Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-29-2014, 02:59 AM   #91
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've also installed the Kobo Touch Extended driver, I'm not sure if you need both but I installed both just too be sure.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211135
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:07 AM   #92
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022
Also update the firmware to 3.11, that allows the option in Reading Settings to show percentage left in a book or chapter. I use the book option as thats what I display on the kindle. Links to the firmware and instructions are in this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

You want this one in the first post

Oct 2014 Release - 3.11.0 - The Skippy the Bush Kangaroo Release and its this update you need to install

Mark 5 Hardware : New Aura (and probably the Aura H2O)
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #93
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
GeoffR - That helps a lot! Thank you. I will give it a go shortly.

Josie - Thank you so much for your replies! The software updated immediately so I do have the latest version. I did not install the kepub plugin yet, but I was going to give it a try today. Will keep at things today and see what I think.

Thank you both! Much appreciated.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #94
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I took some pics of the devices. I tried to keep everything as even as possible when I had the devices next to each other, lighting on the devices, fonts, etc.

I think you can sort which devices are which in the pics as it's fairly easy to see the page press buttons on the voyage, but in case anyone cannot. I also labeled the pics.

In the first pic it's the Voyage, H20, and the PW2.

Next 3 pics are each device on their own.

Following pic is the H20 and the Voyage. (taken in dim room with my iPad thus lesser quality pic)

Next is all 3 is a dimly lit room. (also taken with my iPad)

Next pic is H20 and the voyage, both with device lights on high at night.

The very last pic is a close up of the H20.

Pics can be enlarged if you click on them and then re-click on the them again a couple times.

Edited to add that I should be clear and say that my Paperwhite 2 is the earlier 2013 version. It is not the newest 2014 version which is most definitely improved further. I really think if anyone is looking to save money and not get an H20 or Voyage, but wants a reader with a built in light, the newest PW2 is an excellent choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	best2gther.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	130304   Click image for larger version

Name:	h20best.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	130305   Click image for larger version

Name:	voyagebest.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	130306   Click image for larger version

Name:	pw2best.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	130307   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobovoyage.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	130308   Click image for larger version

Name:	3bestt.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	130309   Click image for larger version

Name:	h20voyagelightonhigh.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	130374   Click image for larger version

Name:	H20.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	130469  

Last edited by sparklemotion; 11-01-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #95
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Sparkle, all of them look really good!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #96
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Sparkle, all of them look really good!
Thanks booklover! They do, I agree! The voyage looks worse in person, unfortunately, due to the two toned screen. It doesn't show in pics as much. It also doesn't show as much when the light is down low. It shows more with the light on mid to higher levels. It's a shame because if the screen was even it would be a perfect reader. So I'm definitely returning the voyage and won't be trying another unless they get better next year. I hung on to it mainly to compare it to the H20.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #97
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thanks booklover! They do, I agree! The voyage looks worse in person, unfortunately, due to the two toned screen. It doesn't show in pics as much. It also doesn't show as much when the light is down low. It shows more with the light on mid to higher levels. It's a shame because if the screen was even it would be a perfect reader. So I'm definitely returning the voyage and won't be trying another unless they get better next year. I hung on to it mainly to compare it to the H20.
That is a shame, because in the first pic, the Voyage looks fantastic. I do see a pinkish tone to it in the last pic.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #98
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That is a shame, because in the first pic, the Voyage looks fantastic. I do see a pinkish tone to it in the last pic.
It really is a shame because the voyage is a beautiful reader which razor sharp text and awesome contrast. Mine can be quite pink in certain light and the top is warmer.

I do think they will improve it by next year, hopefully at least. I also know some people on here received better, more even ones, that they are very happy with. I won't try again simply because I am happy with my PW2 so I don't want to torture myself with the exchange process. Especially this early on as I don't feel confident enough. (I went through it with both the PW1 and the 2 to a lesser degree.) The H20 I'm still deciding on.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #99
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you for the pics, sparklemotion! Your H2O screen is gorgeous! I hope I get one as nice Your PW2 looks lovely too.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #100
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Thank you for the pics, sparklemotion! Your H2O screen is gorgeous! I hope I get one as nice Your PW2 looks lovely too.
Thank you, xtine! Fingers crossed for you that you get a perfect H20! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #101
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks! It might be 2 to 3 weeks before I get my H2O but I'll be sure to update when I do.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #102
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures, Sparkle. The screen on the H20 looks great! The warm tone is inviting. Looking forward to ordering one Friday. I'm enjoying the Voyage, but need something for my sideloaded books.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #103
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures, Sparkle. The screen on the H20 looks great! The warm tone is inviting. Looking forward to ordering one Friday. I'm enjoying the Voyage, but need something for my sideloaded books.
You're more than welcome! Enjoy your H20 when it arrives!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #104
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I love the way the H2O renders the book, very nice. Because my current PW2 has a very yellow screen, I have a bit of an aversion to yellow/cream screens, so the cream H2O may not be as pleasant to my eyes as to others.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #105
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I love the way the H2O renders the book, very nice. Because my current PW2 has a very yellow screen, I have a bit of an aversion to yellow/cream screens, so the cream H2O may not be as pleasant to my eyes as to others.
I know what you mean and it's really the type of thing that comes down to personal preference. I tend to prefer something in between, not too white and not too yellow. haha. Good luck with that, right? When you compare the devices side by side is when you really see the differences in tones emerge. If I look at the H20 on its own it actually looks quite white, but when up against the PW2 and the voyage it looks more yellow.

Tags
kindle, kobo, voyage