Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-25-2020, 05:46 AM   #1
max-min
max-min has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.max-min has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.max-min has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: touch lux
[Feature request] Confirmation or warning when deleting file

Hi,

It happens me quite a few times that I think I'm editing the text and I delete some letters, but, if the focus is on the file-selector, I'm in fact deleting one or even several files without even noticing it.

If I realize my mystaket before to exit, I can reverse it with Ctrl-left, at the cost of loosing all changed made after this accident. But if I save and exit, I end up with an amputated epub.

Would it be a good idea to ask confirmation when deleting a file in the file-selector, since it is a rather destructive action ? Or at least to pop-up a warning for some seconds so it won't go unnoticed ?

Thank you !
max-min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well, one of the major reasons for the whole checkpointing ability (the left arrow) in the editor is that if you accidentally do something, you can undo it, including delete files. This allows the editor to dispense with the whole rigmarole of confirmation popups.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2020, 07:18 AM   #3
max-min
max-min has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.max-min has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.max-min has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you for the answer, Kovid.

Well, you're right in the way we can undo the action, but what if we don't noticed we've just deleted a file? (it really happened to me). So, maybe a short warning box ("File deleted") ? Just half a second, so the action is acknowledged ? And only when just one file is selected in the file-selector, this accident is unlikely when more than one file is selected,
Old 11-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some kind of non-modal warning is fine, but not a priority for me to implement. I'll get to it when I have time, or patches are welcome.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There you go, now the editor beeps when deleting a file. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...df1de8f218b924
Advert
Old 11-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There you go, now the editor beeps when deleting a file. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...df1de8f218b924
Can this be turned off?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

no, it cant.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
no, it cant.
Please then delete this feature. I do delete a lot of files and do not want the beeping or to have to turn off the sound. Again this is a change to benefit one that doesn't benefit others like the preview window color change in 4.22. And that fuzzy search that was for the benefit of one.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You delete a lot of files in a go, you get one beep. You will survive one beep.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You delete a lot of files in a go, you get one beep. You will survive one beep.
But I don't delete in one go. I delete useless HTML files and then any orphaned graphics and fonts I don't want. Having to delete in on go is not a workable solution.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Right, so you have to live with two beeps, the horror.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #12
max-min

Thank you Kovid, and sorry JSWolf, I couldn't imagine that one deletes a lot of individual files. If it is better to reverse this, I certainly will understand it.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by max-min View Post
Thank you Kovid, and sorry JSWolf, I couldn't imagine that one deletes a lot of individual files. If it is better to reverse this, I certainly will understand it.
I agree with JSWolf too, as I check file to file, and remove as I check, not in a batch. But, anyway, if it's a beep, I'll disable the sound and that's all.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 11-25-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #14
max-min

What about a short, tiny an non-blocking msg-box ?
Or a confirm-box with the standard check-box "Show this confirmation again" ?
Old 11-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I agree with JSWolf too, as I check file to file, and remove as I check, not in a batch. Buy, anyway, if it's a beep, I'll disable the sound and that's all.
I do the same thing when I delete unneeded files.