Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
swapjim
swapjim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can I add/replace fonts in Kobo Aura 2nd Edition?

I plan to buy a Kobo Aura 2nd Edition. From what I gather, it's very easy to add custom fonts on the Kobo readers. And this is something they seem to keep up to this day.

But if I've learned something about companies is that a practice can change at a whim, even for two different products that came out of the door the same day. So if there is someone who's tried adding/replacing fonts in a Kobo Aura 2nd Edition, please step up and say what the results where?
swapjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapjim View Post
I plan to buy a Kobo Aura 2nd Edition. From what I gather, it's very easy to add custom fonts on the Kobo readers. And this is something they seem to keep up to this day.

But if I've learned something about companies is that a practice can change at a whim, even for two different products that came out of the door the same day. So if there is someone who's tried adding/replacing fonts in a Kobo Aura 2nd Edition, please step up and say what the results where?
No issues adding fonts. Remember all kobo eReaders use the same f/w albeit with minor build differences for different h/w
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
swapjim

Does "f/w" mean firmware?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapjim View Post
Does "f/w" mean firmware?
Yes it does.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
swapjim

Thank you.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I haven't replaced fonts, but I read with a font I've added and no problem.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have some fonts added to my H2O and the one I use is one I added. With the patches, the monospace font I use (when the ePub requests monospace) is one I added because I wanted a darker font.

Speaking of fonts, if I added a font with the same name as one of the system fonts, which font would be used or would I just confuse things and cause a problem?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:18 AM   #8
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Speaking of fonts, if I added a font with the same name as one of the system fonts, which font would be used or would I just confuse things and cause a problem?
I have added the Amasis font from the Nook distro. It is used instead of the built-in one.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I have added the Amasis font from the Nook distro. It is used instead of the built-in one.
Very nice. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote