Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
ItalianUruguayan
Connoisseur
ItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Dead line on my Glo HD's screen

I'm really sad. A dead line appeared on my screen, and it seems to be permanent. The line is light gray and it is present at all times, as you can see in the picture:

Do you know what could be causing this? This is honestly the best eReader that I have ever owned, and it has been discontinued. I would like to repair it myself, if possible.

ItalianUruguayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Not knowing that much about it, I would guess it might a lose screen cable inside. But others know a whole more about this than I do.

If you're in love the Kobo Glo HD (and this one can't be fixed), Rakuten (themselves) sell refurbished Glo HDs on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Glo-HD...AAAOSwKXdahfL7

EDIT: Just realized you were in Spain. I know Rakuten sells (or used to sell) these refurbished readers on some European eBay sites, but I don't see Spain included.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-21-2018 at 03:23 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #3
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Yes indeed, it might be a "loose cable", no joke. But there are so many lines and pixels that these are not actually implemented as cables, everything is micrometer size hard soldered on a board, so you can't do anything yourself. Maybe it could be possible to replace the whole screen, but I don't know if you'll find a Glo HD screen out there, and I think it is not user friendly to implement in. Others might know better.
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:19 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemonde View Post
Yes indeed, it might be a "loose cable", no joke. But there are so many lines and pixels that these are not actually implemented as cables, everything is micrometer size hard soldered on a board, so you can't do anything yourself. Maybe it could be possible to replace the whole screen, but I don't know if you'll find a Glo HD screen out there, and I think it is not user friendly to implement in. Others might know better.
Except that there is a ribbon cable connecting the screen to the PCB. That could be loose. Pulling the back off and checking the cable is fairly easy.

For replacing the screen, there are frequent questions about finding. And occasional posts of people who have found a screen and done the work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:30 AM   #5
ItalianUruguayan
Connoisseur
ItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Except that there is a ribbon cable connecting the screen to the PCB. That could be loose. Pulling the back off and checking the cable is fairly easy.

For replacing the screen, there are frequent questions about finding. And occasional posts of people who have found a screen and done the work.
Thank you very much for all your replies. I will pull the back off and try to look at the ribbon cable more closely. I already did it yesterday, disconnecting and connecting it again to see if that could help, with no success.

When I did that, I didn't see anything wrong with the cable or the connector. Any idea on what I should look for? Minuscule scratches?
ItalianUruguayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 05:10 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianUruguayan View Post
When I did that, I didn't see anything wrong with the cable or the connector. Any idea on what I should look for? Minuscule scratches?
Unfortunately, if you've already re-seated the ribbon cable, that's probably not the problem.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote