Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Clara boot up times

When I first had my Clara, I noticed boot up time from off took all 8 squares on the progress bar. Since there are only 5 shown at a time, this meant 5 turned over black, then 3 turned white. This was on firmware 4.8.11073 that it shipped with.

Then I changed the SD card to a faster / larger SD card and the boot up time went down to 4 squares on the progress bar. I attributed the faster card to loading the OS faster.

When I upgraded the firmware to 4.9.11314 the boot up time marginally increased to 5 squares turning over to black on the progress bar.

Now, I upgraded the firmware again to 4.10.11655 and the boot up time takes 16 squares! 5 turn over black, then 5 turn over white, 5 turn over black again, and 1 turns over white.

I know that if the OS gets bigger it takes more time to load, and the difference is only a couple seconds, but I’d like to hear from other Clara owners how long it takes them to boot up their OS.

My friend has a kindle voyage and I notice it never goes off - only to sleep - unless the battery is about to die. The wake up time on it is always nearly instantaneous. The longer load time on my Clara makes me realize why some people want to patch it to turn off after 48hrs.

I never thought the boot up time was that bad until I saw the increase on this latest firmware.
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
1. Your boot time is abnormal. You might have found signs of a defect in your sd card, or a problem with your database / Filesystem corruption.

2. Why not just leave it on and in sleep mode. It's great that Kobo's *can* be turned off for storage without draining battery, (unlike kindle's), but if you're going to be using it, there's rarely any reason to do so.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Clara boot up times

Possibly...
My Kobo isnt patched at the moment to allow turning off after 48 hours (or whatever the max is). So after 1 hour it goes from sleep to off.

I just turned it on again, and this time it took 17 squares to start up.

So I just made a recording of me turning on my Clara. The first 4 seconds I lift it up and push the power button, the LED lights, and the screen goes blank. The next 21 seconds the device boots up. The video ends at 26 seconds when it loads the home screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moLRlW14Sv0

It isn’t a long wait, but it seems like it used to be about 1/3 of that.

Last edited by Derf; 09-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
You don't need to patch to just let Kobo readers go to sleep only. Under Settings, Energy savings and privacy, you'll see options for Automatically go to sleep (mine is at 10 minutes), and Automatically power off after (set to Never). Then you avoid the long powering up time altogether. Even if I read only every 2 days, I'd still keep it asleep and not powered off (but I do read often daily).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Deleted -- Ripplinger beat me to it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
rosalita
Connoisseur
rosalita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
You don't need to patch to just let Kobo readers go to sleep only. Under Settings, Energy savings and privacy, you'll see options for Automatically go to sleep (mine is at 10 minutes), and Automatically power off after (set to Never). Then you avoid the long powering up time altogether. Even if I read only every 2 days, I'd still keep it asleep and not powered off (but I do read often daily).
Wow, thank you! Is this a new(ish) feature? I've had a Kobo e-reader since 2011 (first a Touch and now a Glo HD) and I could swear the max time before turnoff used to be 60 minutes, but I haven't looked at that setting for a while, assuming it would always be 60 minutes max.
rosalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Clara boot up times

My Clara's startup time is 5 turned over squares (tos &#128512 in 4.9.11311. (Did you really have 4.9.11314?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
My Kobo isnt patched at the moment to allow turning off after 48 hours (or whatever the max is). So after 1 hour it goes from sleep to off.
The max is just over 4 hours if you extend the time till power off with a patch. However, you can enter the minutes till power off in the Kobo eReader.conf file in the .kobo/Kobo folder (the text should already be there, you can just edit the numbers). I had a max of 55 hours working on my Glo in 4.8.x. My Clara doesn't want to stay asleep much longer than 36 hours with the same settings in 4.9.11311 though.

But indeed, unless you're not planning to read in weeeks there's not much point in switching off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalita View Post
Wow, thank you! Is this a new(ish) feature? I've had a Kobo e-reader since 2011 (first a Touch and now a Glo HD) and I could swear the max time before turnoff used to be 60 minutes, but I haven't looked at that setting for a while, assuming it would always be 60 minutes max.
No, 60 mins has always been the max but with the additional "never". As far as I can remember (two home-screens ago... aahhh the carrousel..)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalita View Post
The never setting existed for sleep and power off back in June, 2011 according to some of my notes. A quick search on MobileRead found this message from Aug., 2011: Power off vs. Sleep mentioning the Touch firmware set sleep to 15 minutes and power off to never out of the box.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #9
rosalita
Connoisseur
rosalita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The never setting existed for sleep and power off back in June, 2011 according to some of my notes. A quick search on MobileRead found this message from Aug., 2011: Power off vs. Sleep mentioning the Touch firmware set sleep to 15 minutes and power off to never out of the box.
Well, I'm just a knucklehead, then! Still, better late than never. I'm not sure I've ever gone a full day without picking up my Glo to read for at least a little while, so I'm excited to be avoiding the lengthy startup dance.
rosalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
Derf
Connoisseur

Quote:
I just made a recording of me turning on my Clara. The first 4 seconds I lift it up and push the power button, the LED lights, and the screen goes blank. The next 21 seconds the device boots up. The video ends at 26 seconds when it loads the home screen.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else with a ClaraHD and the latest firmware want to compare their boot-up time to mine? I would love to know if the newest firmware is bloated and actually taking longer to boot up on these devices, or if this is just something that pertains to me and my device, either related to the SD card I'm using, the number of books I have on my device, my database, or something else.

I'd love to hear some feedback from other ClaraHD users on their boot up time in comparison to mine.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #11
gavalanche20
gavalanche20 doesn't littergavalanche20 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD
Quote:
Out of curiosity, does anyone else with a ClaraHD and the latest firmware want to compare their boot-up time to mine? I would love to know if the newest firmware is bloated and actually taking longer to boot up on these devices, or if this is just something that pertains to me and my device, either related to the SD card I'm using, the number of books I have on my device, my database, or something else.

I'd love to hear some feedback from other ClaraHD users on their boot up time in comparison to mine.
I have a Clara HD with the 4.10.11655 software (I do have patches on if that matters). From the moment I press the button until the homescreen loads it took 24 seconds to boot up, although it took a couple seconds for the power button to light up.
gavalanche20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
Derf
Connoisseur

Quote:
Possibly...

So I just made a recording of me turning on my Clara. The first 4 seconds I lift it up and push the power button, the LED lights, and the screen goes blank. The next 21 seconds the device boots up. The video ends at 26 seconds when it loads the home screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavalanche20 View Post
I have a Clara HD with the 4.10.11655 software (I do have patches on if that matters). From the moment I press the button until the homescreen loads it took 24 seconds to boot up, although it took a couple seconds for the power button to light up.

Thanks, sounds like mine is normal. I guess the firmware has just bloated.