Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 08-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #46
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
article download failures are usually caused by network issues or aggressive firewall/antivirus. Look at the log and see what the errors are for the failed downloads. If its a timeout/aborted type error it means network/firewall issues.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #47
sup
Connoisseur
sup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2012)
So I solved the problem by upgrading my OpenWRT router to the latest release. No idea why it should make a difference but it did.
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #48
Villanelle
Villanelle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2019
Hi! The case is on Kindle Basic 2019 The Economist generated by Calibre in highlights instead of a short description shows just the "." dot symbol. Could that be fixed somehow? I tried looking through the code but that turned out not feasible for me to fix myself. Can someone look into that please?
Villanelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:16 PM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Economist index page does not have descriptions for most articles: https://www.economist.com/weeklyedition/2020-09-12
Old 09-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #50
Villanelle
Villanelle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2019
Yeah. But you can get article description out their print edition RSS. Could that be used somehow?
Otherwise it looks wacky, not production quality, has a cheap feel to it.
Villanelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #51
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanelle View Post
Yeah. But you can get article description out their print edition RSS. Could that be used somehow?
Otherwise it looks wacky, not production quality, has a cheap feel to it.
Then feel free to pay amazon for the non cheap version.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:55 AM   #52
bg284
bg284 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi all - really love the Calibre Economist function. Very recently, I had to reinstall Calibre and re-setup the economist fetch news. A few changes were spotted. The title now helpfully comes with the weekly date, which is an appreciated improvement.

However, now each article ends with a) a navbar (for next section, next article) which throws off the formatting b) an attribution saying the article was downloaded via Calibre.

Is this an issue with the update to the economist recipes? If so, could anyone point me how to modify it? Because on the kindle, it takes an extra 2 pages per article. It's something I can live with, but would prefer to find a way to fix.

Thanks again for help!
bg284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:02 AM   #53
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You need to set your output profile to kindle and output format to either mobi or azw3
Old 07-21-2021, 05:03 AM   #54
bg284

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You need to set your output profile to kindle and output format to either mobi or azw3
Thanks! I've tried setting the output profile to kindle and output format to mobi. But it persists in downloading as EPUB first. Subsequent conversions to MOBI still result in the navbar being shown.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #55
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I dont see how thats possible. It will download in the output format you set in Preferences->Behavior->Preferred output format
Old 07-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #56
bg284

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I dont see how thats possible. It will download in the output format you set in Preferences->Behavior->Preferred output format
Thanks so much, now fixed. I realised my earlier error. I had been changing Preferences > Common Options > Page Setup and that didn't result in the default output being changed.

I hadn't realised you were on Patreon - but have now subscribed. Have a great rest of week!