Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 01-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #31
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
(shudder) Oh, the humanity of it all!
Well, here is a concise version of my to-read list:

Mary Stewart - Merlin Trilogy
Andzhej Sapkovskij - The Witcher
Bernard Cornwell - Warlord Trilogy
Lord Dunsany - The King of Elfland's Daughter
C. S. Friedman - Coldfire Trilogy
Robin Hobb - The Farseer Trilogy
Robin Hobb - The Tawny Man
Robin Hobb - The Soldier Son
Richard Morgan - Takeshi Kovacs
Nik Perumov - 2 whole series
Terry Pratchett - Nation
Salman Rushdie - The Satanic Verses
Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon
Neal Stephenson - The Baroque Cycle
S.M. Stirling - The Peshawar Lancers
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Trilogy
Robert A. Heinlein – The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Robert A. Heinlein - The Puppet Masters

Any of them are available in the upload section on the forum?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #32
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post

Andzhej Sapkovskij - The Witcher
Bernard Cornwell - Warlord Trilogy
Lord Dunsany - The King of Elfland's Daughter
C. S. Friedman - Coldfire Trilogy
Robin Hobb - The Farseer Trilogy
Robin Hobb - The Tawny Man
Robin Hobb - The Soldier Son
Richard Morgan - Takeshi Kovacs
Nik Perumov - 2 whole series
Terry Pratchett - Nation
Salman Rushdie - The Satanic Verses
Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon
Neal Stephenson - The Baroque Cycle
S.M. Stirling - The Peshawar Lancers
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Trilogy
Robert A. Heinlein – The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Robert A. Heinlein - The Puppet Masters

I read Brandon Sanderson's Elantris and loved it. I need to try his mistborn trilogy.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #33
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think of the book posting as co-operative, rather than competititive. I've posted quite a lot recently because things have been quiet round here at home. But I'm expecting a busy spell soon, so there may be fewer.
I would recommend having a go at book conversion as something more people might try: you get to inprove your computer skills.
Also you find yourself looking at favourite books in new ways: I hadn't paid much attention to punctuation and italicisation until I started converting books. Now I'm beginning to realise that different authors have very different and personal quirks in these areas.
You can also save space. I release my paper copies into the wild once I've converted them. (Well, they go to a homeless peoples' shelter, the local hospital, or a charity shop.)
I've also saved a small fortune by drastically reducing my Amazon habit.
But, best of all, I've met some nice people here on the forum.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #34
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I do have to agree with patricia that perhaps when starting out the ebooks are formatted different,then a recent one.
A user gains knowledge over time,and perhaps I have downloaded just some bad formatted books.

I myself have learned lots over time;and spend nearly 4 hours making an ebook look good!

If I'd upload some of the books I've downloaded from the Forum here, I can only say that the book either needs to be re-done, or is awaiting a second version.
All of the issues come from lrf files I've downloaded from here, though I don't remember the user(s) uploading them.

About the 'race', that was more meant as a funny remark, after seeing the "Uploaders Hall of Fame", @ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline

Patricia supposedly uploaded 100 times the amount of ebooks I uploaded; and that's something!

Last edited by ProDigit; 01-11-2009 at 06:56 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #35
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The book count is skewed in the opposite direction by the omnibus editions here. One omnibus "book" may contain 5 or even 10 titles that are full 60K word books in their own right. Look at Burrough's Mars stories, The collected works of H.P.Lovecraft, Sherlock Holmes omnibuses, Raffles, H Rider Haggard, Burton's Thousand and One Nights, ect.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #36
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
actually i wouldn't even dare try to estimate the unique titles here. RSE is right, there are the ombnibus editions which skew in one direction, and then there are the different formats, which skew in the opposite direction. especially since i believe at first there was *only* the lrf format, so that one has a very big headstart, and others were added progressively. i think the most recent one to get its own subforum is the imp format. and next will be the epub format. and not everyone learns to make all formats, some people make only one format. so the distribution is rather erratic i think.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #37
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
8000 books is a total number of all formats correct?
Does it mean it is safe to assume there are about 2000 titles?
It would depend on the format but LRF has the most. 3469 uploads
IMP has 1906 and Mobi has 2501 the rest are misc.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #38
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
We'll just agree then that it is 'More then you could fit in your handbag' if they were pbooks.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #39
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
We'll just agree then that it is 'More then you could fit in your handbag' if they were pbooks.

-MJ
I prefer the term, "man-bag", thank-you very much, MJ.

I am completely and utterly stoked by the efforts put in by our uploaders, be they of the passion and dedication and effort of the 3 to 5 top uploaders, or the simple generosity of someone who has formatted an obscure PD book for their own pleasure but then seen fit to share the results knowing that it's a big world (wide web) out there with enough space for many tastes (Plus there's the few original works created by MR members ).

As such, the number of ebooks I have bought can be counted as four, and two of those are dictionaries (okay, technically, one novel is over six ebooks). Everything else on my Iliad's CF card is from MobileRead, my most reliable source for PD ebooks.

Thank-you all for that. 8,000 is a celebratory mile-marker, but also every single ebook you dedicate yourself to and upload is a celebration in itself.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #40
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
We can easily estimate the minimum number of unique title uploads, assuming that each thread is a book upload. As of a few moments ago, the number of uploads for each format (not counting the sticky threads) is:

LRF: 3487
PRC: 2508
IMP: 1910
Others: 192

Since there are only a few duplicated titles, we can estimate that the minimum number of unique titles that have been uploaded is about 3500, easily.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #41
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I do have to agree with patricia that perhaps when starting out the ebooks are formatted different,then a recent one.
A user gains knowledge over time,and perhaps I have downloaded just some bad formatted books.

I myself have learned lots over time;and spend nearly 4 hours making an ebook look good!

If I'd upload some of the books I've downloaded from the Forum here, I can only say that the book either needs to be re-done, or is awaiting a second version.
All of the issues come from lrf files I've downloaded from here, though I don't remember the user(s) uploading them.

About the 'race', that was more meant as a funny remark, after seeing the "Uploaders Hall of Fame", @ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline

Patricia supposedly uploaded 100 times the amount of ebooks I uploaded; and that's something!
@ bad (sic!) formatted books: Well, if you have founded qualms, tell the uploader. Everybody will at least explain why there are problems or fix them if feasible.
@don't remember: The book will still be online. Search it by title, then you see the assembler. Easy!
@race: I still think that we do not need that "Hall of Fame". Oh, and it wasn't funny (at all)
@Patricia: She did not only upload more than 100 times the amount of ebooks that you did, but she is also a beacon of quality in our community.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:37 AM   #42
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
I don't know about others, but my gut feelings tell me that Patricia is very diligent/good quality ebooks producer.

P.S. I have not read a single book from the forum so far.
I'll vouch for Patricia's work.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #43
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

Ohhhh, loved those books! I got them in my bookcase (the physical one!) as fast as I could when I finally found them...

Might I suggest Stephen R. Lawhead and his Pendragon Cycle too?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #44
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I must add my appreciation of the uploaders. Especially Patricia, who, after much pestering on my part, did the entire Thousand Nights and a Night, Sir Richard Burton Translation. Which should boost the story count by a thousand, according to current thought.

Also, who knew Zuni pottery was so fascinating?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #45
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I must add my appreciation of the uploaders. Especially Patricia, who, after much pestering on my part, did the entire Thousand Nights and a Night, Sir Richard Burton Translation. Which should boost the story count by a thousand, according to current thought.

Also, who knew Zuni pottery was so fascinating?
Or at least 10, as the original was printed in 10 volumes...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote