Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
JFilipe
JFilipe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6''
Restoring...

Hello
Maybe this problem will have a basic solution, but I'm still not getting my Kobo to work.

I bought my Kobo Aura (1st Edition) about 1 month ago (used / refurbished) and it always worked very well until a few days ago.
Two days ago, I was reading an epub, and the screen completely frezzes.

I made a Soft Reset first, and then a Factory Reset, and after a few tries it turned on, but after setting up Wi-fi, the screen with 5 points to "Restoring ..." will always appear in loop.
When I sometimes connect to the "Select language" menu, I can connect Kobo to the computer, and then test some firmware available online.
After disconnecting Kobo from the computer, it does "Update" and then enters the "Restoring ..." loop again.

I already installed the last firmware, but the problem always persisted.

Surely this situation has already happened to someone. Can you give me any tips?
Thank you.

Last edited by JFilipe; 02-22-2018 at 05:51 PM.
JFilipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
JFilipe

The device eventually turns on and shows the "Select Language" menu, connects to Wi-Fi and apparently updates without any problems, then appears a black screen with five points and the word "Restore" in various languages, finally the image to ask to connect Kobo to the computer. And this happens whenever I turn on the equipment.
Once the device is on, I actually connect to the computer and I've tried several firmwares, but I'm having trouble finding the one that solves the problem, or some procedure I'm doing wrong. ???

I believe it is not a hardware problem because it starts and connect to the computer without problems.

Please, I need some guidance in this subject.
Thanks.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, but that really sounds like the device is failing. If it was a device with an internal SD card, I would recommend replacing it. But, the Aura has fixed internal memory. I think something in this is failing so that whenever it restarts, it can't read or write something and thinks a factory reset is needed.

You can try different firmware, but I doubt it will work. I'd start with the factory firmware. Connect to the PC after the factory reset, use the Kobo desktop to do the setup and remove the firmware update files before ejecting the device. My expectation is that this will work, but if you power off and on again, you will be back at the factory reset. If that happens, then no firmware will work as all require a reboot during the setup process.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #4
JFilipe

You were 100% correct! the solution that you indicated to me worked perfectly and my Kobo is now working.
Unfortunately I can not turn it off or restart, because the problem already described happens again, I must have already bought it with this defect ...
But this way I can use the equipment, as long as I take care to keep it always on. After suspend mode, the device reacts normally.
Thank you very much for the guidance.