Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
makue
Custom User Title
makue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
PW3 5.8.10 jb-ed: MRPI keeps destroying some packages

Hi,

I did a severe mistake to reset a newly installed 5.8.10 update.
My PW3 has been jb'ed before and thanks to the great tool "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.b in" the jb has been recovered successfully or so it seems.

When re-installing my extensions I've noticed some are working others not. Python, Usbnet and the dummy packages went flawlessly.

Unfortunately neither the screen saver nor the librariansync package will install and the log file shows this:

Package 'Update_librariansync_1.10_kindle5.bin' (librariansync 1.10 kindle5) is not targeting your device [0KB vs. 11 0F 10 24 1B 1C 1D 1F 20 D4 5A D5 D6 D7 D8 F2 17 60 62 5F C6 13 54 53], skipping.

Do you have a hint what is happening here?

Matthias
makue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
[QUOTE=makue;3571850]Hi,

Never mind. Please make sure that you are using the correct packages for your device.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
makue
Custom User Title

Hmm, I was able to install the librarian sync directly by extracting the files into the extensions folder and the python screensaver files worked suddenly.

Ok so far I'm happy now and my PW3 is doing well.

So in the end I managed to test the

"update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.b in" and all my kudos go to the mastermind behind it!

I was rather down yesterday when I realized what I've done doing the reset from a freshly installed firmware version 5.8.10.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by makue View Post
Hi,

I did a severe mistake to reset a newly installed 5.8.10 update.
My PW3 has been jb'ed before and thanks to the great tool "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.b in" the jb has been recovered successfully or so it seems.

When re-installing my extensions I've noticed some are working others not. Python, Usbnet and the dummy packages went flawlessly.

Unfortunately neither the screen saver nor the librariansync package will install and the log file shows this:

Package 'Update_librariansync_1.10_kindle5.bin' (librariansync 1.10 kindle5) is not targeting your device [0KB vs. 11 0F 10 24 1B 1C 1D 1F 20 D4 5A D5 D6 D7 D8 F2 17 60 62 5F C6 13 54 53], skipping.

Do you have a hint what is happening here?

Matthias
Your PW3 model was one of the ones most recently added to KindleTool (which creates our packages).

Are you getting the most recent package builds from NiLuJe's snapshots thread?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
makue
Custom User Title

I've tried the 2 rescue packs, the screensaver and the downgrader.
The log file seems to be ok and the coward's rescue pack and the screen saver are working as advertised but I was a bit to nervous to try the downgrader yet.

-------------------mrpi installer log--------------------------------------------

2017-08-24 @ 15:49:09 +0200] :: [MRPI r13359] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_rp_20131220.N_install.bin' (rp 20131220.N I) . . .

--
Running 'run.ffs' for 'rp 20131220.N I' (Update_rp_20131220.N_install.bin) @ Thu, 24 Aug 2017 15:49:10 +0200

Success!

[2017-08-24 @ 15:49:31 +0200] :: [MRPI r13359] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_crp_2.N_install.bin' (crp 2.N I) . . .

--
Running 'run.ffs' for 'crp 2.N I' (Update_crp_2.N_install.bin) @ Thu, 24 Aug 2017 15:49:32 +0200

Success!

[2017-08-24 @ 15:49:40 +0200] :: [MRPI r13359] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_downgrader_0.1.N_install.bin' (downgrader 0.1.N I) . . .

--
Running 'install.sh' for 'downgrader 0.1.N I' (Update_downgrader_0.1.N_install.bin) @ Thu, 24 Aug 2017 15:49:41 +0200

system: I downgrader:install::no official update found, nothing will happen!
system: I downgrader:install::done
Unknown HZ value! (29) Assume 100.
system: I downgrader:install::mrpi detected, rebooting ourselves...
rm: can't remove '/mnt/us/mrpackages/staging': Directory not empty

Hu oh... Got return code 1 . . .

Last edited by makue; 08-24-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

why are you trying to install things not intended for your device / firmware combination?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
why are you trying to install things not intended for your device / firmware combination?
My guess would be so he can tell the world what doesn't work.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
makue
Custom User Title

ok dudes, what ist happening here?

I really appreciated your help and everything is working and the
log shows no problems.

So, why are you bashing me now ad hominem?

Last edited by makue; 08-24-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

log shows no problems.

So now that you realize there is a problem, I will give you the solution.
You are using the wrong files. That is why they are getting thrown out.
You must make sure the firmware matches.
You cannot put a 5.8.9 file on a 5.8.10 firmware.
You also have to make sure the hardware matches.

Knc1 has told you that at least 3 times but you keep grabbing the wrong file so it won't work.
Unless you are a NASA astronaut, you cannot fit a square peg in a round hole.
Make sure all the numbers match and you should have success.

You must read the digits very carefully.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
makue
Custom User Title

I'm completely puzzled now.

As I already wrote: "EVERYTHING IS WORKING" and I have no problems whatsever.

What is wrong with my communication?
I'm telling you everything is fine now and you tell me why it is my fault that something is wrong which is not the case at all. All extensions for my PW3 with bios 5.8.10 are working well now.

The hint from KNC1 to use the most recent package builds from NiLuJe's snapshots thread directly lead to success which I've documented by the excerpts from the mrpi installer log.

Phew, please help me what am I doing wrong here?
I asked for help, KNC1 gave mee the obvious hint which resolved all problems, I've documented the success and then I'm blamed not to read and listen?!

-------------------------------

The baseline to me is that even if you do an update on a jb-ed PW3 to 5.8.10 and then do a reset it is still possible to recover KUAL and all extensions by applying the Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin and then use the packages from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Last edited by makue; 08-24-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I'm completely puzzled now.

As I already wrote: "EVERYTHING IS WORKING" and I have no problems whatsever.

What is wrong with my communication?
I'm telling you everything is fine now and you tell me why it is my fault that something is wrong which is not the case at all. All extensions for my PW3 with bios 5.8.10 are working well now.

The hint from KNC1 to use the most recent package builds from NiLuJe's snapshots thread directly lead to success which I've documented by the excerpts from the mrpi installer log.

Phew, please help me what am I doing wrong here?
I asked for help, KNC1 gave mee the obvious hint which resolved all problems, I've documented the success and then I'm blamed not to read and listen?!
Let me reread your posts.
It may be a translation problem.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I've tried the 2 rescue packs, the screensaver and the downgrader.
The log file seems to be ok and the coward's rescue pack and the screen saver are working as advertised but I was a bit to nervous to try the downgrader yet.

-------------------mrpi installer log--------------------------------------------

2017-08-24 @ 15:49:09 +0200] :: [MRPI r13359] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_rp_20131220.N_install.bin' (rp 20131220.N I) . . .

--
Running 'run.ffs' for 'rp 20131220.N I' (Update_rp_20131220.N_install.bin) @ Thu, 24 Aug 2017 15:49:10 +0200

Success!

[2017-08-24 @ 15:49:31 +0200] :: [MRPI r13359] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_crp_2.N_install.bin' (crp 2.N I) . . .

--
Running 'run.ffs' for 'crp 2.N I' (Update_crp_2.N_install.bin) @ Thu, 24 Aug 2017 15:49:32 +0200

Success!

[2017-08-24 @ 15:49:40 +0200] :: [MRPI r13359] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_downgrader_0.1.N_install.bin' (downgrader 0.1.N I) . . .

--
Running 'install.sh' for 'downgrader 0.1.N I' (Update_downgrader_0.1.N_install.bin) @ Thu, 24 Aug 2017 15:49:41 +0200

system: I downgrader:install::no official update found, nothing will happen!
system: I downgrader:install::done
Unknown HZ value! (29) Assume 100.
system: I downgrader:install::mrpi detected, rebooting ourselves...

The last line of this post indicates you still have a problem. That caused the most recent confusion.
Hu oh and a frown usually indicate a problem.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #13
makue
Custom User Title

Oh my dear, now I understand.

You've been triggered and upset by the sign from the log.

This frown came from the log file and not from me and it was not intended!

Sorry if this tiny symbol triggered your criticism!

This entry in the log file had no impact to the successful installation of the extension at all.

Last edited by makue; 08-24-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Oh my dear, now I understand.

You've been triggered and upset by the sign from the log.

This frown came from the log file and not from me and it was not intended!

Sorry if this tiny symbol triggered your criticism!

This entry in the log file had no impact to the successful installation of the extension at all.
Too funny, but now you see how things got misconstrued.
Next time unless asked for specifics, just let us know something worked.
Logs are usually reserved for problems.
Great to know you had success.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -

Remove */mrpackages/staging.
MrPI may never work again until you do so.

Quote:

log shows no problems.

Because in a shell script, a return code of non-zero is an error indication.
And just above that error report is the line which tells you what the problem was (which you need to fix).
Quote:
- - - - -
Which has nothing at all to do with the error code, its cause, or the action which you should now take.

I assume you got that 'down-grader' from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

If you look (click) the last field that links back to the down-grader discussion thread, you will find that it uses the "poison filename" vector to execute its script.
(You could also examine the down-grader itself to learn that.)

That "poison filename" vector was used 5 years ago as the jail break vector:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186645

Amazon/Lab126 corrected their firmware for all firmware releases following 5.4.4.2

Your PW3 was first produced about 3 years AFTER that firmware correction (the first firmware version on the first PW3 was 5.6.1.1).

Translation of the above:
  • The filesystem status expected by MrPI is now corrupt.
    It is unlikely that MrPI will work properly until you empty that directory it wrote the error message about.
  • You have potentially installed (it should not have installed, but then again, that package's installation hasn't been tested in five years) a package that will not work on your device.
  • Your posts read by a non-technical user would give them the idea that this 5 year out-of-date package would/will work as intended.
    That is a major dis-service to all of our non-technical readers, most of whom are not even members.