Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Easier way to sideload kfx books? (Fire Tablet 2015)

Hey team:

I have a 7" fire tablet from way back in 2015.

It looks like a .kfx format is the best for this device. I can generate them with calibre but even though calibre can detect it, it seems like when I try to send the book there; it does not work (via Calibre).

1) is there a way to send files via calibre?

I tried putting a kfx file on my microsd storage card (Kindle, Books, eBooks) and none of those places picked up my book.

2) Are books *only* allowed on the root storage?

3) Anyway to get XRAY working?

4) Anyway to get goodreads integration working?

5) Is there an easier way to transfer kfx files to the fire than adb push *.kfx /storage/sdcard0/kindle

?

Thanks in advance!
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
There is no single best format. KFX enables some features in the Kindle reading app that the other formats do not, but it is also the least well understood and supported format. The Limitations section of the KFX Output calibre plugin documentation describes some of the potential problems in using it.

1) I don't know how calibre works with Fire tablets.

2) It appears that the Kindle reading app in Fire OS only supports KFX files placed in internal storage, not on an SD card. This is unfortunate since KFX files tend to be large.

3) I doubt that KFX can be made to work with X-ray on a Fire tablet. It might be able to work on an e-ink Kindle reader, but there is no existing software to create X-ray files compatible with KFX.

4) I don't know about Goodreads. I don't use that feature.

5) You can also transfer files over USB using MTP or with a third party app that allows transfers via Wi-Fi.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert