Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardbewoner View Post
Q John F No i had no idea,looked it up and its a replacement for ade so you need adobe id, ...
Yep, but you don't need ADE, which means you don't need Wine.

Quote:
nice to see people work on linux solutions. besides A ALF works on WC. And as i was a victim of the first server shutdown long ago and lost al e-books i pass for anything that need a 3th party to work. Just grumpy me
Apprentice Alf also works on Linux. I'm not sure what server shutdown you're talking about, but if you don't read books sold with DRM at all it could be pretty limiting.

I think this is a very good solution for Linux users.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Edit: Oops, rcentros beat me to it.

Quote:
Q John F No i had no idea,looked it up and its a replacement for ade so you need adobe id, nice to see people work on linux solutions. besides A ALF works on WC. And as i was a victim of the first server shutdown long ago and lost al e-books i pass for anything that need a 3th party to work. Just grumpy me
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at, but I thought A Alf (and Calibre) were pretty much platform agnostic?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #48
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Windows Computer as PC is no indication of the OS.
Then why don't you use LC?
Old 10-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Edit: Oops, rcentros beat me to it.

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at, but I thought A Alf (and Calibre) were pretty much platform agnostic?
For what it's worth, I tested the ASCM plugin on Linux (SUSE Tumbleweed, calibre 5.28, DeDRM 7.2.1, VMWare Workstation VM). Other than having to contact Adobe to get a new activation added, it worked. The test epubs were downloaded and imported to calibre.

calibre and most of it's plugins are indeed platform agnostic.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it's worth, I tested the ASCM plugin on Linux (SUSE Tumbleweed, calibre 5.28, DeDRM 7.2.1, VMWare Workstation VM). Other than having to contact Adobe to get a new activation added, it worked. The test epubs were downloaded and imported to calibre.

In the past (a few years ago) I remember having to download a specific version of Obok for Linux because it was picky. But the newest version version of DeDRM and Obok work fine on the newest version of Calibre. And DeASCM gets rid of the need to use Wine and ADE (I never could get ADE to work in Wine for some reason). So it's great. (Currently using it on Linux Mint 19.1, which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.)

As for activation, you should (hopefully?) only have to do that once, as DeASCM allows you to export the keys to a file. (I haven't tried it on another computer yet, so can't (yet) vouch for that.)
Advert
Old 10-02-2021, 05:48 AM   #51
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Where does the plugin get the key from if you don't have ADE on Windows, an ereader?
Old 10-02-2021, 06:44 AM   #52
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Here's an enlightening article on a closely related topic:

http://informationr.net/ir/24-3/paper837.html

As a librarian in the UK, this makes depressing reading.
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:22 AM   #53
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Where does the plugin get the key from if you don't have ADE on Windows, an ereader?
It gets it from Adobe. (You have to have already signed up for an ADE account.) The plugin has entries for your Adobe ADE user name and password and it authorizes your computer. I don't know exactly how it works, but it's just like authorizing on a Tolino or PocketBook. (Except PocketBook automatically gives you an Adobe account when you register for their Cloud and allows you to add additional Adobe accounts.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deascm2.png
Views:	272
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	189479  

Last edited by rcentros; 10-02-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:13 PM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The encryption key is obtained when you add your Adobe ID/password to the plugin. You can then export the account encryption key and the account activation data. Much like my saving my Adobe information from my Kobos, you can use the exports later to avoid having to re-activate with Adobe.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:59 AM   #55
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
The encryption key is obtained when you add your Adobe ID/password to the plugin. You can then export the account encryption key and the account activation data. Much like my saving my Adobe information from my Kobos, you can use the exports later to avoid having to re-activate with Adobe.
How? I can't see any import function.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:21 AM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
There's screen capture attached to this message that shows the export options...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=53

"Export account encryption key" creates your ".der" file. I just named mine "keys.der" (it doesn't name the file or add the ".der" extension automatically).

"Export account activation data" creates a zip file named "adobe_account_backup.zip" — you have the option to import this file instead of authorizing the account in DeASCM (on a different computer). This way you don't use up all your authorizations. For example, I've just set up my laptop using the exported information from my desktop. I know it didn't reauthorize because it shows the laptop as an Optiplex 780 (which is my desktop).

And it works fine on the laptop. I'm going to try this on a Chromebook next (in Crostini or Linux Apps, whichever name is official now).
Old 10-03-2021, 04:25 AM   #57
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Or activate another computer, without using up your authorizations.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:18 AM   #58
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't read your post close enough. You were asking about importing. When you first start DeASCM you can chose to authorize with Adobe or import your zip file information (exported from another device). I've attached a screenshot. (Now a second screenshot, showing what you'll see after the import.) You can either "Link to ADE account" by logging in, or import the zip file you exported from another device.

I don't think there is a way to avoid logging in on the first device.

(Screenshots from my Chromebook.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-03 2.43.35 AM.png
Views:	264
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	189497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-03 2.50.27 AM.png
Views:	249
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	189500  

Last edited by rcentros; 10-03-2021 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added 2nd image.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:25 AM   #59
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

I've got Calibre working on my Chromebook (with DeASCM and DeDRM). You can't drag and drop the book, instead you have to right-click on the .ascm file and "Open with Calibre." Unfortunately I still don't know how to connect the eBook to Calibre via the Chromebook's USB port. So (I guess) it only half works. You have to move the books from your Calibre directory to a directory outside of your virtual Linux directories and then copy the book file (by "hand") to the eBook Reader. The Chromebook sees the eReader, but not in Linux.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #60
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I do OverDrive from three library systems. I leave WiFi off on all my readers, sync books, technical references and notes over USB. My biggest OverDrive-specific complaint is that their Windows ADE sucks and has never been fixed. To get activation.xml to update on an ereader often requires copying over another book.

I could also use Hoopla, never tried it, I don't know how it works.

My biggest overall complaint is the lack of metadata. Only one of my OverDrive sources actually has page count. Ok, I know this is digital and page count is approximate, but I sometimes borrow a book for seven days and discover that it's 1000 pages long! (I try to use the shortest borrowing time to keep the books in circulation.) OverDrive and even Gutenberg only show some pointless dates like eBook release date. It's impossible to search for book originally published in 1950-1980. Moreover, I find the selection is skewed towards recent books and classic (public domain) literature with a big chunk of the 20th century missing.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote