Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Edit Book Window Disappears Now and Then, etc

(1) I've mentioned this before, but the Edit Book window is still disappearing now and then, usually after I've been using Calibre for a few hours. Is there anything I can do to avoid that from happening? I have 16GB of RAM. Upgrading from 8GB didn't make any difference. When I notice things slowing down, I'll close out my browser, Editpad, and File Explorer windows, but the Edit Book window will still just disappear, usually about once a day. Then I have to reboot to free up all the memory that isn't getting cleared away.

(2) Another problem I've had that causes Calibre to freeze up, in which I have to close the Edit Book window when the Windows pop-up for "Close Program" box pops up is this: When pasting a filename over the cover image filename in the titlepage.xhtml file that isn't the correct filename (yet, because I haven't edited the filename yet to have the correct filename), the titlepage.xhtml window becomes white and never responds, and then I have to close out the book I'm editing. Usually I paste the new code for the titlepage.xhtml above the section that has the current image filename, but once in a while, I forget to do that...and then it freezes at least half the time when I do that.

(3) I'm wondering if there is any way to have the chapters automatically renamed in the TOC (to Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc) during the Convert process when they are numbers, like 1, 2, 3, etc?

The Extra CSS in Styling and the other things I've learned from my questions in this forum have been working very well, thank you! Thanks to all of you, I've been able to do many more things during conversion, but I'm still having to manually edit some books for certain things that I don't think Conversion will do. One file I had today had "Copyright" for the CSS rule for the opening chapter paragraph (in a retail book..), so I know there will be some manual editing required to delete the linespaces between paragraphs, but I'm trying to learn everything I can about what I can do when converting.

Thank you!
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
(3) I'm wondering if there is any way to have the chapters automatically renamed in the TOC (to Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc) during the Convert process when they are numbers, like 1, 2, 3, etc?
You can always edit your toc.ncx and use S&R to change <text>(\d+)</text> to <text>Chapter \1</text>.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
You can always edit your toc.ncx and use S&R to change <text>(\d+)</text> to <text>Chapter \1</text>.
Thanks, but the question was if there was a way to do this during a conversion, which I'm almost certain there is no way.

In Edit Book, rather than do a search and replace in the toc.ncx, it's much quicker to open the TOC from the top menu, hightlight 1 through whatever the ending chapter number is, and then right-click and choose Automatically rename to Chapter 1 through whatever.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Thanks, but the question was if there was a way to do this during a conversion, which I'm almost certain there is no way.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html#id14

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Thank you, but I see nothing in that section about conversion automatically changing chapter numbers in the TOC to be renamed to "Chapter 1," "Chapter 2," and so forth.

But I did just add the Edit TOC icon to my main toolbar, so it will be quicker to use that to Bulk Rename all the chapter numbers to have "Chapter" before the numbers.
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Thank you, but I see nothing in that section about conversion automatically changing chapter numbers in the TOC to be renamed to "Chapter 1," "Chapter 2," and so forth.

But I did just add the Edit TOC icon to my main toolbar, so it will be quicker to use that to Bulk Rename all the chapter numbers to have "Chapter" before the numbers.
Go aback and reread the sections "Structure detection" and "Table of Contents".

Now look at the screenshot and read the nice little help pop up at the cursor.

bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-11-17 15-41-46.png
Views:	199
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	160080  
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #7
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Go aback and reread the sections "Structure detection" and "Table of Contents".

Now look at the screenshot and read the nice little help pop up at the cursor.

bernie
I'm having no problem with generating or creating a TOC. I'm not trying to find out how to generate a TOC during conversion.

I think there might be a misunderstanding of what I'm asking to do during conversion--and that is to Bulk Rename all chapter numbers in the existing TOC during conversion (instead of manually doing it in Edit Book)--to change to Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4, etc, when there are only chapter numbers, such as, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@deback - the ToC entries and the xhtml filenames that Conversion creates don't necessarily have a 1:1 relationship. I maybe wrong, but I don't think you can control the file names in conversion's output EPUB's.

However, the change Kovid added in response to this thread may go some way to getting what you want. Should be in next release.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
deback
Book E d i t o r

I'm not sure where you got that I'm trying to control filenames, because I'm not.

When the original creator of an epub file names the chapters as just 1, 2, 3, 4, etc (at the top of the first page of each chapter), and doesn't include the word "Chapter" in front of each chapter number, the TOC is created using just the numbers. This is understandable. I use the Bulk Rename feature (by highlighting the chapters, right-clicking, and choosing Bulk Rename, when in the TOC editor) very often when editing books, because I want the word "Chapter" to be included in the TOC. Why? So it's easier to touch the entry in the TOC when using a laptop or e-reader.

Anyway, I don't think the conversion process has any kind of bulk rename feature included, and that's understandable, too. I was actually just kidding when I originally said something about that in my first post in this thread.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@deback - This sub-forum is the Editor sub-forum

Quote:
Learn about calibre's Edit Book feature, capable of directly editing ePub and AZW3 formats and find help when problems with editing arise
So I wondered if you were referring to the Bulk Rename in the Editor.

If you posted single issue posts in the relevant locations, this sort of confusion would not occur.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #11
deback
Book E d i t o r

"If you posted single issue posts in the relevant locations, this sort of confusion would not occur."

Well, shame on me!

Notwithstanding the negativity and hostility in this forum (don't worry...I've gotten used to it...I just turn it all into positive thoughts), I want to take a moment and thank all of you who gave me tips on how to do much more with the conversion options and for letting me know about the existence of the Polish Books and Modify EPUB plugins. I've been able to accomplish many more things since then, and now, the only times I have to manually edit books (books that I've already edited, reformatted, etc, that I'm going through and redoing many things) is when (after converting) there is a duplicate cover image (due to the original cover image and titlepage not being marked as the cover image and cover titlepage by the publisher) and when the cover image is not centered (when it was centered in the original file--I just have to add the text-align: center; rule in the CSS file). I've even figured out how to use the Transform Styles section, which is working great to get rid of line-heights more than 1.2 and indents that are not 1.2em.

Thank you all very much! And especially a big, warm thanks to Kovid Goyal for his example for the entries in Styling (in addition to writing this program!), which has also helped immensely to lessen the time I spend manually editing EPUB files!

By the way, creating a new Windows user eliminated the various problems I was having with my original Windows user account. I believe my original user setup was corrupt somewhere (Windows Installer, I believe). In a few days, I'll be building a system with the i7-8700k CPU, the AORUS Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard, EVGA GeForce GT 730 video card, Le Grand Macho heatsink, EVGA 850W G3 PSU, and a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD. This new computer should speed up things greatly.

Last edited by deback; 11-18-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you followed the MR guidelines and (specific) forum conventions (not all written in a single place, but obvious from observation), you would receive a lot less hostility.

Splatter posting IS against the guidelines. Pick a topic and post. if you determine you picked wrong, Use 'Report this post' and asked it be moved.

Help here is by volunteers . Don't waste their time and efforts. Discovering someone else answered THE question in another thread after minutes of effort, pi**e* us off.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #13
deback
Book E d i t o r

Thank you, theducks. Glad you were able to chip in, too.

Last edited by deback; 11-18-2017 at 05:49 PM.