Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #3736
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Punch View Post
Have just bought a Kindle 5 Non Touch (s/w version 4.1.3). It's serial number starts 9023...
It only has one (unnamed) font and I would like to add more.

Has anyone else successfully applied the jailbreak and font hacks covered in this thread to a Kindle 5 running F/W 4.1.3?

If so which versions of the two hacks worked for you?

Also, after applying the hacks, where do the extra fonts show up? In Menu > Change font size? Or somewhere else?
First, a few very important points:
There is no such thing (known here) that is a "Kindle 5" that runs firmware series 4.

I was going to refer you to the serial number / model nickname table, but I see that someone mis-edited it two days ago.
So it is no longer valid for your device.
(Did you do the editing, thinking that our table was wrong? If you are the one that changed it, please revert your edits.)

Never mind, I found and reverted the edit.

The only device(s) that run series 4 firmware are the Black and the Silver K4 devices.
The only device(s) that are known as "non-touch" are the Black and the Silver K4 devices.
A 9023 is a K4Black (I can swear to that on a stack of K4Black devices).

In answer to your question, yes, approximately 2-1/2 million people.

Last edited by knc1; 03-29-2017 at 10:36 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #3737
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur
Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS T1, Kindle 4 NT, Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
First, a few very important points:
There is no such thing (known here) that is a "Kindle 5" that runs firmware series 4.

I was going to refer you to the serial number / model nickname table, but I see that someone mis-edited it two days ago.
So it is no longer valid for your device.
(Did you do the editing, thinking that our table was wrong? If you are the one that changed it, please revert your edits.).
Not guilty! I checked 9023 against the model number / nickname table myself. Was puzzled that a Kindle 5 would have f/w 4.1.x!
Quote:
The only device(s) that run series 4 firmware are the Black and the Silver K4 devices.
So that means I have a black (non touch) Kindle 4?

Quote:
In answer to your question, yes, approximately 2-1/2 million people.
Time to fess-up. I have just tried the NiLuJe jailbreak hack:
Quote:
kindle-k4-jailbreak-1.8.N-r13342.tar.xz
which apparently succeeded since the kindle ended-up with a 'You are Jail broken' document on its home page.

I then applied this fonts hack
Quote:
kindle-fonts-5.16.N-r13408.tar.xz
and the Kindle's root folder certainly has a linkfonts/fonts folder in it full of fonts.

*But* then when I opened an ebook, and hit 'Menu' the only font-related item is 'Change font size', which doesn't list any new fonts at all!

So has something gone awry? Or is the option to change the main font in a book hidden away somewhere else?

martin

Last edited by Suffolk Punch; 03-29-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Suffolk Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #3738
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The edit was done late last year.
It has been there for months and this is the first time it was noticed.

I do not recall if the K4 font addition also populates the font menu, or if all you can do is change the default font.

The thing to do would be check the first post (open all spoilers) and also check the distribution archive for a README file.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #3739
moraesm
moraesm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Cannot change the books font

Hi guys.

I have a K3W. I've applied the jailbreak and the screen saver hack, which worked fine. But although the font hack changed all system fonts, the book font remains the same. Any ideas?

Thanks!
moraesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #3740
moraesm

It seems that the fonts changed only for some books. The others are showing the default fonts.
Advert
Old 04-13-2017, 01:56 AM   #3741
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraesm View Post
It seems that the fonts changed only for some books. The others are showing the default fonts.
What model Kindle?
What format books do not change?
If kf8 books, go to first post, open the spoiler below "Fonts" and read it all again.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #3742
moraesm

It´s a Kindle 3. The files which are not changing are in the AZW3 format. I've read it all again, tryed to remove nobrowser, but it didn't work.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #3743
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
It´s a Kindle 3. The files which are not changing are in the AZW3 format. I've read it all again, tryed to remove nobrowser, but it didn't work.
What firmware version?
Did you re-start the Kindle after making the change to the options?
Was the USB cord unplugged from the Kindle when you restarted it?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #3744
moraesm

Quote:
What firmware version?

Quote:
Did you re-start the Kindle after making the change to the options?
Sure, every time.

Quote:
Was the USB cord unplugged from the Kindle when you restarted it?
No, it wasn't.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #3745
moraesm

Sorry, the cord was unplugged every time. Any ideas?
Old 04-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #3746
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Sorry, the cord was unplugged every time. Any ideas?
Not a clue.
From what you have written, I would expect it to work.
But I could be wrong, since I have never used it on a K3 myself.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #3747
moraesm

I solved the problem. I was removing the nobrowser file and thought It would work even If I had installed the font hack earlier. It worked when I reinstalled the font hack and removed the nobrowser file at the same time.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #3748
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
[SOLVED]
My "custom" fonts aren't showing... This is a new install of python, linkfonts and linkss.
I've done this before without any probs on my older PW2. I put the fonts I like into: /mnt/us/linkfonts/fonts/,
ran Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior > Update fontconfig cache which then also restarted the framework... (on the older PW I had to then run Fonts > Restart the framework now).
When I go to choose a font from the Custom folder all I get are the 3 already there: STKai, STYuan, TsukushiMincho. Am I leaving something out?
Please forgive me I didn't restart the X server... ooops! Anyway, nice to be back in the dunce corner where I belong. I've been too long away. And thanks to knc1! He propped me up again!

Last edited by nypaulie; 07-05-2017 at 04:11 PM.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #3749
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
[SOLVED]
My "custom" fonts aren't showing... This is a new install of python, linkfonts and linkss.
I've done this before without any probs on my older PW2. I put the fonts I like into: /mnt/us/linkfonts/fonts/,
ran Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior > Update fontconfig cache which then also restarted the framework... (on the older PW I had to then run Fonts > Restart the framework now).
When I go to choose a font from the Custom folder all I get are the 3 already there: STKai, STYuan, TsukushiMincho. Am I leaving something out?
Please forgive me I didn't restart the X server... ooops! Anyway, nice to be back in the dunce corner where I belong. I've been too long away. And thanks to knc1! He propped me up again!
This is the thread (and the add-ins) for the keyboard devices.

The thread for the touchscreen devices:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=195474
The most recent builds are in the usual place:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

And if you have trouble with 'cover mode' when reading kfx format books, there is a fix for that near the end of the K5 ss thread.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #3750
mil
mil began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kyobo Mirasol, Yotaphone 2, Bouye t62
Hi, please, help me uninstall hack fonts for kindle dx international (2.5.3-ufh.0.3)005 , all uninstall files in attached not works, maybe older files version need for uninstalling this hack.
It is need me for update my kindle to version 2.5.8
mil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet