Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
blueormer
blueormer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil on Catalina

I have just bought a new Mac with Catalina installed. I have successfully downloaded and installed Sigil but when I try to run it, I get the following message:

“Sigil” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

I have seen that there was a discussion about this last year - is there any update? Or will Sigil never run on Catalina?

Thanks, Steve
blueormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Sigil runs on Catalina just fine. You just need to figure out how to tell the OS that you truly want to open it. Once you do that it works like normal. Depending on your settings, this can be as easy as right clicking on the Sigil app and choosing open twice in a row.

And no, what Apple is doing to try to "control" open source software is misguided at best and truly horrible at worst. Especially since I already pay Apple money just to digitally sign the executable for a "free to all" project and have been doing that for years now!

Last edited by KevinH; 11-02-2020 at 09:11 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
My question is similar. Is it time to upgrade from Mojave and is it okay to do so? Sigil is a major use for me in reformatting my purchased and PD epubs. I am evne using it to break up omnibus editions for which I have previous single ePubs from that author.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
And my answer is just the same. It works just fine after you properly tell Catalina that you definitely want to open Sigil.

I have no information about Sigil on Big Sur or with an M1 running under Rosetta 2.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote