Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #376
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Any way to patch on a Chromebook?
Use Linux if your Chromebook supports Crostini. You might want to check Chrome OS devices/Crostini for installing Arch Linux with Crostini replacing the default Debian install.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #377
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Use Linux if your Chromebook supports Crostini. You might want to check Chrome OS devices/Crostini for installing Arch Linux with Crostini replacing the default Debian install.
Note that Debian will work fine.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #378
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It might also run just fine in a stock CrOs dev shell? (Or not, bionic is weird).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #379
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Note that Debian will work fine.
Entirely possible. When I was playing with it, I installed Arch just to see how it worked so didn't do much testing with the stock Debian install.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #380
WormGod
WormGod began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD, PRS-350
Not sure if this is the correct place for this, so please redirect me if it is not.

I recently purchased a Clara HD to replace my slowly dying PRS-350 and wanted to customize it a bit more after using it for a few weeks.
I have read through all 26 pages of this thread, and I think I mostly understand how kobopatch works, but I have a few questions that I would like clarified before I start screwing things up. I have a fair amount of experience with unix/linux and programming, so I am not afraid to dig into the details, experiment, and recover.

1. If I enable a patch in the kobopatch.yaml file (and build and install it), what do I do if I decide that I really don't want that patch? Is it as simple as changing the kobopatch.yaml file to disable that patch and rebuild and reinstall the KoboRoot.tgz file on my Clara?
2. Some of the patches, (e.g. "Custom font sizes" or "Customize ComfortLight settings") allow customization within the patch. Then, I assume I can select one of these customized values from within a settings menu. So what happens if I upgrade to a new FW without enabling this patch again? Does the Clara use the relative setting that I had selected? That is, if I chose the third smallest font size after enabling the patch, will it start using the new third smallest font size if the patch is disabled?
3. If I also wanted to install MiniClock, how would I do that with kobopatch installed? I can only have one KoboRoot.tgz file in the .kobo directoy, or does that file get removed by the OS once it is installed? If that is the case, which should I install first? Is there a general order for which order patches should be applied?
4. I have other customizing that I would like to do (e.g. turn the light on/off with one or two touches). Where is the best place to search for this sort of thing?

Thanks all!
WormGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #381
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@WormGod:

1. Yep.

2. That applies to very few and very specific things (I'd say line height, font sizes, possibly margins?). If you don't touch the UI at all, there's a chance the values will be preserved on a vanilla system, otherwise, the UI does what it's asked to and stomps on it .

TL;DR: Patch ASAP after an update .

3. Depending on how familiar you are with how things works, you have a couple of choices:

a. Install 'em one by one. I'd start with the patches.

b. Merge the tarballs into a single one. You can only concatenate uncompressed tarballs, so, uncompress and recompress yourself (c.f., http://trac.ak-team.com/trac/browser...opatch.sh#L170). Nothing should ever clash with what the patches tarball contains, so it's generally safe.

c. Install stuff manually, live in a shell. After all, the only thing the system does with those is tar xvzf KoboRoot.tgz -C / . This is potentially not a great idea for the patches themselves if you do it with Nickel still running, ^^. And most things will require a reboot to take.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-24-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #382
WormGod
WormGod began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
b. Merge the tarballs into a single one. You can only concatenate uncompressed tarballs, so, uncompress and recompress yourself (c.f., http://trac.ak-team.com/trac/browser...opatch.sh#L170). Nothing should ever clash with what the patches tarball contains, so it's generally safe.
Thanks! I'm going to start playing with this over the next few days (after reading through all the individual kobopatch patches and the entire MiniClock thread).
Is there any limit to the number of tarballs that I can put into a KoboRoot.tgz file? One big initial update seems faster than a bunch of sequential updates.
WormGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #383
NiLuJe
BLAM!

As long as the contents don't clash, not really.

Then again, there aren't that many things actually worth installing these days, and/or things needing a refresh after FW updates, so that shouldn't really be an issue .
Old 10-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #384
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Can we use patch with nickelmenu installed first?

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 10-03-2021 at 05:29 AM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #385
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Can we use patch with nickelmenu installed first?
Yes, you can.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:20 AM   #386
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Yes, you can.
Thank you very much
Old 10-13-2021, 12:42 AM   #387
Deobulakenyo
Guru

So i want to reduce the space between the last text on a page and the footer (Book Title and page and progress bar) and so I looked at the yaml and found the patch below. However i do not understand some of the requirements in the instruction like "uncomment part here":

Un-comment and customise ONLY ONE of the following to change header/footer font-family
#- {Find: "font-family: Avenir;", Replace: "font-family:Avenir;"}
#- {Find: "font-family: Avenir;", Replace: "font-family:Avenir; background:transparent;"}
#
# Hint:
# Even if you don't need to change font-family you might want to un-comment the 2nd Find/Replace above.

Can somebody tell me what is meant by "uncomment" and if I want to use my own font, where should I put it in the patch line? example i want to use helvetica that is in the fonts folder, how do i direct the patch to the helvetica?

my fw is 4.28.18220 Kobo Libra

EDIT: Figured it out. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1634099270326.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	635.8 KB
ID:	189600  

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 10-14-2021 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:22 AM   #388
FireFrog
Enthusiast
FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle 2019, Kobo Libra 2
Does kobopatch have a way to force or ignore font size set by publisher across KEPUBS? I know it can override publisher font style and spacing with user settings. But I can't find one for font size. A set size still varies from one book to the other.
FireFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #389
TimeEffect
Connoisseur
TimeEffect began at the beginning.

Device: Glo
Please help, first time doing this

I can get as far as enabling the patches using notepad for the yaml files

I run .bat

But theres no KoboRootz in my out folder! What am I doing wrong?
TimeEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:51 PM   #390
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeEffect View Post
Please help, first time doing this

I can get as far as enabling the patches using notepad for the yaml files

I run .bat

But theres no KoboRootz in my out folder! What am I doing wrong?
Check the log.txt file in the out folder for any errors. If you can't see any, you can post the log.txt file here. Just wrap it in spoiler tags (the eyeball with an X icon).

Tags
kobo, kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb