Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which classic shall we read for September’s discussion?
Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy 5 23.81%
Hiroshima by John Hersey 9 42.86%
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie 4 19.05%
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux 8 38.10%
2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke 7 33.33%
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl 6 28.57%
Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling 7 33.33%
Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lewis Wallace 3 14.29%
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad 13 61.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #16
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Interesting vote this time. I am a little surprised to see Heart of Darkness in the lead, I haven't read it but isn't it one that many people are forced to read in school? That tends to leave a bad taste behind.

Three tied for second right now - Hiroshima (non-fiction account of the aftermath of using the bomb), 2001: A Space Odyssey (science fiction with a movie that is more well known than the book), and Captains Courageous (coming of age on the high seas) - all of which are very different from each other.

I suspect Hiroshima doesn't have more votes because of US availability, it doesn't appear to be available from the Amazon US Kindle store at least.
Yes, that might be an issue in some minds, but there IS a free version from Kobo that is available in the US. And conversion is a non-issue. Though I admit, even though it's now on my Kindle, I'm going with the Ed Asner reading.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #17
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

About availability in the US. Perhaps CRussel can confirm, but this looks to be it?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1946/08/31/hiroshima

It's right out there on the Internet so I would assume that copying or downloading this would not be a copyright violation?
Advert
Old 08-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that's it. And you can certainly read it directly on that site. However, Condé Nast retains copyright:

Spoiler:
Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (effective January 1, 2014) and Privacy Policy (effective January 1, 2014). Your California Privacy Rights The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast.

Given their willingness at the time of the initial publication to allow others to reprint the article, I suspect one could get permission. But just because it's freely available doesn't mean you can reproduce it without that permission.

And really, it's easy available for free on Kobo, so why bother? (Add to Library and then it is a direct epub or pdf download, not DRM'd. )
Old 08-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #19
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Also worthy of note on The New Yorker's web site is this more recent article -- Hiroshima and the Inheritance of Trauma, by Sarah Stillman.

Just to be clear, I'll be reading Hiroshima regardless of what we decide to do here as the MobileRead Book Club. But I would really like to have us all read and discuss it. I think it's a worthy read, it's short, it's free, and it will provide the basis for an excellent discussion, IMHO.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #20
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Gene Wilder died yesterday. For me, he'll always be the definitive Willie Wonka for dramatizations of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #21
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, that's it. And you can certainly read it directly on that site. However, Condé Nast retains copyright:

Spoiler:
Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (effective January 1, 2014) and Privacy Policy (effective January 1, 2014). Your California Privacy Rights The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast.

Given their willingness at the time of the initial publication to allow others to reprint the article, I suspect one could get permission. But just because it's freely available doesn't mean you can reproduce it without that permission.

And really, it's easy available for free on Kobo, so why bother? (Add to Library and then it is a direct epub or pdf download, not DRM'd. )
To be clear I was not suggesting copying and distributing that online source, nor turning it into an ebook and adding it to the MR Library. I'm sure the moderators would stop that. I'll just use it as a source to read on my computer since it's so short and convenient. It's been a while but last time I tried getting an ebook from Kobo it was not possible to get a DRM free epub download. This was over a year ago though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Also worthy of note on The New Yorker's web site is this more recent article -- Hiroshima and the Inheritance of Trauma, by Sarah Stillman.

Just to be clear, I'll be reading Hiroshima regardless of what we decide to do here as the MobileRead Book Club. But I would really like to have us all read and discuss it. I think it's a worthy read, it's short, it's free, and it will provide the basis for an excellent discussion, IMHO.
I'd like to see it win for that reason as well. Even if it does not in the past with some success a separate thread to discuss an interesting book has been put up here.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Ever since the nominations were finalized, I've had a recurring thought. I finally googled today and found this reddit post, quite coincidentally posted exactly a year ago today.

Not just me, then.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
To be clear I was not suggesting copying and distributing that online source, nor turning it into an ebook and adding it to the MR Library. I'm sure the moderators would stop that. I'll just use it as a source to read on my computer since it's so short and convenient. It's been a while but last time I tried getting an ebook from Kobo it was not possible to get a DRM free epub download. This was over a year ago though.
Fair enough, and thank you for that clarity.

As for downloading a freebie from Kobo? I just did it. I clicked on the "Download" button from the link I provided, then "View in Library", then "Return to your old library" and finally Download ePub from the dropdown list. What's downloaded is the ePub itself, not an acsm file, since Adobe isn't involved in the transaction at all.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Ever since the nominations were finalized, I've had a recurring thought. I finally googled today and found this reddit post, quite coincidentally posted exactly a year ago today.

Not just me, then.
Interesting. Which simply reinforces my opinion that if I want to read Heart of Darkness, I'll read it. Instead of a children's version.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #25
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:

Not just me, then.

Wow!
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:34 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Not just me, then.
To be honest,that Reddit thread is pure crap. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a fun book to read and reading such nonsense into it is just crazy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Wow!
Not wow but nut job conspiracy theorists who have no idea what's going on.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Everyone should vote for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (ad no other book so it can win) for Gene Wilder.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:25 PM   #29
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Everyone should vote for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (ad no other book so it can win) for Gene Wilder.
Ok, I voted for it.

I did vote for more than that one though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Ok, I voted for it.

I did vote for more than that one though.
The idea is to JUST vote for Charlie so it can win in honor of Gene Wilder.