Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Naismith
Naismith began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
PDF to EPUP conversion after page cropping

To better use the whole screen of my BeBook, I usually try to crop (using Adobe Acrobat or PDF-XChange Viewer) the pages at least to get rid of headers and footers or page numbers.

I noticed that the PDF2EPUB routine of Calibre usually works well with these files, but still shows the headers and footers, like it was mentioned in this forum earlier. However, if I use the Text Viewer Mode of Foxit Reader, these unwanted lines are gone. I have to conclude that Foxit is able to distinguish if some lines are inside or outside of the printable area.

Would it be possible to add a function to Calibre, e.g. with a checkbox, to choose whether to convert the whole document or only its printable area? For me that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks a lot!
Naismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Header and footer removal should become largely automatic in the new PDF conversion engine currently under development.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Header and footer removal should become largely automatic in the new PDF conversion engine currently under development.

This new Engine: I want it I need it

I have almost 500 PDF's I want to convert
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Sorry to bring this topic up, but is this feature of removing headers and footers still under development or developed?

Right now, the options to remove headers and footers don't work. In addition, after cropping out the headers and footers from the PDF with a PDF editor, they still show up after the conversion to other formats.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Sorry to bring this topic up, but is this feature of removing headers and footers still under development or developed?
Still under development.

Quote:
Right now, the options to remove headers and footers don't work.
You have to write a regular expression to match the headers and footers in the document.

Quote:
In addition, after cropping out the headers and footers from the PDF with a PDF editor, they still show up after the conversion to other formats.
The software you are using it's removing the text. It is only hiding it when viewing. The current PDF engine does not make any distinction between hidden and visible text.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Ok, thanks very much for clarification! Here's eagerly anticipating the day when it'll be implemented.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
kristarella
kristarella began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Yay! Thanks for your hard work. Look forward to the new version.
kristarella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, cropping pdf, foxit, pdf conversion