Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Big Sur on Intel Macs

I got my MacBook Pro 16" last spring and just installed Big Sur. I know...I said I'd wait, but I didn't.

Has anyone else noticed that their computer seems faster under Big Sur? Safari certainly is. But launching any app appears faster. The photos app seems to display the photos better than before.

I may be experiencing a placebo effect, but I really wasn't expecting anything like this.
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
The only thing I noticed was it broke my printer

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post

Jim
Your printer isn't broken. It still works exactly the same as it did before Big Sur. The driver may be broken and there may not be a compatible driver, but the printer itself is not broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your printer isn't broken. It still works exactly the same as it did before Big Sur. The driver may be broken and there may not be a compatible driver, but the printer itself is not broken.
Quibbler!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post

Jim
Haven’t tried to print yet. I’ll let you know. How have you found the rest?

So far Office, outlook, slack...for me no problems
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Haven’t tried to print yet. I’ll let you know. How have you found the rest?

So far Office, outlook, slack...for me no problems
Before using big sur read this:

https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-computer-isnt-yours/

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Before using big sur read this:

https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-computer-isnt-yours/

bernie
I'll keep an eye on that controversy. I'm not swallowing it whole hog at this point. That would be quite a scandal for Apple's Security First marketing.

Apparently Little Snitch has put forward a Big Sur compatible version.

The makers of TripMode had a different take on what it going on. No mention of Apple logging all apps that run, but that Apple had exempted 56 of it's own apps and services from being filtered by application firewalls like Trip Mode.

One of the prime uses of Trip Mode was to block iCloud back ground traffic when you are on slow or expensive networks. Now their app can't provide that service.

In other less important news. No problem printing to my Brother laser printer.

Last edited by leebase; 11-14-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jon, that takes literal-mindedness to a whole new level, even for you.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I got my MacBook Pro 16" last spring and just installed Big Sur. I know...I said I'd wait, but I didn't.

Has anyone else noticed that their computer seems faster under Big Sur? Safari certainly is. But launching any app appears faster. The photos app seems to display the photos better than before.

I may be experiencing a placebo effect, but I really wasn't expecting anything like this.
Yea, my macbook pro does seem faster. My iMac seems faster as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #10
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
A large number of late 2013 and mid 2014 13-inch MacBook Pro owners are reporting that the macOS Big Sur update is bricking their machines.
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/15...-macbook-pros/
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon

About that security issue:

An Apple spokesperson told iPhone in Canada it had updated its support document, ‘Safely open apps on your Mac’, to now further detail its privacy protections.

“Gatekeeper performs online checks to verify if an app contains known malware and whether the developer’s signing certificate is revoked,” explains Apple. “We have never combined data from these checks with information about Apple users or their devices. We do not use data from these checks to learn what individual users are launching or running on their devices,” clarified the company.

“Notarization checks if the app contains known malware using an encrypted connection that is resilient to server failures,” says Apple, further emphasizing, “These security checks have never included the user’s Apple ID or the identity of their device. To further protect privacy, we have stopped logging IP addresses associated with Developer ID certificate checks, and we will ensure that any collected IP addresses are removed from logs,” details Apple.

On top of this, Apple says “over the next year we will introduce several changes to our security checks,” specifically:

a new encrypted protocol for Developer ID certificate revocation checks
strong protections against server failure
a new preference for users to opt out of these security protections

article
Old 11-17-2020, 05:33 AM   #12
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
My 2015 imac is notoriously slow. So I'll be upgrading to big sur shortly. Hopefully I'll get a speed bump.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #13
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
About that security issue:

An Apple spokesperson told iPhone in Canada it had updated its support document, ‘Safely open apps on your Mac’, to now further detail its privacy protections.

“Gatekeeper performs online checks to verify if an app contains known malware and whether the developer’s signing certificate is revoked,” explains Apple. “We have never combined data from these checks with information about Apple users or their devices. We do not use data from these checks to learn what individual users are launching or running on their devices,” clarified the company.

“Notarization checks if the app contains known malware using an encrypted connection that is resilient to server failures,” says Apple, further emphasizing, “These security checks have never included the user’s Apple ID or the identity of their device. To further protect privacy, we have stopped logging IP addresses associated with Developer ID certificate checks, and we will ensure that any collected IP addresses are removed from logs,” details Apple.

On top of this, Apple says “over the next year we will introduce several changes to our security checks,” specifically:

a new encrypted protocol for Developer ID certificate revocation checks
strong protections against server failure
a new preference for users to opt out of these security protections

article
I always have to question the motives of a poster who brings up an Apple issue as to whether they are just anti-Apple. @gbm has several devices listed in his Device area, but none or from Apple. Besides, that article reads more like propaganda than an investigative report. My take is that Apple has always highly guarded and secured our data in the past, so I don’t worry about them on such matters...
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #14
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I always have to question the motives of a poster who brings up an Apple issue as to whether they are just anti-Apple. @gbm has several devices listed in his Device area, but none or from Apple. Besides, that article reads more like propaganda than an investigative report. My take is that Apple has always highly guarded and secured our data in the past, so I don’t worry about them on such matters...
I have decades of experience as a Field engineer--plus over 8 years of working in a hardware/software development lab and manufacturing faculty.

What I professionally recommend depend on what the machine is to be used for and budget. Some systems are better that other a certain tasks--I.E. apple used to be unbeatable at video and graphics work and apple desktops are still what I recommend for that work.

My post is to let people know what they are buying i.e. buyer beware.

The first hard drives I worked with needed a forklift to move it around.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:27 PM   #15
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
My post is to let people know what they are buying i.e. buyer beware.
Your post links to an article that was technically debunked[1]. It doesn't mean your intention was flawed or the author of the article is not a reputable source. Apple is a giant corp. and every move they make is under the scrutiny of many security experts.

Whenever possible try to do your own research before linking to a unique source of trust. Doing that prevents the echo chamber (both positive and negative) that's usual in Apple products,.

Of course, each person has their own opinion, but confirmation bias is a powerful factor that cannot be ignored and can drive us to mix opinions with facts if they're according to our world vision.

[1] https://blog.jacopo.io/en/post/apple-ocsp/.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote