Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
prefdavid
prefdavid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Error Get list of books from Kindle Fire

I'm trying to connect to my wife's Kindle Fire from Calibre.

I can see the kindle is connected but I'm getting the above message and the following description:

Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 512, in _books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 220, in books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 192, in get_driveinfo
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 182, in _update_drive_info
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 153, in put_calibre_file
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 36, in check_thread
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 445, in put_file
wpd.WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Any help would be much appreciated.
prefdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Could you let us know what computer and o/s you are using?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
prefdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Could you let us know what computer and o/s you are using?
Laptop with Windows 10

I can connect to my very old and basic kindle with no problems at all from this.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you looked at https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ted-by-calibre and https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#android-usb
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
prefdavid

I've looked at those but they're not really addressing the problem. I can see the Kindle Fire is connected to Calibre. However I'm unable to see any books that are installed due to the error listed in my original post. I can send books to the Fire but it also seems to be quite rando whether they are stored as books or documents. However the immediate issue is not being able to see what's on the Fire.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is an error communicating with the device. Usually, this kind of error can be fixed by
following the steps below in sequence. First:

1) Try rebooting both the device and your computer
2) If that does not work, find the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the device
and delete them (you can use Windows Explorer or a file manager on the device itself to do this)
3) Reset the device

If none of those work, you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd '''),
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #7
prefdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That is an error communicating with the device. Usually, this kind of error can be fixed by
following the steps below in sequence. First:

1) Try rebooting both the device and your computer
2) If that does not work, find the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the device
and delete them (you can use Windows Explorer or a file manager on the device itself to do this)
3) Reset the device

If none of those work, you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd '''),
1) Tried that but no joy.
2) Found the driveinfo file and deleted it but there was no metadata file on the Fire. Rebooted the Fire and reconnected to the PC and Calibre. Same problem, still can't get the list of books from the Fire to Calibre.
3) Haven't yet had time to try connecting wirelessly but fail to see why that will work if connecting via USB cable doesn't?
Old 12-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Because they are different subsystems and this error is specific to the MTP subsystem. MTP is a VERY flakey protocol.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:31 AM   #9
prefdavid

Thanks for this. I finally managed to connect the Fire using the Calibre Companion app but it wasn't simple to get this working at all. I have managed to connect via the Wireless connection but not to the Content Server.