Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #1
DarkWorld
DarkWorld began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O (1st gen)
Unable to find MAC address

Hi, I am unable to find the MAC address of my Kobo Aura H2O (1st gen) under device information.

The part after MAC address appears to be completely blank, whereas all the other boxes have content.

DarkWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Here, it is appearing OK. If the WiFi is off, it doesn't appear immediately. It turns up after a couple of seconds. But, what firmware version are you running? I'm sure that in the past, if didn't show unless the WiFi was actually connected.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
DarkWorld
DarkWorld began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O (1st gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Here, it is appearing OK. If the WiFi is off, it doesn't appear immediately. It turns up after a couple of seconds. But, what firmware version are you running? I'm sure that in the past, if didn't show unless the WiFi was actually connected.
Hi,

I'm running version 4.6.10075, update 25/10/2017
DarkWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:59 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Looks like it's time for an update.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:11 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWorld View Post
I'm running version 4.6.10075, update 25/10/2017
That's one release back. I'm pretty sure that the behaviour of the MAC address field won't have changed in that time. Kobo did lots of work earlier on the WiFi, so if anything changed, it would have been then.

One thing missing in your posts: Do you have WiFi turned on, and is it connected? If it is and the MAC address is missing, I think that is a problem. If it is off, then I wouldn't be concerned.

Also, is there a reason for the concern? Or did you just happen to notice the MAC address was missing and wanted to know what was going on?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Some experimental evidence ...

I never enable wi-fi on any of my devices but I have always made a note of serial number and MAC address as one of the first things I do with a new device. My most recent purchase was the KA1 at launch time. MAC address was visible at that time.

Now here's a mystery, something changed during the course of me composing this post. The KA1 went into standby whilst the Device Info page was displayed. When I used the button to switch it back on again the MAC address was now visible. So I let all the devices go into standby before switching them back on.

The current situation for each of my devices, on the Settings Device Info page is:
Glo - fw 4.6.10075 - MAC is NOT visible
AuraHD - fw 3.19.5761 - MAC visible and correct
Aura6" - fw 4.6.10075 - MAC is NOT visible
H2O v1 - fw 4.7.10413 - MAC visible, but wrong value!
GloHD - fw 4.7.10413 - MAC is NOT visible now IS visible but wrong value!
AuraOne - fw 4.7.10413 - MAC is NOT visible now IS visible and correct.

The 2 devices displaying a wrong MAC address are showing the same wrong value (00:90:4C:11:22:33) which I think must be some dummy value as it doesn't match any of my devices.

Clear as mud!!!
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote