Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Announces New Fire Tablets & Fire TV

Amazon just announced their new fall lineup of the Fire Tablets and Fire TV

New Fire Devices --> Key Specs --> Release Date
  • $230 -- Fire HD 10 --> 10.1" ~ 149 ppi ~ 16/32 GB ~ mSD --> 30 Sep
  • $150 -- Fire HD 8 --> 8.0" ~ 189 ppi ~ 8/16 GB ~ mSD --> 30 Sep
  • $100 -- Fire HD 6 --> 6.0" ~ 252 ppi ~ 8/16 GB ~ no mSD --> Oct 2014
  • $100 -- Fire Kids Ed --> 7.0" ~ 171 ppi ~ 8 GB ~ mSD --> 30 Sep
  • $50 -- Fire Tablet --> 7.0" ~ 171 ppi ~ 8 GB ~ mSD ~ 90-day warranty --> 30 Sep

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-24-2015 at 10:05 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like Amazon is abandoning the premium tablet market.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
So no new tablets over 8 or 16gb. The 10inch 32gb is the only one higher. At least I have my two 64gb HDXs

Last edited by Josieb1; 09-17-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Fire Tablets -- New
  • $260 -- Fire HD 10 --> 32GB w/ mSD
  • $230 -- Fire HD 10 --> 16GB w/ mSD
  • $170 -- Fire HD 8 --> 16GB w/ mSD
  • $150 -- Fire HD 8 --> 8GB w/ mSD
  • $100 -- Fire Kids 7 --> 8GB w/ mSD
  • $50 -- Fire 7 --> 8GB w/ mSD
Old 09-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
So no new tablets over 8 or 16gb. The 10inch 32gb is the only one higher. At least I have my two 64gb HDXs
Only the 10" models get more than 16GB. But, all of the new models (including the $50 model) have mSD card slots for additional storage up to 128GB.

Quote:
You can keep even more music, photos, movies, and games offline using a microSD card to expand your Fire tablet's storage by up to 128 GB. You can always enjoy free unlimited online cloud storage for all Amazon content and photos taken with your Fire devices.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-17-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Only the 10" models get more than 16GB. But, all of the new models (including the $50 model) have mSD card slots for additional storage up to 128GB.
Thanks I didn't spot that. It might work if Audible and Kindle will allow SD card storage. But I'll hang on to my two for a while. I see no reason to get a new one, and if I did I wouldn't want one bigger than a 7 inch
Old 09-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Looks like my credit cards are safe. Nothing entices me.
I can buy low end tablets at that price everyday and not have to be restricted to Amazon.

I like my Fire HD6, but after owning it, I doubt I would buy one of their tablets again. I'd buy from vendors that don't restrict their products.

I almost never watch my TV, so I'm out of the market for a TV gadget.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I have two of the recently released fire sticks so not after any new TV devices. I think this is a lack lustre release. The low priced tablet may generate some interest but I doubt the 8 or 10 inch will.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I feel the tablets will be good for the consumers that are short on cash and don't have a full understanding of the technology. I think the specs for the 10" are a little underwhelming.

My HD6 is a sweet size to carry around, but it's heavy. Now that they have made the instant videos available on other platforms, I don't really need it.

I do like the HD7 Kids edition. I always thought the HD6 might be small for some of the older children.

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 09-17-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thanks I didn't spot that. It might work if Audible and Kindle will allow SD card storage.
The Android Kindle App supports books on the SD card, so I'd be surprised if the Fire version didn't. I am, however, often surprised .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Android Kindle App supports books on the SD card, so I'd be surprised if the Fire version didn't. I am, however, often surprised .
Ditto for the Android Audible app. Not the Downpour app, though, IIRC.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Looks like Amazon is abandoning the premium tablet market.
sure does, while many might appreciate the return to a stock android experience 720p screens with a 149ppi on a 10 inch tablet, can you even read on that without your eyes bleeding ? Yikes, Now that you can DL prime video on IOS and Android tablets is there really even a need to own these ?
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
sure does, while many might appreciate the return to a stock android experience 720p screens with a 149ppi on a 10 inch tablet, can you even read on that without your eyes bleeding ? Yikes, Now that you can DL prime video on IOS and Android tablets is there really even a need to own these ?
My thinking too
Old 09-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
mycurlylocks
Addict

Hmm... the Fire 7 sure looks a lot like the DigiLand 7" from Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digiland...&skuId=8610212
Old 09-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've lost track of what low-end Android tablets cost these days. Are these good prices for the spec, or can you get cheaper elsewhere?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote