Notices

Old 01-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #556
ottischwenk
Connoisseur
ottischwenk began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 3 HD, Tolino Shine 2 HD, Nexus 7 2012, Doogee Turbo F1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Perhaps you need to adjust the contrast. This can easily cause the problem you are seeing.Dale
No - the best result is when everything is turned off.
On 256 level greyscale the lowest 15% are shown black and remaining 85% are seperated in the other 15 greylevels.
And this is a firmware issue - a bug beginning with 1.0.5.
You must imagine: a value of 28H middle of 3rd band (second grey) is shown in black.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #557
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
No - the best result is when everything is turned off.
On 256 level greyscale the lowest 15% are shown black and remaining 85% are seperated in the other 15 greylevels.
And this is a firmware issue - a bug beginning with 1.0.5.
You must imagine: a value of 28H middle of 3rd band (second grey) is shown in black.
The display on our wiki Grayscale shows a uniform 16 levels of grayscale. This is appropriate for e Ink.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #558
ottischwenk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The display on our wiki Grayscale shows a uniform 16 levels of grayscale. This is appropriate for e Ink.
When using this (4 bit scale), Likebook Mars 1.0.5 shows 3 lines black and 13 lines of greys.
When using 8 bit scale(00-FF), Likebook Mars 1.0.5 shows app 3 times thick black, and 15 other lines of greys.
And this is buggy.
I want 1.0.4 back!
Or a repair of this bug

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-10-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #559
rvcjew
rvcjew began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, T80S, T80D
So this one https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...54591d15FBqxmE is just a new version of the t80 plus with a dual color front light, faster cpu, no physical home button and lolipop? Is it actually faster to say browse in chrome to get books and have faster real time scrolling? I use a t80 plus and moon+ and chrome and root explorer that is like it.

Thanks for the info.
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:32 AM   #560
ottischwenk
Connoisseur

Is a contact adress of Boyue Liebook known, where i can report the greyscale bug?
Perhaps they donot know it
Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 AM   #561
psychowood
Enthusiast
psychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmospsychowood has become one with the cosmos

Device: i86ML Plus
I'm seriously considering to get a Mars and replace my i86ML: all given, seems a good device for the price and I'm geek enough to work with it
Any news about rooting the device?
psychowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #562
fduniho
Connoisseur
fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle Touch, Fire & DX; Rooted Nook ST; Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
So this one https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...54591d15FBqxmE is just a new version of the t80 plus with a dual color front light, faster cpu, no physical home button and lolipop?
The Likebook Mars has Marshmellow (Android 6), not Lollipop (Android 5).

Quote:
Is it actually faster to say browse in chrome to get books and have faster real time scrolling? I use a t80 plus and moon+ and chrome and root explorer that is like it.
I do not use Chrome or any other browser to get books. Ereading apps normally have their own bookstores, and even Moon+Reader lets me get books directly from various sources. But you probably could use it for that if you wanted to.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #563
Thelele
Thelele has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
When using this (4 bit scale), Likebook Mars 1.0.5 shows 3 lines black and 13 lines of greys.
When using 8 bit scale(00-FF), Likebook Mars 1.0.5 shows app 3 times thick black, and 15 other lines of greys.
And this is buggy.
I want 1.0.4 back!
Or a repair of this bug
Okay, I think I see what your issue is.

When I load this image, it shows 16 grey levels, but unevenly banded, with the bottom part solidly black: https://s3.amazonaws.com/spoonflower...op_preview.png

When I load THIS image, the bottom 3 levels are black: https://orig00.deviantart.net/ec83/f...ry-d36dso3.png

So it seems to be a deliberate (?) contrast function. Maybe.
Thelele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #564
ottischwenk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelele View Post
When I load this image, it shows 16 grey levels, but unevenly banded, with the bottom part solidly black: https://s3.amazonaws.com/spoonflower...op_preview.png

When I load THIS image, the bottom 3 levels are black: https://orig00.deviantart.net/ec83/f...ry-d36dso3.png

So it seems to be a deliberate (?) contrast function. Maybe.
Or, and this is my opinion, it is a undetected bug in contrast handling - because it is completely senseless.
Dark grey levels are shown as black

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-11-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #565
rvcjew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
The Likebook Mars has Marshmellow (Android 6), not Lollipop (Android 5).
Right my bad sorry I work off the numbers not the names.

Quote:
I do not use Chrome or any other browser to get books. Ereading apps normally have their own bookstores, and even Moon+Reader lets me get books directly from various sources. But you probably could use it for that if you wanted to.
Ah okay, I got the one off the link and it apparently it will be here in 4 days but I doubt it. The new front light and CPU I think is worth it for me alone. I also had some alliexpress coupons so got it for around 220.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 AM   #566
ernieh
ernieh began at the beginning.

Device: kobo,calibre,aldiko, and others
Have not had time to go through the 38 pages of this thread but by commenting on it will probably get it on email to go through.
Have just got the Mars and am disappointed that it does not include Adobe Reader Mobile for downloading books with DRM. The now defunct Icarus versions always did. Any fully legitimate ways to get around this?
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:51 AM   #567
rvcjew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Have not had time to go through the 38 pages of this thread but by commenting on it will probably get it on email to go through.
Have just got the Mars and am disappointed that it does not include Adobe Reader Mobile for downloading books with DRM. The now defunct Icarus versions always did. Any fully legitimate ways to get around this?
Can you not just get Adobe reader off the play store and use that version that is up to date. Mine came in and this is a tablet with an eink display now vs a e-reader that runs Android, it's that capable now.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #568
ottischwenk
Connoisseur

Quote:
You can get Adobe Digital Editions from Google Play Store
Old 01-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #569
ernieh
ernieh began at the beginning.

Device: kobo,calibre,aldiko, and others
Just got the Mars and updated its system to the latest and I don't see the play store on it, at least not working. As for Android 6, a VERY truncated version, just vaguely looks like it!
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #570
rvcjew

Quote:
Just got the Mars and updated its system to the latest and I don't see the play store on it, at least not working. As for Android 6, a VERY truncated version, just vaguely looks like it!
It is fully fledged 6.0 it just has a skin over most of it and does not have the traditional notification shade. To get the Play Store follow this to get the framework installed so that it will show up and work. I grabbed these shots off ADB. It also has a stock settings location vs the Boyue one as well, I for instance turned on developer options then turned all animations to .5x speed like I do on all android devices I use.

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.png
Views:	61
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	169116   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.png
Views:	56
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	169117   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen3.png