Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-01-2015, 04:11 AM   #1
joro
Avid Reader
joro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad, iPhone
Overdrive/Adobe Problem

Got a new Win 8.1 computer and now I can't get books from my library.

On my previous machine (Win7), I was able to check out books from my library with both Overdrive and the 3M Cloud library. (For some reason the two programs seem to have different book available from the same library.)

But now, when I try to borrow an eBook using my Overdrive connection, Adobe Digital Editions 4.0 (ADE) gives me a pop-up with "Error! Check Activation".

When I go to Help / Check Authorization, I get window that says "This Computer is Already Authorized" = and then gives the authorization for the 3M gateway. I need an additional authorization for Overdrive access.

I tried to see if deauthorizing and reauthorizing might solve this, but when I attempt that I get a message that I can't do that at this time, try again later. That's been going on for five days.

How can I authorize ADE to open books?

(I hope this is the right place to post this question. If it isn't, I hope the moderator will move to the appropriate place.)
joro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
(You want the general discussions forum. A moderator should be by soon to move the thread.)

OverDrive books should be able to be checked out to any Adobe ID, assuming they haven't already been checked out with another ID.
What do you mean by "the authorization for the 3M gateway"? I thought 3M Cloud uses whichever Adobe ID is configured in ADE.
What exactly do you see on the authorization screen?

If you really want to deauthorize, you can try uninstalling ADE using Revo Uninstaller, which should clean up the authorization from the registry as well, and then reinstall and sign in. It is a bit of an extreme solution though.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved out of the Lounge (of all the silly places to post a computer issue at), and moved to the General Discussion Forum.

Lounge: "Friendly banter and discussions unrelated to e-books."

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-01-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What do you mean by "the authorization for the 3M gateway"? I thought 3M Cloud uses whichever Adobe ID is configured in ADE.
IIRC it can use your existing Adobe ID, but can also use a 3M Library account instead. Of course one wants to use an Adobe ID based authorization if they'll be using ADE for books from more than one source.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
joro
Avid Reader
joro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchfork

Maybe solved - maybe not

While patiently (not really) waiting for a reply that would solve my problem, I thought if I could remove the registry entry (in Windows), maybe I could start fresh with ADE.

In regedit, I deleted the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept and then tried to download a book from my library. Success: it activated after I entered my Adobe ID and password. And now it's in my iPad.

Yet to be tested: Will I be able to download and read books from the 3M Cloud Library from my library? And will it activate books from a different library using Overdrive? All three worked fine in my old machine.

(And thanks for moving this thread. I wasn't sure where to post it - now I know)
Old 07-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both OD and 3M support ADE registered with an Adobe ID so you should be okay. The 3M Library ID thing is just an optional method for folks who only use it for that and don't want to register with Adobe.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
IIRC it can use your existing Adobe ID, but can also use a 3M Library account instead. Of course one wants to use an Adobe ID based authorization if they'll be using ADE for books from more than one source.
I am pretty sure when I set it up it demanded I activate an Adobe ID. I could be wrong, as it was awhile ago, and I am hesitant to mess around with what works ATM.

I am running 3M Cloud and ADE on linux, using WINE.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I am pretty sure when I set it up it demanded I activate an Adobe ID. I could be wrong, as it was awhile ago, and I am hesitant to mess around with what works ATM.

I am running 3M Cloud and ADE on linux, using WINE.
They may have at one point, but from 3M's FAQ...

Quote:
Can I transfer books I’ve checked out on the PC to my personal e-reader?

Yes, once you have checked out a book to your PC, you can transfer a copy to your e-reader.

To do this, connect your e-reader to your PC using a USB cable. When you connect it and go to the My Books tab in the 3M Cloud Library App, you will see a green button appear on each book you have checked out that says “Download to Device”. Click this green button to transfer a copy of the book to your e-reader.

Note: It is important that the PC and the e-reader have both been activated with the same encrypting account – either and Adobe ID account or a 3M Cloud Library ID account. If these are different you will see a message that these are different. Changing the account if you already have books on the device will prevent you from opening some of the books.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
joro
Avid Reader

Thank you, AnemicOak. Your reply came just after I found out how to solve this, but your advice absolutely right.

ADE wants to create the problem all by itself. After I cleared the registry key and activated ADE with my Adobe ID, I went to d/l a book from the 3M library. When it opened ADE, it started in the activation page and showed a 3M activation choice which it said was "Recommended". That caused the problem. What I should have done before (and what I did this time) was to click on the bar and switch to my Adobe ID. Both are working fine now.

Thanks to everyone who offered help - it is very much appreciated.

Tags
adobe, authorization, overdrive, problem