Post
Thanks, mogseta!
But were did you get the original ArtaTech firmware? All I find is an update (12 Sep 2014) at onyx-boox.com. I have tried contacting them, but they are not at all helpful.
ryancamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:34 AM   #4
kreti
Connoisseur
kreti doesn't litterkreti doesn't litter

Device: energy system 1060 / Avant XL / Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancamp View Post
Thanks, mogseta!
But were did you get the original ArtaTech firmware? All I find is an update (12 Sep 2014) at onyx-boox.com.
The update is a complete firmware.
kreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
grapiuna
grapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notes

Device: Have Onyx Boox M96 (Had KoboGlo, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-900, Kindle).
Quote:
Originally Posted by vribeiro View Post
2 - Dowloaded the mfgtool from this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=255435 ( M96_2014-09-30_21-42_1.6.4_7efa90c_user.7z ) and unziped it
3 - Copy from the firmware folder to the folder Profiles\MX6SL Linux Update\OS Firmware\files\android (MFGTOOL) the files u-boot.bin, boot.img, recovery.img and system.img in there
4 - Copy from the firmware folder to the folder Profiles\MX6SL Linux Update\OS Firmware\files\logo (MFGTOOL) and place the file uboot_logo.bmp in there
5 - run "adb reboot dowonload"
6 - run the mfgtool2

If you haven't made a backup of the IVONA folder prior to the booxtor firmware instalation, you have lost the ivona tts. If you have made a backup please send it to me

This worked for me on the M96 Universe, I hope it helps.
I've received a link to the TTS file from service@artatech.com:

I hope this helps

Last edited by grapiuna; 08-12-2015 at 02:22 PM.
grapiuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
ryancamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreti View Post
The update is a complete firmware.
Thanks kreti, but is this true? I expected the full ROM would be a lot bigger file (closer to 500MB). The update is under 200MB (compressed). Ah, maybe the MFG tool actually contains the base ROM. If I understand vribeiro's instructions correctly, then the update file is just used to copy in the ArtaTech specific changes that are included in these files: u-boot.bin, boot.img, recovery.img, system.img and uboot_logo.bmp. Think that's right?
Old 08-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
ryancamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapiuna View Post
I've received a link to the TTS file from service@artatech.com: ...
Thanks, grapiuna, but the link they provided no longer works. Anyway, it's good to have their email address and to know they may be willing to help on a case by case basis. Maybe I'll email and ask them for a complete ROM to use for restoring to stock firmware (support at onyx-boox.com was completely unhelpful and evasive when I asked them in May).

vribeiro, I really appreciate you sharing this info, but I'm puzzled as to why we should have to jump through all these hoops (e.g., obtain and install ADB and MFG Tool from unknown sources) just to get back to the stock ROM.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
grapiuna
grapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notes

Device: Have Onyx Boox M96 (Had KoboGlo, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-900, Kindle).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancamp View Post
Thanks, grapiuna, but the link they provided no longer works. Anyway, it's good to have their email address and to know they may be willing to help on a case by case basis. Maybe I'll email and ask them for a complete ROM to use for restoring to stock firmware (support at onyx-boox.com was completely unhelpful and evasive when I asked them in May).

vribeiro, I really appreciate you sharing this info, but I'm puzzled as to why we should have to jump through all these hoops (e.g., obtain and install ADB and MFG Tool from unknown sources) just to get back to the stock ROM.
ryancamp,
They said that are doing a new firmware with TTS included by the end of the month
grapiuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:03 AM   #9
jlinden
Connoisseur
jlinden began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Sony TS-1, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox M96
Hi Mogseta,

Can I ask you a question: were you not satisfied with the Booxtor firmware?
I face the same choice as Artatech will not be making any firmware updates anymore.

Jan
jlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:03 AM   #10
ryancamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapiuna View Post
They said that are doing a new firmware with TTS included by the end of the month
Interesting. On Monday (10-Aug-2015, 11:28am UTC) they told me "we are sorry but we can not give you any specific information or date regarding update because we are waiting for information from producer Onyx International."
I've just about given up on them (it's been 11 months now without a single update), but your comments give me hope, so maybe I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinden View Post
... as Artatech will not be making any firmware updates anymore.
jlinden, do you know something definitive?
Old 08-14-2015, 03:35 AM   #11
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML AG2
ArtaTech underlined this on Polish forum several times - they are unable to perform any single change in firmware without Onyx Int support.
bulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:48 AM   #12
jlinden
Connoisseur
jlinden began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Sony TS-1, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox M96
I got this from Artatech:

Dear Jan,

Unfortunately, we are no longer able to provide any firmware updates for Onyx BOOX, due to problems with Onyx International. Of course, we are still going to cover the warranty for all Onyx BOOX products sold by Arta Tech.

Our access to ONYX servers has been canceled by our former Chinese partner, that is why we are unable to launch any new upgrade and updates of firmware.

We are extremely sorry about any inconvenience, caused by problems Onyx International is facing at the moment.

Our goal is to satisfy our clients, and improve the quality of products we are offering, but any future updates will be limited only to some software that is present on the Onyx BOOX devices.

Sincerely,

Beata

5 days ago

So I guess that's that then....

Jan
jlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #13
ryancamp

Thanks, bulek and jlinden - good to know!
I see that Onyx-Boox.com is no longer listed on Onyx International's website either. Looks like we've been waiting in vain.