Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2015, 02:11 AM   #31
EngelS
EngelS began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi, surquizu
You must add the "plural" word translation.

But if I change the option CurrentLocale = it_IT on CurrentLocale = ru_RU in file Kobo eReader.conf. Also copy "trans_it.qm" to "trans_ru.qm". Then date will appear in russian, but interface still remains in english.
Is there any way to do so, and the date and the interface is the same russian language?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-24_090348_.png
Views:	580
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	139575   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002_.png
Views:	570
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	139576   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003_.png
Views:	612
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	139577  

Last edited by EngelS; 06-24-2015 at 03:02 AM.
EngelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:27 AM   #32
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
Hi Tshering,

The method of translation with "qm" works well, but there are some texts that I can not translate. I do not understand why because the text strings in "qs" file are apparently well translated. See the images.
Open the ts file with an editor and change <TS version="2.0" language="ca"> to <TS version="2.0" language="es"> or some other language that uses only two categories of numerus, singular and plural. (Or you can do this change also in Qt linguist, I do not know about virtaal). In Qt linguist those translations that are now in the Undecal(11) slot will shift to the Plural slot. I guess this will solve to problem.

Actually, I do not know why Catalan numerus is treated by Qt linguist the way it is. I think I would have to have some knowledge of Catalan grammar. So maybe it is better to let the language setting unchanged and populate the plural slots in addition to the Undecal(11) slots. There is however a related discussion at http://www.qtcentre.org/archive/index.php/t-38901.html that questions whether Qt linguist handles Catalan numerus correctly.

Last edited by tshering; 06-24-2015 at 03:18 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:38 AM   #33
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngelS View Post
If I use the Italian language and replace it translated into Russian (trans_it.qm).
Then date on the home screen becomes Italian.
Unfortunately time/date formatting is provided by the OS and is independent of the translation function of the Qt application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngelS View Post
But if I change the option CurrentLocale = it_IT on CurrentLocale = ru_RU in file Kobo eReader.conf. Also copy "trans_it.qm" to "trans_ru.qm". Then date will appear in russian, but interface still remains in english.
Is there any way to do so, and the date and the interface is the same russian language?
The problem is that nickel only tries to load qm files of those languages that are officially supported. Maybe it is possible to add languages to the list of supported languages or maybe rather to replace a supported language by your own by patching nickel/libnickel.

I have installed the original English qm file as trans_ja.qm, and selected Japanese as interface language. The effect is that my interface is now in English, I can switch the keyboard between English and Japanese (that was my point of doing the whole thing), there is no italic formatting of menu entries any longer, and - this point might be interesting for you - the date is displayed as "2015/06/24". There might be some other changes that you would not like, for instance in the Settings > Date and time, the date is written in Japanese.

Last edited by tshering; 06-24-2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #34
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Open the ts file with an editor and change <TS version="2.0" language="ca"> to <TS version="2.0" language="es"> .... I guess this will solve to problem.
Thanks. Now is perfect.
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:43 PM   #35
fengcuo
fengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD & Glo
Quote:
I should also mention that after loading nickel only three system fonts are available. And none of them might include the characters needed for you language. In such cases, the required font will be available to the interface only after you open a book (and maybe open the font menu).
Is it possible to add or replace one system font?
fengcuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #36
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Device: kobo h2o
hi

its a simple excel file to extract whatever between <source> </source> and if you change it automatically insert between <translation> </translation>

in case if someone need it

here

Last edited by barobach_so; 06-25-2015 at 08:31 AM.
barobach_so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #37
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengcuo View Post
Is it possible to add or replace one system font?
I am not aware that anybody did this successfully. Maybe, nobody has tried hard enough yet.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:37 AM   #38
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by barobach_so View Post
hi

its a simple excel file to extract whatever between <source> </source> and if you change it automatically insert between <translation> </translation>

in case if someone need it

here
Thank you for your contribution. Do you see any advantage in using excel instead of Qt linguist (apart from not having to install Qt linguist)?
Old 06-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #39
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Device: kobo h2o
Quote:
Thank you for your contribution. Do you see any advantage in using excel instead of Qt linguist (apart from not having to install Qt linguist)?
hi
not necessarily
I don't know what is Qt... and if it is free to use or available for Windows

I use Excel to automated the extraction and replacement of the phrases and can divide it by line numbers between some ones to translate (your first post's file *.ts is more than 500 pages)

edit:
And I'm thinking to do a trick that makes us independent of copying font in kobo ( for Persian I mean ) :
Kobo shows Persian web sites character by character and in opposite direction originally (before copying fonts) . there is software name " Arab Shaping " that reverse the words character and make it correct ( originally usage is for subtitles )

I make some dictionary by this method in koreader although the koreader builders said its not possible
I think its maybe release us to tab Aa every time

your opinion Tshering ?

Last edited by barobach_so; 06-25-2015 at 08:36 AM.
barobach_so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #40
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by barobach_so View Post
And I'm thinking to do a trick that makes us independent of copying font in kobo ( for Persian I mean ) :
Kobo shows Persian web sites character by character and in opposite direction originally (before copying fonts) . there is software name " Arab Shaping " that reverse the words character and make it correct ( originally usage is for subtitles )

I make some dictionary by this method in koreader although the koreader builders said its not possible
I think its maybe release us to tab Aa every time

your opinion Tshering ?
If the web browser displays Persian text without a Persian font being installed on the system, I guess the web page is using a server hosted webfont, as for instance http://www.bbc.com/persian. If this is what you are referring to, I cannot imagine how you apply this technique to the GUI of nickel. Or do you think of something different?
Old 06-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #41
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hi thsering,

Can you extract the .ts file of Spanish translation? I want to reverse the translation to the original situation without having to do a factory reset.

Better would be a step by step (for dummies) how it is done (do not like to be always asking for favors!)
Old 06-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #42
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
hi thsering,

Can you extract the .ts file of Spanish translation? I want to reverse the translation to the original situation without having to do a factory reset.

Better would be a step by step (for dummies) how it is done (do not like to be always asking for favors!)
I have uploaded uninstall_qms.zip to the first post.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #43
surquizu
Evangelist

Quote:
I have uploaded uninstall_qms.zip to the first post.
Thanks
Old 08-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From a hint given on the beta firmware list, it appears that there is a better way to do this.

It appears that nickel uses the "ExtraLocales" option in the config file to load extra languages. Adding "ExtraLocales=ca" into the "ApplicationPreferences" section of the config file adds an extra option to the list of available languages. At the end will be "Extra: ca". Selecting loads the translation file and set the interface language. It also seems to set the locale correctly.

And it looks like the extra locales is a comma separated list. With "ca,ru", I get both added to the list of languages. Selecting ru doesn't work, but that might be the translation file. I haven't tried it by itself yet.

I haven't played with this much but have found a problem. If I try to open the list menu in the library, it the device reboots. This might be a version problem. I have beta firmware installed and the translation files I tried are from this thread with only a change to set the language properly. Or it could be the Qt version I am using.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #45
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From a hint given on the beta firmware list, it appears that there is a better way to do this.

It appears that nickel uses the "ExtraLocales" option in the config file to load extra languages. Adding "ExtraLocales=ca" into the "ApplicationPreferences" section of the config file adds an extra option to the list of available languages. At the end will be "Extra: ca". Selecting loads the translation file and set the interface language. It also seems to set the locale correctly.
Thank you David for this valuable information. Works perfectly for me with Catalan from this thread.

Quote:
And it looks like the extra locales is a comma separated list. With "ca,ru", I get both added to the list of languages. Selecting ru doesn't work, but that might be the translation file. I haven't tried it by itself yet.
I can select ru, independent whether there is actually a trans_ru.qm on the device or not (I did not try with a broken trans_ru.qm however).

Quote:
I haven't played with this much but have found a problem. If I try to open the list menu in the library, it the device reboots. This might be a version problem. I have beta firmware installed and the translation files I tried are from this thread with only a change to set the language properly. Or it could be the Qt version I am using.
I do not see this issue with FW 3.16.10. I made the qm with Qt 5.4, but I do not think that this makes a difference, since I used different Qt versions in the past (of course testing on slightly older Kobo FWs).

I guess we owe this change to the initiative of george.talusan. Thank you Mr george.talusan! (I do not think he is following this thread however!)