Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
Sending metadata to Wifi Kobo is slow

I hate to bring this up because I love Calibre but this is bothering me.

I've noticed that Calibre is handling uploads much slower than it used to.

time to get device info: 0s
time to get list of books on device: 4s
time to upload 1 book to device: 2s
time to send metadata to device: 2m 16s

It was quite fast with my original Kobo so I'm wondering what may have happened since I started using my WiFi Kobo.
Any ideas?

Joyful
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Proper support for the Wifi Kobo will only be in the next release of calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Thanks, Kovid!

Joyful
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
chrisakavern
Keep on Nook'in
chrisakavern doesn't litterchrisakavern doesn't litter

Device: NOOK (Original) & NOOK Color (N2A)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Proper support for the Wifi Kobo will only be in the next release of calibre.
I just got a WiFi Kobo and it is still very slow to upload Meta Data. Otherwise I love this reader and Calibre is AWESOME!!
chrisakavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have no idea, I don't maintain the Kobo plugin in calibre, timlegge is your man. I'd say that sending metadata will take long if you have a lot of books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Which version of Calibre are you running? What is your OS?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
chrisakavern
Keep on Nook'in

Windows 7, Calibre 0.7.53 and the Kobo 1.9
Old 04-23-2011, 04:10 AM   #8
Joyful
Connoisseur

I'm finding this problem again with my WiFi Kobo (not the one I had the original problem with - this is a newer one).
Time to upload a book 3 secs.
Time to upload the metadata has risen to 16 minutes 38 secs.
(To compare, I uploaded the same book onto my original Kobo and it took 0 s and 1 s for the metadata.)
Anyone have any idea why this is and what I can do to fix the problem?

According to Windows the total free space on the device is 799 MB.

Kobo WiFi
software version 1.9
Calibre 0.7.50
Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Hi

I have been busy but I will take a look at it. It will probably be early next week though.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Joyful
Connoisseur

Thanks, Tim!
Joyful
Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
I'm finding this problem again with my WiFi Kobo (not the one I had the original problem with - this is a newer one).
Time to upload a book 3 secs.
Time to upload the metadata has risen to 16 minutes 38 secs.
(To compare, I uploaded the same book onto my original Kobo and it took 0 s and 1 s for the metadata.)
Anyone have any idea why this is and what I can do to fix the problem?

According to Windows the total free space on the device is 799 MB.

Kobo WiFi
software version 1.9
Calibre 0.7.50

Are you plugging it into a hub or directly into the PC? This may not be a Calibre problem but a Windows 7 problem. http://windows7professional.wordpres...ransfers-slow/
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
Joyful
Connoisseur

USB hub can't be the problem as metadata upload times to original Kobo are short using the hub.

No matter which USB port I use the metadata times are 14-17 minutes on the WiFi Kobo and it doesn't matter whether I'm uploading 5 books at a time or just one. Same time to remove a book as well.

I'm worried this may be a Kobo problem and nothing to do with Calibre and I'll have to do a reset of the device but I'll wait and see what Tim says first.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
USB hub can't be the problem as metadata upload times to original Kobo are short using the hub.

No matter which USB port I use the metadata times are 14-17 minutes on the WiFi Kobo and it doesn't matter whether I'm uploading 5 books at a time or just one. Same time to remove a book as well.

I'm worried this may be a Kobo problem and nothing to do with Calibre and I'll have to do a reset of the device but I'll wait and see what Tim says first.
So far my testing on Linux sees to support that it might be local to your kobo. I see metadata times under 3 seconds in my testing. I dont have access to windows 7 at the moment so I cannot test there.

How many books do you have on your device.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #14
Joyful
Connoisseur

About 300.
Is number of books significant?

I'm trying to remember if this behaviour starting showing up after I upgraded the firmware or whether this was happening before.

I appreciate you taking the time to look into this for me, Tim!
I'll probably do a reset and start over. I don't really know what else to do.

Joyful
Old 04-30-2011, 02:47 AM   #15
chrisakavern
Keep on Nook'in

I too am experiencing this slow load time of the Metadata if I load one book or 20 it's still very slow. Including the preloaded I have 305 books loaded. I am also nut plugging it into the computer via a hub. and the reader is software version 1.9

Update: I installed Calibre on my Linux Machine and this problem is not present, I am thinking it has to be a Windows 7 issue.

Last edited by chrisakavern; 05-06-2011 at 12:36 AM.